Redhawk: first time it's let me down. Thoughts?

The only thing I didn't strip was the cylinder assembly but I sprayed that too and re-lubed. The wheel now spins for a full 10 seconds before coming to a stop and the trigger pull is smooth throughout.

Sounds like you're good to go!

Some years back, a friend brought me an SP101 (somewhat similar mechanism to the RedHawk) the cylinder could only be turned by hand, pulling the trigger wasn't enough. With the cylinder open, it could be turned by hand, but would not spin.

He brought it to me, hoping I could fix, or at least find the problem, without having the expense and especially the wait time going to a regular gunsmith.

The problem turned out to be a crud buildup on the cylinder axle (the crane), it was simply, completely gummed up, and a good cleaning returned it to full service, good as new. The rest of the gun was clean, it was gummed up "inside" the cylinder, where the owner either never thought, or didn't know to check and clean it there. I explained it all to my friend, and showed him how to deal with it. No idea how many rounds it too to get to that state, but its been several years, and I haven't seen that gun again, so maybe the lesson was learned.

Sounds like you are on top of the issue.

and sorry for not noting you were using magnum cases :o

and sorry for not noting you were using magnum cases

Between you and me, it sometimes happens with the Spls too!!

I do need to perfect my reload. I do like the revolver matches but that reload kills my competitiveness. On a good day, my shooting is not bad which I'm pretty pleased with considering how little experience I have in revolver shooting.

dont get dicouraged

not sure of the bullet you are using but I would suggest putting a good crimp on the bullet I have seen the same result with some of my 45-70 rounds

not sure of the bullet you are using but I would suggest putting a good crimp on the bullet I have seen the same result with some of my 45-70 rounds

It's a plated truncated cone, 200gr bullet. But I also have a LSWC in the works. I just need to settle on a load because of unburnt powder at lower charge weights.

Crimp may help some, but I just think that the N350 charge is not great in shorter barrels. I had loads of problems in this respect using the same powder in my snub back when I was trying to find a single powder for both my .44s and .38s.

I'm not overly discouraged, but I do feel the pressure of never having time to test loads or practice. I even have to cram as many comps into these first few weeks to be sure that I have enough "match points" to remain in the league: it's that hard to know that I can get to the range!!

I have a redhawk in a 5.5 but i have never had the problems that you speak of. I use 20.1 grains of h110 and it seems to burn it quite efficiently, but if match shooting and low recoil loads are your thing the h110 would be a poor choice because you can't back the charge down much. Perhaps unique would be a better choice?

I have a redhawk in a 5.5 but i have never had the problems that you speak of. I use 20.1 grains of h110 and it seems to burn it quite efficiently, but if match shooting and low recoil loads are your thing the h110 would be a poor choice because you can't back the charge down much. Perhaps unique would be a better choice?

Alas, I am pretty limited in the powders I can obtain here. Vihtavuori and a sprinkling of Hodgdons.

TBH, I'm hoping to expand the use of N320 from .38Spl and .44Spl as I use it now and I hope to get it to make a mid-range magnum.

The trigger mechanism on the redhawk has a couple of small springs and plungers. If the Trigger plunger has a rough spot or some powder has gotten in there then a DA pull may rotate the cylinder but NOT cock the hammer.

rotation without cocking the hammer" syndrome is because the trigger is not fully resetting. This is common if the trigger spring has been replaced with a reduced power spring or if the trigger plunger has rough spot.

By the way this is a weakness of the Ruger trigger mechanism the Smith and wesson design does Not have. The tiny plungers and plunger springs are less robust and more prone to malfunction than the S & W design with its larger more robust parts. I had this same malfunction when I owned an SP101. It was because I disassembled the Ruger to clean it and neglected to fully seat the tiny plunger in the spring. It took me awhile to figure out why the cylinder was rotating but the hammer failed to cock in DA.

Last edited:
is this redhawk a 44 mag

i'm guessing this is a 44 mag and your firing 44 spcl for reduced recoil.
if this is the case I think you would get a cleaner burn with 44mag cases and firing reduced loads with a mag primer and good crimp on the bullit

Yes. RH in .44Mag.

I shoot a mixture of .44Mag and Spl.

This particular occasion it was a magnum albeit mid-range. 1/4 turn crimp on a Lee FCD.
I'd used that as it was the least necessary to stop bullet jump, but may have to increase the crimp a little.

Last edited:
Back