reloading & Competition

I've been playing around with a few 45 bullet weights and powder charges. I settled on a 230 RN traveling at 680 for our matches just for the lighter recoil. Now the stubby 160 grainers have more of a quick snap that gets you back on target quicker, but can't seem to feed reliably enough in my CZ.

Ideally I'd like a SWC so the cardboard holes are obvious to see, but haven't bought a mold yet.

In 9mm, for knocking down poppers and plates, the heavier bullets seem to have an advantage.
The 147 grain truncated cone bullets seemed best.
Cardboard targets probably won't care.
For .45 the differences between 200 and 230 grain bullets never seemed very important one way or another.
If yours digests 200gr wadcutters, there's bragging rights involved, though.

I want reliability.

In steel, I mostly use my Beretta, 125 gr lead RN. Not supper hot but it ALWAYS works the action. Never hit a steel target that didn't fall.

Power factor on applies if you're on the edge of the target. The center hits count as much as Major.

Bowling pins, I want to not only hit them, but take them off the table with one hit. I use my Gold Cup, and 230 gr cast RN. they work.

ICORE: I shoot 158 gr FP RN. Again not hot. It knocks over any steel I hit plus has no problem poking holes in the tombstone targets.

My main concern is reliability. Suckers got to fire when the hammer falls and they cant jam.

Im crushing it with a 147 lead bullet, over power pistol.
They hold a 1.5" group at 75 feet out of a 4.25 1911.
Power Factor of 147.6 (average)

9mm of course

Power factor for BOTH IDPA and USPSA is 125 I believe.

they aren't powder puffs, but will cycle just about anything.

Hope that helps.

me

I can definitely shoot my G34 w/ reloaded 9mm/115 faster and sufficiently accurate, than .45 acp factory ball in the Sig P220. Less recoil and the pistol comes back on target more quickly.

The 9mm/115 makes IDPA power factor too.

yeah, I use 115's but...........

Most of the guys that are reloading at our club matches are going the 9mm heavy bullet route.

One other comment....I'm amazed at the number of regular shooters who are NOT reloading.

Back