Rem 770

PlatinumCore16

So before ALL the hate floods in, I have researched the internet over from videos/reviews of people who have owned it to keyboard warriors who have reposted the reddit picture ad nauseum. I know what this rifle is marketed/priced for and I understand what Remington was trying to accomplish. Good on them, though QC might've been a bit better, however I don't have it yet, nor have I handled one so I will reserve final judgement.

Now the only reason I'm getting one is because a good friend of mine said he got it a while back and he hated it, so he never shoots it. He knew I was in the market for a high power rifle and offered it to me for the price of shipping. Need I say more...

Now there's a few old sayings that I've taken to heart here.
Firstly: you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Sure the Rem 770 is a budget hunting rifle mostly marketed towards the beginning hunter or hunter on a budget. It'll kill a deer dead, but it's not gonna make a 1k yard shot, let alone a 500 yard shot. Though I have read of some folks that were very fortunate and got a really good shooter that they found ammo it really likes. But I'm paying MAYBE $50 for the shipping, FFL transfer, and background check. I'm pretty sure that's an absolute steal no matter how you look at it.
Secondly: there are people with time and not money and people with money and not time. Rarely are there folks with time AND money. I happen to fall into the time>money. So if I have to put a little elbow grease into this gun, it's worth it to me, but I'm not going to be investing a whole bunch of $$$ into this gun.

So here's the real reason for my post. I know that there are a few issues with the gun, namely the sling swivels. So I wanted to start a thread and I shall update it with my progress of "upgrades", more so modifications really, and let you all judge them and hopefully help out others who perhaps were gifted this gun or decided to buy it regardless of all of the issues and internet hate.

Let the judgement begin!
Platinum

As I recall, there were functioning/manufacturing/design issues with the 770. Supposedly the bolt tends to be sticky and the bolt handles break off. They run about $250 to $300, scoped, on Gunbroker.
An SPS is an entry level hunting rifle too. It's not the rifle that makes a 500 or 1,000 yard shot either.
"...for the price of shipping..." Grab it and run. snicker. Gunparts shows short action mags(same mag as a 710) at $19.20 each. (Less on the assorted auction sites.) And factory sling swivel studs at $6.45 each.
There are people with too much time and money too. Those are the people who make M1 Rifles and Carbines, 'correct'. snicker.

For the price of shipping sure go for it, however, I wouldn't dump money into the rifle that you can't get back. I'd put a decent set of bases and rings on it then a $150-$200 hunting scope and call it good.

Buy a few types of factory ammo and hunt with the one that shoots best. The 770 is a budget hunting rifle it is not a budget range rifle. The barrel is a press it into the receiver, it's not even threaded in.

If you sight it in and check it before season and hunt...you'll be OK. If you try to shoot it every month at the range, you'll wear it out quickly. Every 770 that I've personally seen the bolt has been very loose and "sloppy" 2 of them the bolts wouldn't even stay locked into the receiver. If you had the bolt open and pointed the barrel up to the sky the opt would fall out. But they did all shoot well enough to hunt. That's my $.02

the remington 700 sps series rifles are leaps and bounds over a remington 770. i have several and they will with the right loads shoot 2-3 inch groups at 300 yards when i read the wind right. eastbank.

I'd get it, put it up for sale for the $250-300 I could get out of it and put that towards something halfway decent. The gift horse is being able to make a small profit on that hunk of junk.

T, I believe you are correct in that the bolts were sloppy, but I don't believe that was a defect. I'm pretty sure that was due to the nylon/plastic insert in the receiver. As to the bolts breaking off, I also believe you are referring to the bolt stop, which was indeed very poorly designed/made. Though I could be wrong on all counts and feel free to correct me.

Car I agree with you, it's not a range rifle, but I think that I can invest the $20 for some sand paper, JB weld, and a metal swivel stud to replace the front one. If I buy a bipod to put on it, I won't be losing that because I can always move that to another rifle in the future. But at the same time, I do plan on getting a better rifle in the future, I just couldn't really turn down the offer, so if I shoot out the barrel, I certainly won't be upset about it. I'm not planning on this thing lasting forever.

