Rem 700, I need advice!

physikal

So I was looking at a Howa 1500, but I can't seem to find a configuration that I like. So I think I'm going back to Remington 700.

I'm stuck on this:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx

Or this:
http://www.remington.com/products/f...el-700/model-700-xcr-tactical-long-range.aspx

Is it worth the price difference to go for the Tac XCR Tac?

I'm not sure which to go with. I know I love bull/heavy barrels. I know I want to use it in the 400-600yrd range most. Help! Oh, and I have a Nikon 4-16x42 Monarch 4 I am going to put on it.

-Phys

Either will do right by you ... go with the one that fits best.

What you going to do with it? What cal are you looking at?

I have a regular 700 XCR in 30-06 which will drill a 1/2-3/4" 5 shot group at 100 yards with a couple different brands of factory ammo. The fit and finish is excellent and I really enjoy shooting it.

I like shorter barrels and lighter rifles when hunting - even in open country. But that's just me. I just don't think a .308 needs that long a tube.

My "go to" precision rifle is built around a 20" SPS Tactical. You may want to look at the Tactical over the Varmint because of the barrel twist too. IIRC, the Varmints come with a 26" 1-12" barrel and the Tacticals are a 20" 1-10". The 1-10" may serve you better with match bullets, and you get the benefit of a shorter barrel. I shoot a couple of matches a month with mine and the 20" barrel has NO trouble with that distance.

As a matter of fact, I had my 26" 700PSS cut down to a handy 16.5"... In the winter it is my primary hunting rifle, and otherwise she wears an 8" suppressor.

First of all, what is your budget? If it is high enough to afford the XCR Tactical LR, I would go with "neither".

My choice would be to find a old used Remington 700 and get the action squared and a good match quality barrel installed, and drop it in the stock of your choosing. The Bell and Carlson the XCR sits in retails for about $240, that wouldn't be a bad place to start, or the factory 700 Police stock is a good choice for $320.

You could build a pretty good custom rifle for the ~$1400 MSRP of the XCR.

I wouldn't say I really have a set budget. If 2k is worth it, then I would just save up for that. But I really wouldn't want to spend more than 2500 on a rifle.

But it sounds like the 20" SPS Tactical would suite my needs perfectly. I totally forgot to look at twist. So shooter_johns comment makes sense.

Can a 20" SPS tactical be pretty consistent out at 600 yards? What about 800?

Another option would be to get the 700 SPS-V and change the stock on it for a quality one. If and when you ever get to the point your accuracy is better than the rifle's, change the barrel, true the action, swap triggers, ect... but that's a big IF.

My SPS-V on a B&C stock is capable of sub-MOA accuracy and can ring an 18" steel plate at 600 yards easy (if I do my part).

For just target the xcr tactical for sure but you said you may go hunting with it to and neither of them is a good hunting gun. Why not get a regular XCR II. They will shoot nearly the same for you

Can a 20" SPS tactical be pretty consistent out at 600 yards?

Yes. 800 too I'd bet. When I built my rifle I got my SPS Tactical from Bud's (Remington was running a rebate at that time too) and my Manners T4 came direct from Manners (I talked to Tom Manners several times before finally deciding on the T4 and they are TOP NOTCH folks to deal with). With my Remington rebate and LEO discount on the stock my rifle came in at under $1K. I topped it with a Leupold 4.5-16x40 with target turrets that I bought as a demo model for $600. I couldn't be happier with the package.

I bought a 700 ADL Varmint at Dick's for $419 after rebates in November 2009. with the factory stock I get .59moa with my handloads. This rifle is for the range and hunting from a blind or stand.

That tactical is sick dude, but expensive, but totally cool. You could find something in a custom probably that would do what you want.;)

I have the SPS Varmint and it's as accurate as I'll ever need it to be. It shoots an inch or better with most everything I've tried. I really wish I had gotten the 20 inch Tactical rifle. The 26 inch barrel is cumbersome and heavy. A little too heavy for hunting.

I have a xcr long range tac, its a good shooter. getting 1.2-1.4 groups at 200 yards with my loads, I was getting better with anouther load at a lower velocity, I chose the slightly larger groups with the faster loads for my long range shooting. No prob hitting at 1080 with it on days my spotter is doing his job...... its topped with a night force nxs 3.5-15x50 w/zero stop in mills. Also night force 20moa base and rings. The setup is fairly heavy to lug around, not terrible but wouldnt be my first choice for a hunting rifle for sure.

I have the 700 SPS in .308 cal at 1000' i can hit a clay target with me reloads using a 3x-9x,40 scope. And I use mine for hunting to

Back