rem 700 sps varmint stock replacement

kmaysob

hey guys, im wanting to replace the stock on my 700. i found one i like on boydes gun stocks.com. im looking at the ross varmint thumb hole. now they do not list one for the sps. adl and bdl only. i have heard the bdl stock is what i want. its supposed to be made for a heavy barrel but says some fitting is required. my question is, has anyone used this on their rifle and just how much fitting is required? am i gonna spend a weekend just trying to get the action to fit before bedding? how about the barrel? theyre stocks do come unfinished correct? planning to float the barrel and do a full glass with pillar bedding job. im pretty happy with the trigger so far , but may eventually go to the timiney trigger. finally started developing some loads for it this last week, i plan to shoot them tomorrow and make note of what shoots best. gonna have a good ot check coming my way, so im planning on a harris bipod and a replacement stock asap. any advise / info is greatly appreciated

if your dead set on the boyds then get it, there isnt much fitting needed, you would only need to pillar bed it. if i remember right the one with the varmint barrel channel is the one you want.

i put a H S precision on my 700 varmint 308. it is already bedded. its the same stock that comes on the police model.

Im Not dead set on the boydes. Open to suggestions. I really like the design of the boydes though. I was looking at the varments model. So am i correct to assume i want to buy for a bdl?

yeah, you're looking for a short action BDL stock with heavy "bull" barrel channel.

Are you looking specifically for a wood stock?

I've just put a Boyd's on my Ruger 77 MkII and it was "drop in" except I had to open the smallest part of the barrel channel up just a tad. I used a socket that fit in the channel with sandpaper wrapped around it and just took it easy until I got it. No work at all. The Boyd's is completely finished externally and comes with sling swivels. I paid the extra $55 for the laser checkering. Here's a pic of mine. Worth every penny. Also a link to a barrel bedding tool that would really make this a piece of cake. If you have a SPS the BDL (with floorplate) model would be the one, short action or long action (whatever you have).

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6796/Product/BARREL-BEDDING-TOOL

Attachments

• deleteitnow.jpg
    deleteitnow.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 51
Thanks guys, it will be atleast a week before i order , so ill do some more lookin. I suppose while ive got this post up, ill ask another question. Looking to get a new recoil pad. Ive always heard limbsaver was the way to go, but recently i read some reviews that basically said theyre great for the first year or so and they start to fall apart. This has me questioning the limb saver. Anything better out there?

I put my SPS into one of the Bell&Carlson Medalist A3 stocks. Great stock. Dropped right in and reduced group size signifigantly.

tobnpr: thanks for the link. im very tempted into the cobalt blue/ grey or the safari color.

Attachments

• stocks.jpg
    stocks.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 67
thanks for all the info guys, im headed out of town for two weeks of work, ill order this when i get back. ive been developing loads for this thing over the last week or so. went and shot them this morning and was quite impressed with 2 of the three loads i tried. gonna play with the charges a little. i do think the new stock should help a bit, as it will be a better fit and should be a little easier to use. looking at both the boydes and the stockeys , they are all laminated. this isnt something i should be concerned with is it?

Laminated wood doesn't "move" (grow or shrink) compared to a solid wood blank which changes your POI and is much stronger. Maybe very slightly but hardly noticeable.

For best results, bed the action and install pillars when you can. Be sure the barrel is free-floated...

Why not TRY it before you go to all of the extra work of bedding, etc. etc. etc????
You do realize the weight of a laminated stock vs regular wood or composite???? If you have only bench plans for the gun then it won't be an issue but if it's to be carried afield, look out!!!

its a bench gun, its really too heavy to carry in the field with the factory stock. once i add the new stock, bed it,and add a vx3 it will be quite heavy.

Back