Rem 700 or Win model 70, which would you choose!

The title say's it all! I have a 700 because I had no idea what I was doing when I got it, and it seems as though it's the Chevy 350 of rifles. And for the record, I still don't know much.;)

Last edited:
I like the new Safari express made by FN in .375 H&H or .458 Win Mag.

There was a new Winchester model 70 feather weight with Walnut stock and stainless steel action/barrel. Nice rifle. I wish there were more stainless rifles with walnut stock's.

For a hunting rifle, I would choose a Winchester model 70, but for target shooting with match bullets the Remington 700 heavy barreled are excellent. Very accurate.

Depends on what you want to do with the rifle. M70 is the better hunting rifle and the M700 is better for tactical/target shooting. But don't let that stop you from hunting with a M700 or target shooting with a M70. I've got both and like both for what they are.

Model 70.

Also I found the Model 70 to be a better target rifle then my M-700s. Especially for long range.

I think if you practice and really learn the limitations of your rifle and the caliber you shoot, you will never be dissapointed with your weapon. My farther in law had rarely missed what he shot at with an Arisaka action rifle in 300 Savage with peep sights. He new exactly what he was doing with his rifle.

I agree with smarquez.

Either rifle will be better than almost any shooters ability to use it.

That being said I use a Model 70. When I was a kid they were the rifles that all the folks around me thought were the best and I believed them.
Turns out they aren't the sweet baby Jesus, but they are pretty good.

Model 70 Winchester....My dads first deer rifle was a Model 70 in 270 cal..made in 1948....I grew up hunting with this gun....I have it now....I have a number of Model 70's..pre-64's and some newer rifles of which have the newer CRF actions....I grew up with the model 70 being the riflemans rifle....
I have owned Remington 700's..but never kept one....They shot decent but seemed more generic...They did not seem to have the same mystic....
If I wanted a tactical or target type rifle..I probably would get a newer 700..but for hunting it will be a model 70....

I have custom on both actions in hunting rifles and if I figured one was better than the other I wouldn't of use that action.

As to varmint type rifles I much prefer the 700 action due to calibers and the extra aftermarket bolts and other parts. Winchester never did get into that type market vs the calibers Rem build in factory rifles.

Last edited:
Ten years ago I'd have said 700. Today Remington doesn't make anything I'm remotely interested in. Since 2008 Winchester is building a far better rifle and selling them at about the same price.

If you are talking about an older, used gun things get more complicated. I still prefer the Winchesters design, but quality on the older guns has been up and down over the years. While I don't care as much for the Remington design, quality has been more consistent until recently and there are a few older discontinued Remingtons that I liked right well.

It really boils down to which you like best. Both are fine rifles and have strong and weak points. Handle both, take a long look at the different features and pick the one you like best.

Own both

I own and shoot a Remington 700 .30-06 with from 1980 and Winchester 70 .243 from 1968. Both rifles have similar power scopes (Leupold and Weaver) and are very accurate. For target shooting I reload and use Sierra Matchkings, achieving less than 1" 5-shot groups at 100 yards with each rifle.

Preference goes to the Winchester because of the smoother action; plus, it feels right against my shoulder. The Remington is no slouch but loses to the Winchester by a thin margin.

Also I found the Model 70 to be a better target rifle then my M-700s. Especially for long range.

Push feed or CRF?

I think the PF Winchester rifles would give any M700 a run. However, I feel the CRF isn't geared towards a target rifle.

Knowledge is power:

The M-70 has one feature that the 700 lacks. If your bolt gets frozen with ice or filled with crud it can be field striped in the field without tools. When I was young I thought that cleaning a rifle was a liberal coating of W D 40. I sprayed the bolt without wiping off excess. In Wyoming I was sighting in my M-70, when I pulled the trigger nothing happened. I pointed the rifle down range and I grabbed the bolt to open the action the rifle fired. Upon disassembly I found the striker full with gunk. A good scrubing with Hoppues #9 cured the problem and my hunt went good.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited:
It's funny you mention Chevy, a while back I remember reading something in the American Rifleman about how the Winchester/Remington rifle debate was like the Chevy/Ford debate and that the writer's informal research had shown most people who preferred Chevy also preferred the Winchester 70 and the Ford guys preferred the Remington 700. I've been a fan of the Winchester Model 70 as long as I can remember and prefer Chevy to Ford any day of the week. I would not however shun a remington 700 (especially another Mountain rifle in .280 Rem).

Stu

I think the PF Winchester rifles would give any M700 a run. However, I feel the CRF isn't geared towards a target rifle.

I think there used to be a fella..Carlos Hathcock..that might have disagreed with ya...He shot both weapons...The military stopped using the Winchester after no more CRF....He shot live targets....;)
Hathcock generally used the standard sniper rifle: the Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle with the standard 8-power Unertl scope

Last edited:
Back