Rem 700 223 what?

turkeybuzzard

I traded for a Remington model 700- 223, it has a fluted stainless barrel with a black composite stock. I can't find anything on the Remington sight as to what I have other than a model 700? It kind of looks like the vs sf II without the black on the barrel and has one swivel on the forearm instead of two. It looks like I got beat on the trade! Is there a way to tell from the serial # what I have? Any info on the rifle would be appreciated! Man said it was new and it looks new, no box though. Thanks for any help.

I think if you call or email Remington customer service the SN they can tell you what it was originally. I think you may be surprised how well that fluted barrel shoots. If you are not happy with the stock, check Boyd's Gunstocks web site, they have several models of laminate stocks, very reasonable prices and the quality is excellent if you are unfamiliar with them.

If it has the Tupperware SPS Varmint (Hogue) stock with the Buick holes in the fore end, it could be the VSF model Remington produced the last couple years; am thinking they had two swivel studs, though. They were basically VSSF II's without the good stocks.

Thanks to all, I will email Remington and see what they say, I do like the gun but I don't like being lied to about something. Especially from a vendor at a gun show, you think he would tell the truth. I will remember him if he lied! Thanks again.

VSF were tan hs stock with blued barrel and action.

Sounds like a vssf2 and perhaps someone took off the great hs stock and replaced it with craptastic plastic:mad:

Especially from a vendor at a gun show, you think he would tell the truth.

Go to many gun shows do ya? :D:D:D I don't take anything a gun show vendor tells me as gospel. The only reason I go to gun shows any more is if I'm looking for something specific. If I do see something interesting but haven't done my research on, I won't buy it. 20 years ago gun shows were a great place to buy. Anymore, I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of con artists.

So what you are saying is that since the 70 ADL is not currently listed on Remington's web site, it never existed? :D

Pretty sure when the VSSF and Sendero SF came out they had the old VS type HS Precision stock. That could be what you have, or as someone mentioned, the previous owner could have restocked. it.

Is there anything marked on the barrel?

On edit, does the stock look like this one?
http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6373345

That is the old style "Kevlar" HS Precision stock.

The stock does look like that one in the picture, I am going to and try to put some pictures on here. They are not to good, taken with a phone. Thanks for the help. Guess I will cal rem tomorrow, email is a joke.

Attachments

• Photo220.jpg
    Photo220.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Photo221.jpg
    Photo221.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo222.jpg
    Photo222.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 53
That's an H-S Precision stock....definitely not a crappy plastic stock. Looks like a VSSF II being stainless with the fluted barrel and jewelled bolt. Odd that there's only one forend stud. Excellent rifle. I think they sell for around $1000-1100 new.

I'd be interest to know if the recoil pad says Remington.

It has only one forend stud and the pad has remington on it. According to what I have found on the serial number, it was made in 1998? Like I said the remington sight is no help at all. I got to get me some scope rings for the leupold I have been saving! The first letter on the serial number is S.

My 1999 remington catalog shows that exact rifle listed as a model 700 sendero sf (stainless fluted). Same stock and one swivel stud. Hope this solves your mystery.

That is the standard factory Remington, made by HS Precision, stock that came on Sendero (long action) and Varmint Synthetic (short action) rifles from at least the mid 1990s, probably before. I don't recall them having more than one sling stud.

In other words, that is a factory rifle.

You did good.

My Remington 700 VS came from factory with same stock.
It's HS Precision stock.
It has only one sling stud.
Very good stock.

Hey Buzz that's the crappiest stock Remington ever used. I'll give you 20 bucks for it and I'll pay the shipping..........;)

Back