Reloading 44-40

right, by doing that the shells feed and chamber with ease and i think the bullets bump up on fireing and i get 1.5-2" groups at 60-70 yards from a rest. i have about 2000-2300 lead 200gr flat nose bullets to go thru. when i fire those .429 bullets, i,ll get some .426-.427 lead bullets. eastbank.

I appreciate all the info from everyone. It does turn out that both the rifle & the revolver all .429. Now, I've got Hunters 200 grn .427 cast bullets, will I do any harm if I run those through or should I just get .429 & call it a day.

The only "harm" an undersize lead bullet might do is lead the bore and not shoot as accurately. It isn't going to damage anything.

I have shot all usual diameters of .44 bullet in my single actions and lever action because .428" to match my Redman reline is not as widely available as either .427" or .429". At CAS ranges there is no discernible difference and that is my only use for .44-40.

I sighted in my Uberti 1873 last week using 0.427 Hunter's Supply over Unique. Did fine; no leading. This week I am going to run some with Alliant Black MZ in the '73 and my Cimarron 'P'. You just have to see how they work in your gun. But don't worry about breaking anything. Unless you overload, of course.

I fit 37 gr by volume of BMZ, compressed under a fiber wad, CCI 300 and Starline. I couldn't get a read on the '73 repop, but the 0.427 Hunters Supply were very accurate using this load. The Cimarron 'P' 4 3/4" ran 907 avg/35.3 Std with the same load. I've settled on 35 as my standard.

In two 6-stage outings with SASS, these rounds were completely reliable, and I did not do any cleaning between stages. The smoke obscures the targets, and it really slows you down on a still day. Next time out, I may load the "cowboy" 7 gr. Unique and give the RO a break. But I like the BMZ.

Back