Reload and not lose Mags

From what I've gathered, the purpose of the "tactical reload" is to have a single shot weapon for as little time as possible. But to perform it, you have to have nimble fingers - no problem for me on a single stack, haven't tried it on a double- and it requires four different arm movements (obviously after you've pulled the pistol back in close to your body):

1. Reaching down for the fresh magazine;
2. Returning to the weapon and performing the reload;
3. Down to the belt, pocket, pouch, etc to stow the removed magazine;
(why else are we performing this -- otherwise it should be a speed reload)
4. Back up to the handgun to reestablish grip and present weapon.

IMO, too much wasted movement. I *could* see training this along with a one handed stance to minimize downtime, but other than that limited idea the tactical reload sees very little time in my training.

Instead, I use a conventional reload and reload with retention that differ only in that fact: retention of the magazine. They use almost the same motions.

Again from the weapon being brought in close:

1. Support hand is cupped around the bottom of the grip, still partially touching the frontstrap. There is enough room for the mag to fall into the palm of my hand. Eject magazine into support hand. If the mag sticks, the hand is there to strip it free.
2. Hand travels downward (similar to 1 above). If I am performing a retention reload, it travels to my support side pocket and stows the magazine. If it's a speed reload, it travels past the pocket and slightly behind me where I drop it.
3. Grab the fresh magazine with index finger along the front.
4. Hand travels upwards where it meets the butt of the firearm and slaps the fresh mag in. (Similar to 2 above)
5. If the pistol is at slide lock, I use an overhand grab with the support hand, and then reestablish grip and present.

Instead of 4 major arm movements, this way there are two. Additionally, the motions are basically the same, so there is only one skillset to learn instead of two. It also addresses malfunctions that may be encountered (mag hanging when you try to eject). And lastly, it keeps an empty mag out of any forward movement.

I guess a bonus is that my empties are dropped from waist height -- I haven't had any damaged yet. Just to be safe though, I don't sling my carry mags around like that at the range.

- Jon -

Sorry, I've been out of town for a while.

My main concern here is not losing equipment at the range. I don't carry, I just shoot "for fun" with a couple of buddies. If I were in an actual gunfight, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be more concerned with getting rounds downrange than with damage to replaceable magazines. ;)

Mainly, I just don't want to drop my magazines on the ground or in the snow. Y'all have given some great ideas, and I appreciate it! :cool:

I also think it depends on your equipment. If you're shooting a single stack compact 1911, that extra round has a chance of being handy. As for me, with 15 rounds in each mag of my 92 - I'd have to put 8-9 out before I'd start worrying enough to swap mags and if I did I'd have 15 more in the next. If I get into a situation where I need all 30 rounds fired, I have a lot more trouble than just finding more ammo.

During a combat situation, I would just drop a mag and not worry about it. If I had cover, I would drop it, and keep it in a pocket or something, but if I was out, and had to get my gun back into action quickly, where that spent mag went would not be a high priority for me.

Back