East, I am not buying a rifle outright, so whilst I appreciate the advice, I'm paying $50 for a (barely) used rifle, I'm not buying a $250-$300 that would be money better spent on a slightly more expensive rifle at $400.

Salty, that's funny. I didn't even think of that, but seeing as I'd like to have a high power rifle, I think I'll shoot this for now and worry about saving up for a Savage later on.

Just for info, I had decided on a Savage Scout, but I knew I was going to have to save up for that. So when this dropped into my lap, I thought it would be a nice hold over until then.

I'd check to see which trigger is in that one. If it is part of the recall then Remington will replace it if you send it in and wait a few months. If it isn't part of the current recall it will be part of the next one. Personally I'd just replace it with aftermarket and be done with it. A replacement trigger is will run a bit over $100 and is a DIY project. Need to figure that into the costs as well

The earlier 710 was the worst of the Remington budget rifles, the 770 was a big improvement. Other than flawed triggers in almost all Remington bolt guns I don't think the 770's are as bad as their reputation. By all accounts they shoot very well. As do most of the budget guns from all of the manufacturers.

I have shot a 770 .. My buddy won one on Gunbroker for 150.00 ? ...30-06 ... After we got used to the trigger .. It shot well .. He would take it as his back up on hunting trips ... He has taken at least one deer that I know of .. And one nosey coyote..
I have taken several paper plates and a few 2 liter pop bottles...
I also shot a youth model in 243 ...

The Remington 783 is a great rifle .. I recently sold mine in 270 to a fellow that needed it worse than me ( I have my Model 70 )... It shoots great very accurate.. Great ajustable trigger .. A big leap over the 710/770 ...

Im keeping my eye open for a deal on a 783 youth in 308 ... and I heard thru the grapevine Remington is going to have a 783 in 6.5 Creedmoor ...

You got a good rifle at a bargin price ..!!

If I got a Marlin X7, I'd give it a good cleaning and go hunting. If I got a Mossberg MVP I'd give it a tune up and see what could be made out of it.

I wouldn't own a Remington 710 / 770 if it were free and if somebody snuck one into my safe I certainly wouldn't sink any money into it.

PLATIN, my post was about comparing the 700 sps to the 770 as entry lever rifles and the rem 700 sps isn,t. eastbank.

Ah alright, thanks for the clarification east.

Update: my buddy says he's hopefully gonna get the rifle shipped by the end of the week, we'll see if that actually happens, but I'm hopeful!

I'm not sure I understand the question. For the cost of shipping, I'd buy cap guns, Hi-Points and even Glocks. If you're willing to put a "little elbow grease" and not dump any money into a free rifle, I'd not be looking for cavities or an under-bite. ;)

I'm not sure I understand the question. For the cost of shipping, I'd buy cap guns, Hi-Points and even Glocks. If you're willing to put a "little elbow grease" and not dump any money into a free rifle, I'd not be looking for cavities or an under-bite. ;)

Get the best scope and mounts you can for it and shoot it . Enjoy it if you want to upgrade a remmy go get a 700 adl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a 710 in 30-06 and for what it is I think it's a fine rifle it won't win any beauty contest but it shoots and it kill just fine I have used the rifle for 12 years now with the same Bushnell scope that came with it the only thing I can say is clean all the oil off the bolt you have to run it dry or it will be very sticky not that it's that smooth but if you try to oil it it will be very sticky.mine likes Hornady superformance 165 probably not a long range rifle but I did tip a doe over at 351yds so I have no complaints.

Ludwig, I wasn't really asking a question. Just making a post to say I've acquired a 770 in 30-06 from a very generous friend of mine. I'd like to put some legs on it and I know that the front swivel stud is just molded into the plastic, so I'm going to be doing some cheap modifications to put a metal swivel in there. Other than that, I'll just be shooting it for now, see how I like the scope that's on it currently and possibly invest in something better because it's not like the scope is attached forever. But it's not like I'll be buying a new stock or putting a muzzle brake on it, so the money investment will be mostly into objects that I will be able to use on other rifles in the future.

You're right, of course. I was just playing off your "never look a gift horse in the mouth" axiom. :) I'm interested in what you do to the rifle and how you do it. Keep us updated.

My friend finally got to his LGS this morning and the rifle should be on its way either today or tomorrow! If it's in before the weekend I'll have a range report by Sunday.

