Registering an SKS

Dakota Law Dog - it's damn warm here in Arizona usually (although just perfect right now) - and, we don't have to register our weapons either. However, the girls just can't carry concealed in their bikini's and halter tops. This is a real problem, as you can imagine ...

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 01-12-99).]

SKS's with fixed magazines are not covered by Roberti-Roos. Converting a fixed magazine SKS to a detachable magazine rifle is a no-no. There were some SKS rifles that were imported with detachable magazines and could be registered and kept provided the owner could show he/she legally possessed the rifle prior to July 1, 1989. To be completely legal the rifle would have to have been registered on or before December 31, 1990.
There was an 90 day amnesty period for registration after the cutoff where more people could register their weapons because someone made a ruling the publicity covering the first registration period was sparse.
Attorney General Lungren had a policy that people could continue to register their weapons after the amnesty period because possession of an unregistered weapon could be converted from a felony to a $300 fine infraction by merely registering the weapon provided the person could show they lawfully owned the weapon prior to July 1, 1989,
Lungren withdrew that option because he took maximum heat from the anti-gunners and the Los Angeles Times during his election campaign. Someone sued him in court to make something like 14,000 registrations invalid because they took place outside the initial registration period and the amnesty period. This caused the famous Lungren SKS flip-flop that pissed off so many gun owners during the last election.

------------------
Bruce Stanton

What's with the "Roseanne" stuff? The SKS is a fine rifle. Very tough, reliable and a sweet shooter. The Russians, especially Tula Arsenal early to mid 50s (not reworked from part-crates) are the best. But all are decent firearms, especially for the money. I personally think that the "Roseanne" issue relates more to jazzing-up an SKS in the first place. The only thing I'd do is MAYBE put a synthetic Monte Carlo type stock on a Russian (if it was going to be a "working" rifle), and DEFINITELY onto a Chinese (does their wood SUCK or what?). Otherwise, to tamper with the mag-capacity and such is to tamper with the guns' function, reliability and balance. Those wanting detachable mags, get an SLR95 - WOWZERS! But SKSs, even at current elevated prices are well-worth it. I've got a feeling the prices will never go down, anyways. Does anyone think that even one gun-law is going to be repealled? That Schumer and company aren't right now having wet-dreams about even more gun-laws?

By the way, I'm DYIN' to buy another minty "all-matching, not-reworked" Russian SKS!! They ARE that good.

[This message has been edited by Herr Glockner (edited 02-05-99).]

Back