Rem 700 or Savage model 10 243cal

ole-crabby

Inactive
Wally world has both of these in stock. Savage about 389.00 remington 449.00 in camo,both have scopes. Which to you guys perfer? Remington has new trigger, savage has accu-trigger. thanks

Will somebody please post proof of the so-called lack of QC by Remington? :rolleyes:
SHOW ME SOME PICTURES or something.

Show everybody here something to back up that claim.

Geez, I get tired of that old saw...

BTW, I'd pick the Remington 700.

R700 Proof of QC

I don't have a picture but I just checked out a R700 tactical at Wholesale Sports (BC) and I couldn't believe that the Hogue stock alignment was off bigtime as it tapered to the front. One side of the barrel had a very visible gap that was considerably larger than the other side. That's not good QC. :confused: I will be owning a R700 Tactical (which I traded for) and will end the debate for myself soon (I became a Savage fan after my 10 FP and the Ruger Laminate Compact that I owne--Ruger trigger not even close to the Accutrigger). Once I spend time with the R700, I will know for sure and will post about it :) All the best with your decision but I think the Accutrigger and Accustock are far better. Btw, the trick to the Accutrigger is not manhandling it.

Nothing against Remingtons, but I am a Savage man. Honestly, you can't really go wrong either way depending on where your preference lies.

Geez, I get tired of that old saw

Just the factthat you post that is evidence enough, Apperantly you must hear it a lot. I just got a Savage,was going after a Rem myself and was told by (no names) very large sporting good store that same story. He still did say they are good guns,But that yes qc has dropped on all Rem products,BUllets,primers and guns. As far as evidence i guess i can't give you one certain thing such as 3 posts before this one DOES. But the fact that your statement on getting tired of hearing it seems to indicate to me that it must be true. Maybe remmy's are becoming the Taurus's of rifles.

I like them both, but lately there's been a lot of mixed reviews on this Rem. trigger thing. I would buy the rifle that I liked the best between the two. When I shop for a rifle, the damn thing sets there on the shelf like a dog at the pound, pick me, pick me, so when I leave the store with the new rifle I'm sure I could'nt have made a better pick. picking the right rifle is more about fit for me than just "what Brand" it is, IT HAS TO FIT ME!!;) Whatever you do Ole Crabby,(that's what my kids call me:o) make damn sure its the one!:)

Remington for sure, legendary name and service. Savage guns just arnt on the same page of quality. Our Wally Mart has the same guns and if im not mistaken the Savage has a plastic trigger guard and all the metal on them is just cheap coated. The Remington is a solid. The only thing Ill give to Savage is the stock appearence. Remingtons cheaper guns have fairly chintzy stocks but the actions and barrels are great

(Remingtons cheaper guns have fairly chintzy stocks but the actions and barrels are great ))

Say what??.. A Savage barrel is far superior to any Remmy made. They are probebly the best barrels with the only execption being a custom barrel.

Of course, with modifications. As long as its straight and has a true twist you can make it shoot great. No factory barrel will compare to a custom no matter what anyone says but the Remington barrels as far as rifle barrels go are tough to beat on the range. The Savage is a good "hunters" gun dont get me wrong but just not up to spec with the 700 barrels.

Both Rifles are good and either would work fine, personally I would get the Savage, I have never liked the crappy safety on the Remington.
JMO

Big Savage fan here but in all honesty I've noticed a decline in quality control last three I purchased two were returned for repairs. While out of the box accuracy is super some alignment problems with scope and other small issues.

I think it's pot luck with any brand quality control on many products today is second to getting product out the door, how many customers have the time or will make the effort to return an item for repair.?

My point is buy either it's a coin toss.

Remington 700. I have had several over the years, and the new triggers are great. Very easy to adjust, unlike the older triggers that require a bunch of adjustments. I have never had a single problem with any of them. My newest is a 700 XCR in 30.06 and it is a tack driver. It will shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with off the shelf 165gr Remington Core-Lok. You have the opportunity to look at the rifle before you buy it, so if you see something you don't like ask to look at another one. I will cycle the bolt, work the safety, dry fire a couple times, check fit/finish, and check for finish defects before I even start paperwork.

I have owned a Savage and while the Accutrigger was nice, I prefer the new Remington Mark X trigger. I could not stand the action, it felt stiff and was not nearly as smooth as my Remington 700 actions.

I suggest a 700, its action has been around a long time. It is a proven weapon, and I much prefer it over a Savage.

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

Last edited:
Why not try a Weatherby Vanguard? Or the Howa? and as far as Remington being a better rifle than Savage right now, Wrong.....There's problems with the Remington, and there's probably problems with the Savage. So let's take a 399.00 apple and compare it to a 399.00 apple! :rolleyes: I have all three,, They are all very accurate, and no one is COMPLETELY better than the other. There are things I like about all, but in the end they fit me well!!;)

Back