Reevaluating the EDC Kit: Flashlights and Knives

In other words, everyone can benefit from training, regular practice, and a little effort paid towards a healthy lifestyle. If people who aren't totally devoted to all of those things still want to sink a small fortune into a market that produces things I like, or be on board to protect our rights at the election booth, I won't be too harsh on them. At the same time, there really are some situations in which just having the right tool and having a little experience with that tool just might save a life or two.

The reality is that someone who hits the range on a semi-regular basis and has a gun with them could be enough to stop a mass shooter. They may not be able to run a half mile through the woods and take out a gang of ninjas with their eyes closed. They might be fifty or more pounds overweight and have an ongoing love affair with fast food. They might not be the strongest opposition a bad guy ever faced. They're still a heck of a lot better than none.

So if you're one of those guys, consider some lessons, training, or just stepping it up with a few drills. Have a salad once in a while. Take the stairs, if you're able. In the meantime, thanks for having a gun, a knife, a flashlight, and whatever else might come in handy.

Meanwhile, these folks are the same ones who sit for prolonged periods of time in front of their computers playing video games, hour after hour of sedentary lifestyle, paying no regard to their physical and mental well-being whatsoever. Junk food, soda, beer, sugary snacks. Load after load of crap they stuff into their bodies without ever thinking about taking care of their health. I feel sorry for these people because what good is all that tacticool gear going to do for you when you run out of breath from even moderate activity? They spend every waking hour preparing for engagements with enemy invaders, toughened criminals or terrorists on rampage, but they either don't realize or don't want to realize that diabetes and heart disease are their real enemies and may already be starting to kill them slowly.

I have encountered and talked to a lot of these kinds of folks on the road. Those who think that the world and their whole lives revolve around their guns and preparation for imaginary insurgencies and social disasters. But at the same time they are woefully ignorant and unprepared for much more mundane and silent things that pose a far greater hazard to their lives than any imaginable war or catastrophe.

There's a lot of truth right here. It never made any sense to me for a person to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to focus on an armed encounter which is statistically highly unlikely to ever occur while totally ignoring the far greater theat to their survival.

Shafter; It makes sense... its known as Escapism. They seek out an alternative reality, however temporary, to escape the mundane and boring existence of everyday life. Much like going to the movies or reading a novel.

I agree though, junk food, soda and an overweight and flabby body doesn't bode well in a survival situation. They sit around, stuff their faces and type away! How the hell does one expect to strap on boots and "head for the hills", if they get tired out just going to the mall to buy their new video game? Same with some of the self proclaimed self defense experts on here and Youtube. Great at giving advice and dolling out criticism towards others pertaining to technical and legal aspects of self defense, but most can't bench press their own Bodyweight, or hike 5 miles (perhaps even 2???), without calling a rescue team. God forbid they actually had to go hands on with a bad guy. Yet, they try to educate others pertaining to the law and self defense. Pathetic, but humorous! You can judge a tree by the fruit it bears. That's what's nice about technology, you can always track down and figure out what kind of "tree" you are dealing with.;)

People using an internet forum to point out all the people who are overweight and out of shape because in large part of the time they spend on electronic devices. There's a degree of irony and maybe hypocrisy here.

I'm 5'9" 160 lb. I could lose some weight, and I could be more active too. That said, I seem to be doing okay and can work in my yard for hours or walk for the day without any difficulty. I am all this despite playing video games with my friends from college at night. Heck, sometimes I even have a beer too.

Like all things in life, moderation is key. Stereotyping people doesn't help anyone other than generally make the person using the stereotype feel better about himself. It's also what the anti-gunners love to do to us. But hey I'm just a "snowflake", so what do I know?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It's perfectly okay to use Internet forums and discussion boards. There is a difference from talking knowledge with like-minded folks on a forum and learning new things. We are not like those guys in South Korea who spend entire days and nights in Netcafes hammering away at World Of Warcraft until they are not even aware that they have vacated their bowels and bladders right into their seats. Of course, that is an extreme example, but people who overdo and overindulge are very capable of traveling down that same lane on the mental freeway.

Like TunnelRat mentioned, moderation is key. I have pizza and may even indulge in a bag of Doritos once in a while. I also drink beer and whiskey. I never overdo it though. I love to be on TFL because it is educational. For example in the last couple of days I learned about the Evans Repeating Rifle and the Herrin Massacre for the first time. For someone with such a love of history I was surprised I did not know of these. I always enjoy the discussions here, but at the same time, I am not neglecting my physical health by remaining sedentary for prolonged hours or abandoning my social life and cutting contacts with nearby friends by being glued to a computer. And I am sure none of us here are living that way either:)

In other words, everyone can benefit from training, regular practice, and a little effort paid towards a healthy lifestyle. If people who aren't totally devoted to all of those things still want to sink a small fortune into a market that produces things I like, or be on board to protect our rights at the election booth, I won't be too harsh on them. At the same time, there really are some situations in which just having the right tool and having a little experience with that tool just might save a life or two.

