Reloading Dies & O-rings

As far as what works, it will be on the target and maybe the concentricity gauge.
I don't know what the criteria are for dimensioning and tolerancing a die set.

The dies and the press interconnect via the threads(exception,somewhat,the "Co-Ax presses) As they are 60deg Vee threads, ideally the male and female pitch diameters would mesh in a co-axial fashion. Think of it as a helical 60 degree Vee block. I suspect hose two threadforms(male and female) use the pitch diameters as datums and tolerance size.squareness,coaxiality,etc from there. Depending on the manufacturer,some form of mandrel gauging likely takes place. Almost certainly at Redding, Who knows at Frankford.

We can have trouble when a "renegade" unauthorized datum steps in. What does that mean? A lock ring drawing down on the top of the press might not be perfectly square with the die body. Especially if its jammed to one side by a setscrew.

An out of square lock ring Might disrupt the male and female pitch diameters from "finding" each other.

The crossbolt lock ring will be superior to the setscrew lock ring that way.

The Forster/Bonanza press does not place the press 7/8-14 threads in a menage a trois with the die body and lock ring threads.

Its my opinion that whether or not an O-ring is beneficial??? You'd have to know what you were trying to accomplish, use a consistent technique,and test results.

With quality die and press components, there may not be a problem to solve,

A lock ring with runout might work like an out of square Garand bolt face ,

Folks figure out workarounds. Maybe an O-ring is a workaround for out of square set screw lock rings. The O-ring would let the thread pitch be "in charge" I don't know! Folks are trying.

Over time,some gun/reloading work has been done on a gang drill (multi station drill press) and some gets done on a jig borer. (Very precise)

For most folks its all good. Some folks can recognize and pursue that last 1/10th MOA. I'm grateful for what I learn from them. I read the same Precision Shooting O-ring article Uncle Nick did. Am I using O-rings? No.

Bart, I removed all my expanders from the sizing dies. I measure every case for length and runout. All seventeen caliber dies that I use produce cases that are within .0005" on both length and runout, if they aren't within the .0005" I resize. I have both a Rockchucker (54 years old) and a coax press. Both will hold the same. I do anneal after every shot. I use a mandrel to size the neck. I have also listened to Unclenick and tried his methods and they work as he said they would, cost a lot of money. But, the results are the same, .0005" is my redo, either way.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, best accuracy happens when the expander ball is removed and the full length sizing die neck is honed out to about .002" less than a loaded round's neck diameter. The die is set in the press to set the shoulder back a couple thousandths.

Sierra Bullets pioneered this in the 1960's.
Bart,

What measurement are you basing the .002 From ? lets say I have a 30-06 case and the bullet seated in neck, the diameter measures .312 your saying it needs to be .310 ( these are just hypothetical numbers) what I am asking is how do I know that my die what ever Im using isnt already sizing it down .002 . What number should you start from?

Last edited:
Back