reliable auto shotguns

I've an 1100 Tactical and the damn thing will just NOT jam.

Doesn't matter if it's the lightest or heaviest load, it feeds EVERYTHING and has over hundreds of rounds.

Personally I still think the 1100 is good to go. Maintenance is heavier than other models, but when clean and serviced, they tend to run well for sure.

I am still a big fan of the Remington 1100. Yes, the design is older, but it is also well proven design. Likes to be kept clean, but that’s not much work.

I like my 1100 Tac 4 so much I plan to upgrade the stock and get an Elzetta light for it to use as a dedicated him defense gun.

That's how much I like and trust it.

The later Beretta and Benelli guns are excellent.
My Benelli M1 90 had a problem with light loads but polishing the insides cured most of that

The all time record for consecutive shots without a failure, with no cleaning, is something over 24,000 rounds, and is held by a Remington 1100.

A lot of the semi-auto's mentioned do have a long track record, other than the V3. I bought a Mossberg 930 DC[Duck commander] from Bud's about a year and a half ago. Had real good reviews on that particular model, so bought it. Glad I did for a number of reasons. It has been very reliable, fits ME well and zero issues. And they now cost #785.00 at Bud's. I paid $533.00 OTD. You don't hear much about these, other than the "tactical" models, which seem to have issues. Mine works like intended. Light loads, heavy loads, doesn't matter. Perhaps a diamond in the rough.

My favorite semi-auto has been perfectly reliable. I have hunted the uplands with it and shot one of my first 25 straights with it in 16 yard Trap.
The gun...a Winchester model 59 winlite barrel and all.

My first 20 gauge Auto5 has been good for 45 years so far. The 12 gauge I picked up a few years ago is even older, but still going strong.

Surprised no one has mentioned the VersaMax yet. Great design that is exceptionally reliable AND exceptionally soft-shooting. This is easily the softest shooting 12 ga. I’ve ever shot. I have the Tactical model and it runs like a raped ape. ;-)

Handles light 2 3/4” target loads up through 3 1/2” magnums with equal reliability. I suspect the Remington V3 shares the same reliable action as the VersaMax.

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/autoloading/versa-max/versa-max-tactical

Last edited:
Sx3

The SX3 is a work horse. I asked some duck hunting guides which gun they liked. These guys have seen every make and model of gun ever made. The consensus was that the sx2-3 were the most reliable with duck loads.

Mine has only had issues with loads that we're too light.

people talk about reliability

almost any gun is reliable nowadays, especially with hunting loads if it is cleaned/oiled

the problem arises with dirty guns and target loads

benellis are always reliable thou never mind how dirty

Back