Reluctant to switch caliber setup

Why own a single-stage if you aren't going to use it?

Good point. I have a pretty new Rock Crusher because on my journey to smoothing things out with the Lee Loadmaster, I had a good number of mistakes - more than I care to pull with a kinetic bullet puller. So then I looked at single stages to host the Hornady Cam Lock puller. And then I saw a *very* objective shootout comparison between popular single stages. And you know what? The price of a Rock Chucker was not that much different than a Lee Classic Cast. So the Rock Chucker's job has so far been to pull bullets. Maybe I should stretch its legs.

have you considered owning a second one for 9 mm? It would sure speed things up and avoid corrupting your current setup. It's also an excuse to try a different press if you want to.

Unclenick, good thought. I actually had not considered owning a second progressive, turret, or another form of primary press. I also had not thought that I could get things working as well as they are. When the going was rough, it didn't matter what caliber I had set up for, the primers would flip, jam, and seize the rotation. But now that you mention it, the price of another progressive or turret is potentially less than the price of a new firearm... hmm....Getting something that helps me shoot what I have better, or a new gun.

Are you shooting .38 Special in competition or something where you REALLY need to crank them out?

No, I think I would need just about 100 rounds a week. Maybe 150. How long would you guess a seasoned single stage user would take to make 50 rounds of 38 special? Assuming I had already tumbled the brass?

Don't buy Lee presses.

Funny thing is, my brother had the simpler Lee Pro 4 station progressive and never encountered the primer system problems I had. And here I thought I'd be better off with 5 stations. I was attracted to the price of entry. If I had to do it again, I would have gone with perhaps a different model Lee or something else with a little less micro management. But it's taught me to stay vigilant.

"New Press! New Press! New Press!"

Ha ha! I imagine clapping my hands with every word.

Quote:
Are you shooting .38 Special in competition or something where you REALLY need to crank them out?

No, I think I would need just about 100 rounds a week. Maybe 150. How long would you guess a seasoned single stage user would take to make 50 rounds of 38 special? Assuming I had already tumbled the brass?

This is just an estimate, mind you, as I enjoy doing it and have never timed myself. Resizing and decapping: 2 minutes; primer seating: 2 minutes; case mouth flaring: 2 minutes; dropping powder and seating bullet: 4 minutes. Of course this does not include any time for changing and adjusting dies, but even so, I would think that you could do everything necessary to load 50 rounds in a half hour. And, once your dies are properly adjusted, the next time you reload it will take even less time. Hope that helps.

Don

That must have been some seriously heavy duty. Maybe you should describe the context of your being able to destroy equipment in an array of ways.
Sizing cases.
Decapping primers.
Expanding case mouths.
Seating bullets.
Crimping.

Pretty brutal conditions.

Sizing cases.
Decapping primers.
Expanding case mouths.
Seating bullets.
Crimping.

Pretty brutal conditions.
Rifle or pistol? If rifle, what cartridge? What I am asking is what would strain a sturdy press to break it. What would chip LnL adapters or breech locks unless they were not fully engaged or worked loose, an operator responsibility?

Rifle or pistol? If rifle, what cartridge? What I am asking is what would strain a sturdy press to break it. What would chip LnL adapters or breech locks unless they were not fully engaged or worked loose, an operator responsibility?
What would damage them? Poor production controls.

You don't have to believe me, if you don't want to. But a quick internet search will turn up plenty more results from people that have experienced the same thing. Here's a guy that found three broken bushings in his LNL AP: Hornady LNL AP press bushings - broken & cracked

My cartridges? Nothing special; but may have included (those not loaded during that time frame, or loaded exclusively on another press, are not in the list):
.32 Revoler (S&W / S&W Long / H&R / .327 Federal)
.32 Auto
.380 Auto
9x19mm
.44 Rem Mag
.480 Ruger
.223 Rem / 5.56x45mm
6x45mm
.243 Win
7x57mm
.270 Win
.30-06
7.62x54R
.35 Whelen
.444 Marlin

That's enough LnL bushing talk for this thread.
If you want to know more, dust off your Google-Fu.

I started out, like many do, with a basic Rockchucker. At some point I decided I wanted a better press so I bought a Forster. Great press, no regrets. After I retired I started shooting a lot more, like weekly. I realized most of what I was shooting was 9mm, about 200 per session. Shorten the story, bought Dillon SDB for 9mm. Great decision. I rotate around thru different calibers weekly, mostly 45 ACP, 38 special and 32-20. A few other calibers only three or four times a year. It works out that I set up the Forster about once a month. Tough call on shooting 100 rounds a week of 38. Would consider buying another Dillon, but like I said I'm retired so time is not a factor but I always enjoy a new toy.
Buying a new press always seems a little expensive at the time but when you consider how long they will last (like the rest of your reloading life) they really are pretty cheap.

Just get a Dillon and be done with it.

I can convert my Dillons from 9MM to .30-06, or .357 mag to .223 in a few minutes.

A little more initial investment, but well worth it in the long haul.

My 650 does nothing but 5.56. We shoot more 5.56 than anyother rifle caliber. Once we got it set up and running perfectly I was hesitant to mess with it.

SDB for the handgun stuff. Rockchucker handles the 30 cal duties.
I also have a lee c press for cast bullet sizing.
I will be adding a 550 to the stable for Christmas.

I really enjoy reloading and using a variety of presses.

50 rounds in a half hour. And, once your dies are properly adjusted, the next time you reload it will take even less time. Hope that helps.

Yes it does.

Just get a Dillon and be done with it.
- your username checks out Ben Dover!

I have learned a good bit fiddling around with my press. Mostly character building. Glad that's over with (I hope!). I think I must have gotten a press that was more fiddly than other Lees because some had theirs working pretty well quickly. In my case, I took a break for 3 years or so, so I actually wasn't happy with the operation until... 7-8 years after I purchased it.

Have 2 Lee Progressive presses and use them both. 1. Lee Pro1000, 1. Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro. The ABLP is a recent addition because I needed a 4th station for a 45acp load. Otherwise I have 2 carriers for the Pro1000, one each with a large and small primer chute and then I have shell plates for the 38/357, 380/223, 9mm/40 and the 45acp.

On the Pro1000 I can change from one to another in about 10 minutes and that is taking my time. With tool heads already set up with dies it is very quick and in most cases the only adjustments that are needed to be made are powder charge and seating depth and those adjust quickly and simply. Only other adjustment is to the case feeder.

I Have two lees, a Hornady and a Lyman. The lee classic is a lifesaver for me cause it also does 1.25" dies for my 338 lapua magnum. Probably will get either a Dillon or Forster eventually.

Back