Registering Guns in Family Housing on Base

Larry,
(BIG grin!) I sure wish there had been more AF officers like you! Most that I met were a danger and threat to themselves and anyone nearby if they had a firearm.

It was so bad in 1963 when the Berlin Wall went up that our only real combat veteran (a true hardcase W-4!) ordered all the junior officers (yes, I said "ordered") into the Commander's Conference Room for firearms safety training. (A lot of those boys came out of there with big eyes and white faces! ;) )

I recognize that was only in our command and I fully agree that many officers (mostly elsewhere, darn it) were actual military folks. Glad to know you were NOT one of Ozzie's "soccer Mom" officers.

By the way, I retired with 20 years in 1979. Just when did YOU get out of short pants? :D

(PS: I'm wearing short pants right NOW! :D :D)

Keith:

With all due respect, you don't know what the career Os on this forum will do if that day arrives.

BTW, the only time this retired, burned out old paratrooper O ever clicked his heels was during D&C...what about you?

Ozzie/Dennis/LarryP:

Other than my wife, an AF Satellite/Space Geek, most of the AF Os I've hung/worked with over the years were CCTs and PJs. Pretty much a gym rat, hunting/fishing, gunowning bunch of excitible boys. If anyone tries to take their guns away, I wanna watch.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited October 11, 1999).]

Many on this list have said to not worry about the new AF reg, simply because all the other branches are doing it. My question to those of you who stated this is "Would you jump off a bridge if all the other branches were doing it? :)" The original poster had some really good question; like why all of a sudden does the AF see a need to get all them guns registered. Is it political pressure or are they just really slow in making decisions? My bet is political pressure. It is big coincidence that with all the heat guns are getting, Y2K and the looming threat of domestic terrorism thathe AF all of a sudden decides that registration is appropriate. Sorry, but I amnot a big fan of coincidence. My advice; move off base if you can afford it.

Daren:

Just received word from old friend (a senior officer) who is stationed at Ft. Hood. There is NO TRUTH to the rumor that soldiers living OFF POST will be required to register their POWs with the installation Provost Marshal.

My friend was quite sure of this, but verified this with the PM...it hasn't and ain't gonna happen.

Hope this clears up some major misunderstanding.

Mike

Mike-Thanks for clearing that up.

However I did hear that. The post might not have been Hood and the policy might not have been completely established. I really wish I could remember where I heard that. :(

Thanks

Later
Daren

One other thing to consider here is the latitude of the base commander. I have been stationed at bases before that required registration of POWs, others that did not. Sorta like some bases had gate guards, ID required, others you could just drive in. Perhaps this is more standardization than anything else, but the question was part of the reason that I almost never lived on base.

Still, commanders often thought they had a lot more authority than they did. I recall in about '74 my Wing Commander decided to require all military personnel AND THEIR FAMILIES to wear PFDs at all times when at the local lake recreation area (not on base). It is to laugh, and he simply made a fool of himself.

Dennis;

I got out of short pants a couple days ago during a cold snap. Back in them now!

I had no problem storing my private weapons in the arms room when I was in service because I was the armorer. I did try to make myself available when someone wanted to check out/in a private arm.

As for people "playing with" the guns, no one but the armorer or the officers should be in the arms room. If "playing" goes on, it sounds like a good case for a trigger lock; who could object to that?

Jim

Back