The reality is that someone who hits the range on a semi-regular basis and has a gun with them could be enough to stop a mass shooter. They may not be able to run a half mile through the woods and take out a gang of ninjas with their eyes closed. They might be fifty or more pounds overweight and have an ongoing love affair with fast food. They might not be the strongest opposition a bad guy ever faced. They're still a heck of a lot better than none.

So if you're one of those guys, consider some lessons, training, or just stepping it up with a few drills. Have a salad once in a while. Take the stairs, if you're able. In the meantime, thanks for having a gun, a knife, a flashlight, and whatever else might come in handy.

Facts. Having access to a gun gives anyone a considerable edge in a violent situation. That is why I feel good and comfortable when I see law abiding folks of all kinds practicing with guns, going to the range and exercising responsible ownership and carrying.

Long time ago very shortly after Deng Xiaoping rolled back the Cultural Revolution and allowed free market enterprise, my Grand Uncle had been bedridden in his ranch house up in Hulunbeier, deathly sick from pneumonia, when a very large and very aggressive lynx prowled into the hamlet and menaced his baby grand-niece and her mother. Heard the yells for help come from the woman and the strained cries of the baby as they were held up in the wellhouse, with only a plank door and flimsy clapboard walls separating them from the snarling beast outside. He had been running a 104 fever, vomiting and near delirium, but still managed to stagger outside with a milsurp Zhongzheng-36 loaded with a full mag of 7.92x57. Racked the bolt, slammed it into battery and sent a single 180-grain FMJ through the skull of the big cat. Flipped it dead right on the spot and it ain't moved one twitch.

This is the same man who had told me once, "Son, you can be anything you want in life. Just don't be a burden on anyone". Since that day he had saved his grandniece and NIL he has had 6 major surgeries, had a tumor removed from his lungs, had parts of his lungs and stomach removed and had a spinal operation done. Much weaker today than he had been before, but he is still one tough son of a gun. I would feel sorry for anyone who would get into a gunfight with him, 'cause he is gonna smoke em' in a split second. Needs canes and crutches to walk but his shooting skills have not diminished one bit. For Christ's sake he actually uses his old Zhongzheng as a crutch when he's out checking the livestock.

I'd disagree that use of a computer, even for consecutive hours, means abandoning your social life or cutting out friends. I'm at the age where most of my friends are just having kids. Between work and family most of us don't have much time to get together (though we do when we can). What we do have is time at night, when the kids are in bed, to stay up and either talk online or play some games together. Computer use, like this forum, can be social in nature. It also can not be social in nature. To me there's a line between recognizing the potential downfalls of behavior and stereotyping behavior. It's not an easy line to walk and figuring out when someone is doing one as opposed to the other isn't always easy, especially strictly through text like here. I'm just pointing out what I often see as a tendency among some people to stereotype others while at the same time being angered at the stereotypes often applied to their own groups.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Gear check! :D

I have been carrying the same handheld light for about 5+ years now. I will share a pic if you want. It's a Surefire E1D Defender. It's basically all aluminum now (exaggerating, but it's beat up!). So that hasn't changed.

As for EDC lights, I've been using WML for years as well. Surefire X300U for most of those years. Recently switched to a Streamlight TLR-7 from a small test with an XC1 from Surefire. It just didn't have enough *umph* for me. Especially coming from an X300U. And now there is a 1,000 lumen X300U coming out! Can't wait. :)

So the X300s are on the MK25 (which I carry appendix with the X300U) and the FNX-45 Tactical. That sports a Vortex red dot and an FDE X300U. Which is an OWB gun.

My EDC pistol is an HK USP 9 Compact and has a GG&G rail with the Streamlight TLR-7. It shares it with the Glock 19. But that's been almost six months since the Glock has been my main squeeze. I have the XC1 on the P229.

As for knives, the past few years has been a Benchmade 810 Contego. However, that M4 super steel has to be sharpened by Benchmade because I cannot for the life of me do it myself. So I recently bought myself a Cold Steel Tanto folder with the new steel they're using and 4 Spydercos. 2 Delicas, a Matriarch, and an Ocelot.

Shipping the Benchmade out soon. I only had one knife for the longest.

Anyway. Nice post!

Bonus:

I carry medical with me everywhere. At the very least on my person there's a SOF Tourniquet and Israeli quick clot bandages.

