photo (11).JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 55
  • photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 44
  • photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 41
the one with the scope on it is my new .17 hmr i picked up this weekend. the .308 is scopeless for two weeks

Attachments

• photo (14).JPG
    photo (14).JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 39
  • photo (15).JPG
    photo (15).JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 37
heres some pics with the new scope

Attachments

• photo (22).JPG
    photo (22).JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 26
  • photo (23).JPG
    photo (23).JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 23
  • photo (25).JPG
    photo (25).JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 24
i went with the boyds. im very happy with it and it cost less than the bell and carlson. boyds has several different designs and they do have them for the adl

I have several Boyd's now and am liking them alot. All have "dropped in" as they said it would, so inletting is pretty good. I am going to bed them all anyway, so close will work, and a good pillar/bedding job will just solidify the setup.

Boyds Varmint Thumbhole

You got me interested in the Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/VT-REMINGTON-700-ADL-SA-p/660-711.htm

It appears to be a beauty and at a great price!

The description of the stock contains "Bull Barrel Channel" which is a bit confusing when you read the additional info under the "Read prior to ordering":

"Varmint Contour: - called out as BBC on the models we offer. These are generally a heavy contoured barrel that can be put into our Ross FT design stock. You cannot fit a varmint barrel into our JRS sporter stock unless you are willing to give up the 'flats' or rails on the top and sides of the forend. The stock will be safe to use but cosmetically unpleasing to look at. The Ross Ft will allow this contour but Flats or rails will be narrow at forend tip.

Bull Barrel: This barrel is usually a straight contour, usually 1" or 1.250" in diameter. Inletting of barrel channel will be needed on our BBC stocks or on our heavier forend stocks i.e. Varmint Thumbhole."

Not totally familiar with the lingo, but it sounds like the standard, factory varmint barrel on the 700 ADL should fit (with potentially minimal fitting) the bull barrel channel on this stock. Sound right?

Also, I'm not real familiar with the bedding required to get max accuracy out of this stock. How difficult is it to bed the action to this stock? Ie, what is required and is it even necessary based on your experiences? They also offer the "ACRAGLAS GEL GLASS BEDDING KIT by BROWNELLS" kit for $25.

Thx!
Steve

i have the varmint thumbhole stock, i can tell you its a very good fit. my 700 has the heavy varmint barrel, and it slipped right in the stock and was very well free floated.

i used this bedding kit http://www.midwayusa.com/product/502904/score-high-deluxe-pillar-bedding-kit-remington-700-brown

came with everything needed and included a very helpful instructional dvd.

my advise would be to bed with a dirty gun. i left mine dirty as a just incase, boy was i glad i did. i managed to drip a little epoxy into the chamber. i thought for sure i had just ruined a rifle, but beings that it was still dirty and oily it came right out.

i didnt try the stock before i bedded it. there was no real point for me, im driving for max accuracy to start with. this was my first bedding job and i would do it again in a heart beat.

well....., you fill all the places you dont want epoxy with clay, the instructions said nothing and i too missed the " chamber pressure relief hole" (idk what the proper term is) so when i layed the rifle upside down over night to cure some of it creeped in the hole, and into the chamber.

believe me, i almost had heart failure when i saw it, luckily it came out with zero effort.

Back