Reliability of US Weapons in Korea andModern Weaponst about Current Weapon

Having spent a few years in the 205th Infantry Brigade, an Army Reserve unit that usually trained the coldest part of January at Camp Ripley, Minnesota. One year the ambient never rose above -25 for five days then it warmed up to -20 for four more. Night time temps pegged my $12 hardware store thermometer at -40. These temperatures are in Fahrenheit, but at -40 it does not matter, as that is the point of coincidence.

An M16A1 must be kept dry and free of oil. Any LSA would impede cycling to the point of malfunction. The poster above whose instructor suggested that they urinate on the weapon to thaw it must have been joking. What a -30 to -40 degree rifle would do to 98 degree urine would be to freeze it into a frozen urine icicle.

The poster would stated that weapons must be kept outdoors is absolutely correct. The 3d Bn 3d Infantry SOP was to place the weapons between the tent liner and the tent at the entrance. The temperature here was pretty much the same as ambient. The weapons were never brought into the tent unless we were going to be inside for several hours with the M1949 Yukon stove going.

This NEVER happened in my squad. The 3-4 hours we were not out training we slept, firing the Yuke up to get into the sleeping bags, which we undressed to sleep in. Then we shut it down because my fire guards ALWAYS feel asleep. We fired it up for about 20 minutes or so when we dressed in the morning.

All weapons systems are degraded by the cold. Both the M16 and M60 if run "dry" will function in an Artic environment. Both with blanks, and with ball.

The experiences noted here took place in the period 1981-1985. The equipment we used was for the most part that equipment adopted due to the experiences of WWII and that same tentage and stovery served in Korea in 1950 and as far as I know serves the Artic Infantry yet today in Alaska.

Congratulations to the USAR AGR soldiers who were notified today that they had been promoted! Especially to SFC Patrick Harold Colby, now SFC (P) Colby, another stalwart member of the downsized 205th Infantry Brigade who continues to serve on AGR status.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited January 21, 2000).]

I have heard enough of this BS about the 1st. losing its colors, and running. PROVE it show me the documents. I have known men that were with the Cav. in both Korea and Nam. Not once did the Cav. ever show it's backside and leave an AO. The Marines yell and scream about all the glorious things they have done. At the Halls of Montezuma they held the mules, for the Army. The Marines like all the glory they recieve for the war in the Pacific, my Father-in-Law was one of the first units in the Phillipines. He jumped in with the 503rdPIR. There were Army units in the Pacific right along with the Marines, but they do not recieve any credit because the Marines wrote the book.
The war in Europe for the Army was just as bad and nasty as the Pacific Campaign was for the Marines. In Korea the Army put up a gallant front and was given some of the dirtiest jobs in that conflict, how many of you have heard of Pork Chop Hill? Go preach your Marine propaganda to some who cares. I happen to very proud of the fact that I served in the Army in Nam (69-71) at a time when many of you urban commandos weren't even born. Before you spout off, you had better check the facts.

TG:
Because of the fact I had always listen to the Corps propaganda on the subject I decided to do some additional reading and also discuss the issue with a Armor officer here at USAFAS. He gave me one of his books to read it was called "East of the Chosin" written by a retired army LTC named Applemen. According to the book the Eigth Cav Regt ceased to exsist in about 30 mins, the failed to put out adequete secruity and over half of them were bayoneted to death in their sleeping bag. This units remains are still being found every year and being repatriated to the US. On of the Bn of the 7th ID did a damn good job, its CO LTC Don Faith recieved the postumous CMH, but the unit was overwhelmed and eliminated.
On the battles in the Pacific in the WWII, the only units that fought at the second try at the PI were our Aircraft, providing CAS, because unlike the other services the Marines are the best air force in the world for providing CAS (every Marine pilot has gone through infantry school when he was a LT). The Army units that fought in the pacific did a good job generally, but even they would claim their was a difference in the way the Japanese fought and the Germans. One would generally surrender the other would rather commit suicide or fight to the end.
And actually the assualt force for seizing the citidel at Chapaltepec (SP?) was,made up of a Bn of Marines, the Officers and NCO took over 90% causalities on that day.
Not to take anything from the Army in Korea, but the 5th Marine Provisional Brigade acted as the "Fire Brigade" for the Pusan Perimeter. If the Marines were so ineffective, amazing how they saved the perimeter from a Korean break though.
And for Michael,
The instructors at the Mountain Warfare school let the student get the weapons frozen to prove a point about leaving them outside. As I also said it sounded like BS to urinate on your rifle, but it worked. And as a young LCpl at the time I ask the Sgt about it and he said that was a lesson learned from the Battle of the Bulge, it warms the weapon enough to let you shoot or work the action to clear it.

[This message has been edited by STLRN (edited January 24, 2000).]

Back