The Rem770 arrived yesterday and I was able to pick it up along with my Savage yesterday evening. Talk about a kid on Christmas! My buddy had painted over the original matte black stock with a blue/dotted pattern. The gun looks good overall, a little speckling on the top of the receiver, but that's easily fixable/manageable. I also live in a much dryer climate than what it came from, so I'm really not worried about that. The barrel is NOT free floated, just FYI for anyone curious. The mag does seem pretty flimsy, so I think I'll have to be babying that. As all of the internet reviews are quick to point out, the bolt does tend to bind if you are not cognizant of how you are working the action. As long as you hold on to the bolt solidly so as to not put too much torque on it, the action works well enough and I'm sure that will wear in over time.

Something I found interesting was that the bolt is a 2 piece bolt. The body is all one bit, but there is a detached head. I had thought that all Remington's were 1 piece bolts, as one of their claim to fames. However I would presume that the 2 piece allows the rifle to accommodate small nuances in the action/receiver/bolt/barrel. The bolt is also a 3 lug, again thought that Remington was pretty solidly a 2 lug bolt manufacturer.

The scope is a price point Nikon 3-9. I see nothing physically wrong with it, or the adjustments, so that is good. The turrets are just covers, but the adjustments are able to be done by hand without tools, so a good compromise.

As all other reviews have stated, this is a budget/price point rifle that made a lot of compromises to reach an absurdly low price for a large caliber rifle. I'll see this weekend if those compromises really affected the shooting of this rifle, but I think it will perform as it was designed to: minute of deer.

So I didn't really have as much time as I wanted to sight in both rifles, so I mostly focused on the Savage. However I put a few mags through the 770 and I found a few things:
- Definitely upgrade the recoil pad. My buddy already had and it helps the kick. I thought a 30-06 would leave me feeling it for a few days, but it didn't even sting while shooting it. Maybe that was only because I put ~20 rounds through it, but anything helps.
- Get a different scope. The basic 3-9 that comes with the scope only has about 1.8" of eye relief, which is just enough to let it pop you in the safety glasses. So to be far enough away means you have a ring of fuzz around the outside of your view. Again, a compromise made by the powers that be and it hurt the gun a little bit and potentially your forehead.
- Mag feels real weak. When you see the picture on the internet of the mag that blew itself apart, it's not hard to imagine that mine could to that. It's real chincy.
- The scope is useless beyond 5x. I get some real bad paralax or something when I dial up the magnification. Idk if it was my contacts or what, but I couldn't get the crosshairs and target, let alone just the target to focus, to superimpose them.

All in all, it was a lot of fun to get it out and shoot at some 100yd paper. When I actually get the crosshairs zeroed, I will then move out to some longer ranges. The barrel isn't free floated, as I stated before, so I will continue shooting it as is for now.

So I didn't really have as much time as I wanted to sight in both rifles, so I mostly focused on the Savage. However I put a few mags through the 770 and I found a few things:
- Definitely upgrade the recoil pad. My buddy already had and it helps the kick. I thought a 30-06 would leave me feeling it for a few days, but it didn't even sting while shooting it. Maybe that was only because I put ~20 rounds through it, but anything helps.
- Get a different scope. The basic 3-9 that comes with the scope only has about 1.8" of eye relief, which is just enough to let it pop you in the safety glasses. So to be far enough away means you have a ring of fuzz around the outside of your view. Again, a compromise made by the powers that be and it hurt the gun a little bit and potentially your forehead.
- Mag feels real weak. When you see the picture on the internet of the mag that blew itself apart, it's not hard to imagine that mine could to that. It's real chincy.
- The scope is useless beyond 5x. I get some real bad paralax or something when I dial up the magnification. Idk if it was my contacts or what, but I couldn't get the crosshairs and target, let alone just the target to focus, to superimpose them.

All in all, it was a lot of fun to get it out and shoot at some 100yd paper. When I actually get the crosshairs zeroed, I will then move out to some longer ranges. The barrel isn't free floated, as I stated before, so I will continue shooting it as is for now.

Sounds good to me . I personally don't care fir them but everyone I seen dies what it is surpose to do .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back