Reloading hints for 44-40 El Tigre Winchester clone 1894

I won't say it will damage your gun but it might. If you're using pure lead with bp and a good bore there won't be any leading.

I've actually been wrong quite a few times, but I was under the impression that the Spanish 44 long cartridge wouldn't interchange with the 44-40.
Can the 44-40 cartridge actually be used in the El Tigre chambered for "44 Long" ?

Dear all

Last weekend i was able to find. My load for the tigre

30 grain ffg and a .428 lead bullet. Or 6.5 grain trailboss with rhe same bullet worked quite well on 50 ysrds

Glad you found a load you like.
I have been using 5.5 of Trailboss for cowboy shooting in pistol and rifle.
Had to put a few rounds through the rifle today.

An interesting side note of the "El Tigre" copy of the Win '92, is that several large loop and setscrew triggers modified El Tigre's in 44-40 were used (along with real Win '92's) in the t.v. series..."The Rifleman" starring Chuck Conners. From accounts read, they were mostly used in saddle scabbards shots and the Win 92's were used for shooting. Not sure if any El Tigre's were used for shots showing them shooting in the series.

Hawg Haggen wrote:
I dunno. Almost everything I've found says they were well made almost identical copies of the Winchester. I know from some of the pics I've seen they were not made from pot metal.

+1 This.

Last edited:
Dear all

I agree its not made of potmetal therefore it shoots to nice

and btw how can i check if it is potmetal?? How does a potmetal rifle has to look like?

Regards

Bigbuck

Pot metal doesn't rust and yours definitely has some rust. Also a magnet won't stick to it. BTW alloy receivers aren't made from actual pot metal but more likely Zamak which has a pretty high tensile strength.

Also pot metal is what you usually find used in metal toy cap pistols and replica, non firing model guns that are just used for display. If not cheaply plated, it usually has a dull finish and looks a bit like pewter metal, has little strength and breaks easily and wouldn't hold up to the chamber pressures used in a real firearm unless maybe just a .22 short single shot with a really thick barrel. I have a replica, non firing, dull, raw pewter like finish, Colt 1873 peacemaker that's made of pot metal, that I just use for bookcase display and practicing twirling.

Last edited:
Thanks. Now that i know what pot metal means i am relaxed my tigre is shurly not made of that pot.....

Btw had some tests with my 44-40 colt with 33 grain bp loads. This makes a real bang!! I am impressed - does it hurt my colt at all???

Bigbuck

the 33 grain are filling the brass just that the bullet will press it a bit during the seating. So you think this is just fine and i should enjoy the booom??

and cleaning is much nicer than with my c&b revolvers because the brass seals quite good....

bigbuck

Back