Rem 700 7 MM mag at wal mart???? got some questions

champ198

questions for you all. was in at the local wal mart the other night and they had a Rem 700 chambered in 7mm Mag. i assume its an ADL model since it did not have a mag plate. question i had was is this gun any diffrent than a Rem 700 ADL the cabelas carries? reason i asked is the wal mart one was $325. been wanting a bigger caliber gun for a while to mess around with a little long range shooting 500+
jsut thought id ask you all and get your opinions

the ones i saw there were a bit differnt. the trigger guard was plastic instead of metal. Still a heck of a bang for the buck. Its actually cheaper then ive seen bare remington actions go for.

The sps, adl are both Remington 700's, the price the OP gave was more than likely a close-out or clearance price or it's not a 700.
Maybe it's the 700 "Sportsman"...

Remington did drop the ADL and BDL and replaced them with the SPS and CDL, at least for a short time. There was enough demand for ADL and BDL to bring them back. The BDL is made in very limited numbers and chamberings. The ADL is now made in special runs sold only to the Big Box stores.

I'm betting if someone saw a metal trigger guard on one and a plastic on another it is simply a slightly older gun vs slightly newer one. Either way they are a bargain. If Walmart has one priced right that I wanted I sure wouldn't pay more for the same gun at Cabelas regardless of the trigger guard material. Savage and several other guns have been using plastic for a while now and if anything it is proving to be an improvement.

Long as it's not the 770 or the 715... I'd check the actual part number of the gun before buying it and see what it's priced at elsewhere and what the gun really is.

this one dd have a cheap scope on it but I sure thought it was pretty hard to beat for the money that's for sure
I might have to go back in and look at it again just to check but it wasn't no 770 for sure seen them before

My son bought one last year. Cheap stock, cheap scope, rough finish and it shoots 1" groups to often to be ignored! His idea is that this it's a good starter rifle and he can do upgrades to it as he gets the money. I have shot the rifle a few times and I think he made a good decision, it's a shooter. And with all the aftermarket parts made for the 700, he'll eventually have the exact gun he wants rather than settling for something off the shelf.

I can't imagine Remington would make a different ADL for Walmart then others.

Me either, it doesn't make any sense in terms of cost effectiveness from both ends. There's always been what I believe to be an internet myth that companies make things of a lesser quality for Wal Mart than they do for the "high-priced" stores. Many claim, for example, that the ammunition companies routinely do this. I have no way of knowing either way, for certain, other than examining and comparing. But that's also true for the nay sayers.

Every box of ammo I purchased at the wally world has always been Remington Core-Lokt or Winchester "grey box" 100 grainers for the .243 win, and they have always performed, flawlessly.
Oh and I might add, usually the Rem. Core-Lokt ammo for .270 win 130 grainers, get down to 13.00 per box right before deer season..(my daughter feeds her "Weather Warrior" that stuff...;))

I remember seeing adl's marked down to $300 about 5 years or so ago at the local Walmart. This was when the sps came out and the guys at Walmart said they were trying to sell off all the adl's. I was strapped for cash at the time or I'd have bought one in every caliber. Best value for a rifle I've ever seen. Several of my friends were able to snatch them up and theve all been fine shooters

well went back to wal mart after work and looked at the gun some. it is a 700 in 7mm mag. no scope plain jane. so went ahead and put the gun in lay away and ill have it out pretty soon. talked to a buddy of mine on the way to the store and he is gonna let me use one of his Leupold scopes to put on it till i can get my own scope on it.
cant wait to get this thing and get it shooting. still going to have to get all the reloading stuff for it so till then ill be shooting just what ever i can get at the store. probably going to get some of the Winchester Power max 150s to run through it for a while

I do believe these are a special run for walmart. there defineately no sps guns as the walmart guns have a blind mag well. Also all the ones ive seen had a cammo stock not a black stock.

That remington rifle is probably a special run made for wal-mart. Wal-mart may approach a manufacturer and provide specs and price for a given product (rifle) and buy so many thousands at one time.

I have a 10/22 that is stainless and has a 22" standard barrel, bought from wal-mart about 10 years ago. That 10/22 is not a standard model and from what I can find out about it, wal-mart was the

only retailer to get that model. Wal-mart also gets their firearms from the regular wholesalers that the local gun shops order from.

I special ordered a Marlin 336ss from wal-mart a few years ago and I believe that the associate said it came from sports south(?)

Additionally some items (firearms included) may have been in inventory too long and may be reduced or clearanced out to clear up space for new products.

Every wal-mart seems to be different about how their firearms are stocked and other sporting goods and how certain models are in one local store and not in another store a couple of towns away.

Remington still makes the ADLs, however there not in there catalogs, I was on a tour this summer of the plant and saw many of them in racks waiting to be packaged, I understand they make 'em for the big box stores like Wal-mart, Dick's, Gander mtn, Bass-Pro, etc. There a great gun at a great price.

Walmart near me sells Remington 700 in ADL, BDL (rarely), SPS and CDL (very rare). Most I see are SPS or ADL. I just picked up a SPS in 223 that was on sale for $399 as I'm going to rebarrel it to 300 ACC caliber.

Back