Reluctant to switch caliber setup

dyl

So I've got my Lee Loadmaster working pretty well in 9mm. And because it's working so well, I'm VERY hesitant to switch calibers and start reloading 38 special again. I just don't want to switch things around since I've got the case feeder and priming system working well. But I haven't practiced with revolvers in a year or two.

If I were to try reload 38 special on my new single stage, it would take forever in comparison.

Can I get a witness?

I agree with what your saying, I've done the same. My solution was to add a Lee Classic Cast Turret press for revolver reloading. So all my .38sp, .357mag, and .41mag gets loaded on the turret and all 9mm on the LM. I've also simplified the way I use the LM. I deprime, clean, and prime off the press, and eliminated the bullet feeder. So now my setup is station one is sizing (without the decapping Rod), station two is powder drop, station three is powder check die, station four is bullet seating by hand feeding bullets, and station five is crimping. While slower than just doing everything on the press automatically, this still gives one loaded round per handle pull but for me adds a nice margin of safety by eliminating the two steps (automatic bullet feeding/mangling, and occasional primer misfeeds) that always tend to mess me up.

Hence why i love my Lee 4 hole Turret press.
Not as fast as a progressive, but way faster than single stage!
Dies stay in turret.
Twist & lift, new turret, set &twist. And i'm loading a different caliber.
It literally takes as long to do as it did for you to read this.
And i do rifle cartridges with mine also.

Hence why i love my Lee 4 hole Turret press.
Not as fast as a progressive, but way faster than single stage!
Dies stay in turret.
Twist & lift, new turret, set &twist. And i'm loading a different caliber.
It literally takes as long to do as it did for you to read this.
And i do rifle cartridges with mine also.
Agreed. I can totally change calibers and swap out powders in my Auto Drum Powder Measure in 15 minutes or less. I got 6 different drums for it and most have my pet loads printed on the drum.

"...it would take forever..." It's all about technique with a single stage. Starting with using both hands. Haven't ever loaded anything with anything else but a single stage press.

I just went back to a Lee 4 hole turret recently and love it. My Rockchucker is under the bench in case I ever need something heavy duty but that little Lee is my day to day workhorse now.

I say go for it or this may be your justification for adding a new press.

"New Press! New Press! New Press!"

Life is short (even if it's long, it's never long enough) there's LOTS of interesting presses out there that NEED a good home.

Two lessons to be learned:

1. Don't buy Lee presses.
2. More presses = more betterer.

3.5.: Why own a single-stage if you aren't going to use it?

I don't load on a Lee but I do have a Dillon 550B. I loaded nothing but 45 for nearly a year, I dreaded changing calibers. I finally bought the set up for 9MM and went for it. Worked like a champ. It's a 10 minute deal once you learn the process. Now load 45, 9 and .38 on the 550 and love it.

I used a new 9mm pistol as an excuse to buy a Dillon BL 550. The BL 550 is the stripped down version of the 550C, but it's very affordable and I use my Redding powder measure on it and hand place the primers.

So nice and fast compared to my turret. Makes volume loading less daunting.

If I were to try reload 38 special on my new single stage, it would take forever in comparison.

Are you shooting .38 Special in competition or something where you REALLY need to crank them out? A single stage is fine when large amounts of ammo on a weekly basis are not required. The only progressive press I use is for shotshells, and that is because I shoot trap in a league.

Don

If you have the money duplicate your setup in 38!

Agreed if you have ti running like a Swiss watch then you are loathe to change it.

Life is too short and that is what money is for if you have it.

Or as I told my brother, you can get implants, I won't, too much money, I will just drop teeth. You have the money (bless you and your hard workign wife) and we don't.

Why own a single-stage if you aren't going to use it?

My Dillon 550b for all handgun rounds inasmuch as shoot way more handgun rounds (in decent weather, 96 rounds per day), than I do rifle rounds. My old RCBS Jr. (single stage) is reserved for relatively few rifle rounds I load.

Dyl,

If you are happy with the Lee press and you have gotten used to how to set one up and keep it running, given their availability on eBay and discounted new ones are often available, have you considered owning a second one for 9 mm? It would sure speed things up and avoid corrupting your current setup. It's also an excuse to try a different press if you want to.

Frankenmauser - Two lessons to be learned:

1. Don't buy Lee presses.
2. More presses = more betterer.

3.5.: Why own a single-stage if you aren't going to use it?

Lee deserves a certain amount of bashing, but don't forget to carve out a spot for the classic cast turret, which is respected, popular, and very versatile.

p.s. I see nothing that begs improvement on my breech lock cast single stage. It has an adapter to accept Hornady LnL adapters in good supply with my LnL AP. The insert for standard threads came with it but is in my unused parts box.

Lee deserves a certain amount of bashing, but don't forget to carve out a spot for the classic cast turret, which is respected, popular, and very versatile.

p.s. I see nothing that begs improvement on my breech lock cast single stage. It has an adapter to accept Hornady LnL adapters in good supply with my LnL AP. The insert for standard threads came with it but is in my unused parts box.
The Classic Cast SS is moderately okay. ...Until the linkage breaks or the adjuster teeth strip.

I've used the LnL system, too.
Don't like it, either.
My first exposure to it was when my brother got a LnL single stage press. He kept having collars and the adapter chip or break. Hornady told him it was a known production issue that had been fixed, and sent him some replacement parts.
He had no more issues.

I came across a very cheap offering of the Hornady conversion 'kits' with one LnL conversion bushing and three collars. I bought many. It was FAR cheaper than buying bushing packs, alone.

They started chipping, breaking teeth/lugs, and wearing loose with normal use.
About the time I decided that they were about as useful as a bag of fermenting diapers, my brother told me that he had had another failure. He didn't just chip one lug, but sheared ALL of them, while sizing something trivial (like .40 S&W).

At this point, almost all of our collars and adapters have at least a few chips or chunks missing - some have one or more entire tooth/lug missing (which renders them useless for anything requiring any hint of precision). Mine are piled in the back of a drawer, never to be used on my dies, again.

Decent design, poorly executed.

PS: I've got a whole pile of collars and adapter bushings here, that I'll give you a great deal on!

The Classic Cast SS is moderately okay. ...Until the linkage breaks or the adjuster teeth strip.

I've used the LnL system, too.
Don't like it, either.
My first exposure to it was when my brother got a LnL single stage press. He kept having collars and the adapter chip or break. Hornady told him it was a known production issue that had been fixed, and sent him some replacement parts.
He had no more issues.

I came across a very cheap offering of the Hornady conversion 'kits' with one LnL conversion bushing and three collars. I bought many. It was FAR cheaper than buying bushing packs, alone.

They started chipping, breaking teeth/lugs, and wearing loose with normal use.
About the time I decided that they were about as useful as a bag of fermenting diapers, my brother told me that he had had another failure. He didn't just chip one lug, but sheared ALL of them, while sizing something trivial (like .40 S&W).

At this point, almost all of our collars and adapters have at least a few chips or chunks missing - some have one or more entire tooth/lug missing (which renders them useless for anything requiring any hint of precision). Mine are piled in the back of a drawer, never to be used on my dies, again.

Decent design, poorly executed.

PS: I've got a whole pile of collars and adapter bushings here, that I'll give you a great deal on!
That must have been some seriously heavy duty. Maybe you should describe the context of your being able to destroy equipment in an array of ways.

Back