Rem receiver reblue

As to the reblue, I would be tempted to watch some YouTube videos and try it myself.
:eek: Really??? Well, ask yourself this: if it was that easy, why do gunsmiths who do bluing charge so much for it? While your attitude shows a lot of ambition, it says more about your low opinion about those of us who earn a living building and repairing firearms. If you do decide to "watch some YouTube videos and try it myself", make sure you get it on video, I need something to amuse me.

Really??? Well, ask yourself this: if it was that easy, why do gunsmiths who do bluing charge so much for it?

Really depends on what you are going for, doesn't it? If I wanted a heirloom quality bluing job for a safe queen, I would probably pay a pro. I have no interest in that though.

For a hunting rifle that is going to get used in the field, I am partial to parkerizing. If I was in the OP's shoes, as he described, "The receiver bluing isn’t too bad but the bottom metal has suffered over the last 65 years" I would probably leave the action alone and cold blue the bottom metal and not worry about it. I am a form follows function kind of guy.

Do-it-yourself gun projects can be fun, especially if you just want to do a good job, not an excellence-in-gunsmithing job. If you aim for the heavens and succeed, you end up with a piece that is no earthly good for its inherent purpose.
Some guys have these big, spotless, shiny, customized, luxurious 4-wheel drive rigs that can never be taken to a real back-country trail-head because the owner will cringe every time the branches go, "Screeeee!", all down the sides of their status-symbol truck. But, such a truck does look pretty in the parking lot of the strip-club.
So, what can you do with a rifle that's too nice to take hunting?

Not many "plating services" are federally licensed to work on serial numbered receivers, especially when the work is held and not done for a couple of days.
All serial numbered receivers must be logged into a 'bound book' and then dispositioned properly after the work is done.
So, that solution was not very well thought out, even for an alleged one-time FFL holder. :rolleyes:

The statement in post #14 is true. Stainless steel barrels and receivers can be blued with a specific bluing solution as sold through Brownells. Much cheaper than ANY type of plating.

Burrhead- Man, I'm glad I didn't ask around here before I put a stainless barrel on my 03A3 action. I agree with you- a man wants what a man wants.

I feel like I messed up and went with a 6mm Remington chambering on my project, now I wish I hadn't. 6 Rem is going definitely not a highly stocked item. Having said that, there sure seems to be a whole lot more options for .243W and this new 6.5 Creedmore than even .257 Roberts. I like the Bob, but there isn't much of it around either.

Good luck on your project, I wish I had some good resources for you.

As an added thought, I kind of like the look of stainless up against a parkerized finish, and it's pretty danged durable.

"Reboring will cost a ton of money. A great deal more than another barrel."
I forget what JES charges for a rebore but I think it's less than $300. $250 or $275 seems to come to mind but you'd have to check)Ain't no way in hell you can do a rebarrel for that kind of money unless the gunsmith is a close buddy and does it as a favor.
I'm looking at a rebarrel on a Winchester M70 .338 Win. mag. to 7MM Rem. mag. The rifle is and Stainless Classic and the rebarrel with a Douglas barrel is $750 to $800.
From what I've been hearing, People who have had JES rebore a rifle have all been well pleased. I have a Ruger #1 that has a lousy barrel. I've been thinking about sending it to JES and reboring it to either 338-06 or .35 Whelen with the latter being the most likely.
Paul B.

Back