The Vertx EDC Ready bag has A LOT more. :)

I have the 2016 version of the Fenix PD35. It's "okay," but IMHO not nearly as rave-worthy as Rachen's review makes it out to be. However, mine is not the "new and improved" version. My biggest complaint is that the light simply doesn't operate the way the instructions claim it should operate. To me, that's a problem.

I'm not going to throw it away (unless it stops working), but I'm also not likely to buy another Fenix if I'm shopping for another tactical light.

Gear check! :D

- LCR 327 with Hydra-Shoks
- Klarus P20 with diffused 5000K Nichia 219C
- Pilot Precise V7
- Kershaw Clash

Of course I've got a smart phone and a wallet. I've also got a stainless steel AAA light from Convoy on my key ring with a 4000K LED. I no longer wear a wrist watch.

I personally dont have a flashlight in my edc rotation. I have a flashlight at work, at home, and in the car. I'm not strolling through poorly lit neighborhoods or woods, or clearing houses. The LED on my Note 8 lights up an entire room quite good. And yes its always charged because: I have a charger at home, at work, and in my car. Bring the right tools when you need them. For me, I dont need one on me 95% of the time, and the other 5% Im covered.

Last edited:
Siggy-06, that's why I carry a penlight. I carry pens anyway and the P20 rides along with them in my shirt pocket. It's relatively nondescript and it does a lot for its size. Of course, not everyone carries pens these days, nor does everyone have the right pocket for a pen-sized object.

You might want to consider a key chain light if nothing else. Technology has come a long way. You can get some truly excellent little flashlights that ride on your key ring with relatively little pocket impact. I like the AAA size but you can get them smaller if need be. Once you start, you may find it handier than you expected.

There are advantages to having a light that isn't part of a phone or tablet.

Siggy-06, that's why I carry a penlight. I carry pens anyway and the P20 rides along with them in my shirt pocket. It's relatively nondescript and it does a lot for its size. Of course, not everyone carries pens these days, nor does everyone have the right pocket for a pen-sized object.

Here is one thing to consider if you want to carry a pen light but don't normally carry pens in your shirt. If you carry eye glasses in a shirt pocket in an eyeglass sleeve then get a slightly oversize sleeve and put your pen/pen light in it alongside your glasses. I always carry reading glasses in my shirt pocket when outside the house and found that the sleeve is an excellent place to stash a pen. It would work just as well for a pen light.

Knives:
I carry an old Boker gentleman folder in the pocket most days and keep a Bear Ops Auto folder in the other.

Lights:
I carry a Streetlight Micro stream (50/250 Lumens) or, if space allows, an OLight S2R (.5/12/120/500/1020 Lumens) Baton in my back pocket.

On my key ring sits an OLight i3e eos (90 Lumens)

Keep a 3" folder and an OLight i3T eos (5/180 Lumens) in my center console, along with a holster rig set up for car- carry.

Firearms:
Spare mag in the front pocket on a neomag and a Security 9 in a Clinger holster IWB (today, at least).

Misc:
Always have an iPhone, wallet, various pens and a comb on me as well, but I guess those aren't too tactical...

To me with the availability of very small lights putting out quite a lot of light, I like to have a light with me. Sometime I am in a place I didn't expect to be and a light it beneficial. Yes my phone is an option, but sometimes I need to use the phone and the light at the same time but not pointed in the same direction.

Yes my phone is an option

My biggest issue with the phone light quite honestly sound silly when said aloud...

I can’t hold my phone in my mouth and have the light pointed where I want it.

With hands full, being able to chomp down on a flashlight and see what you’re looking at goes a long way for me..

... sometimes I need to use the phone and the light at the same time but not pointed in the same direction.

I can’t hold my phone in my mouth and have the light pointed where I want it...

These are both good reasons to carry a standalone light source. Add to that:

- you might have to hold your light source at an odd angle or in a tough situation in which a phone-sized object is harder to manipulate and/or could be easily dropped or caught in something;

- using your expensive and otherwise important phone as a light source in some situations could cause it to get dirty or damaged;

- you might want to lend your light source in a situation where you wouldn't want to be apart from your phone;

- you might not want your light source draining battery life from your phone or vice a versa;

- you might be in a situation where you want two sources of light;

- you might want a different tint, pattern, or intensity of light that your phone doesn't offer.

I carry a .32 Keltec in my pocket, a tiny Photon-type light and a small Swiss Army Knife in the other pocket.
Clipped in my back Pocket is a SOG Flash1 knife, converted to automatic. This is a small, 2" bladed knife.
Being a knifemaker-I never have felt the need for a "tactical" knife!

Back