Redhawk .45C/.45ACP?

Drobs,
There was no "One Best ACP Load" in both guns.
One gun preferred one ACP load, the other preferred another.

If you want the whole story, spend $4 & buy the Kindle write-up available through Amazon.

You'd need to experiment with your own sample to see what works best in it.
Denis

I was going to get the .45 ACP/.45 Colt combo of this gun and decided not to and just stick with the .45 Colt version with the Hogue Grips.

I reload for both .45 ACP and .45 Colt but it just didn't make since to with the combo gun knowing that .45 ACP is a much different cartridge than .45 Colt.

If it was somehow a different .45 ACP cylinder, that could easily be swapped out, it would be a different matter.

Two different cylinders would have been the best way to bring about comparable accuracy between the two calibers, as in the Blackhawk, but swapping cylinders would not be quick, and two sets of fitted cylinder/crane assemblies would raise the price of the gun beyond what most of its potential market would be willing to pay.

Ruger did an interesting job in how they approached the dual-caliber engineering, but there are just certain physical aspects of shooting those two calibers through one cylinder that leave the gun with less successful results than the Blackhawk's two-cylinder set-up.
Denis

A modern day Webley.

I was set to trade for a new one, up until I tried to pull the trigger.

With amy aging hands, I'm lucky enough to operate a SP-101 or LCR..so the
gorgeous .45/45 Redhawk had to stay in on the shelf.

Too bad, as I could see myself loading it with .45 GAP for home defense
and .45 ACP for the range..and .45 Colt for the woods.

My Ruger caps;; off to those of you guy who own or want one.

However, a Blackhawk or Bisley in .45/45 might come home with
me in '17.

Model12Win: If You are wanting a handgun that shoots both 45LC and 45ACP very acutely. IMHO You would be hard pressed to beat a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible that has both the 45LC cylinder and a 45ACP cylinder. I bought mind NIB in 1971. And it has always been my favorite SA Ruger and it still is. And I have several SA Rugers now. If I shoot it off of a dead rest at 25 yds The 45LC cylinder will shoot to point of aim and group about the size of a golf ball. But if I switch to my 45ACP cylinder the group remains the same golf ball size, but shoots about an inch higher. Just can't get much better than that, for me any way. This Old Ruger is one of my all time Treasures and an Old Friend. And I shoot it alot.
ken

A friend bought one. At first it would not chamber 45 colt in one charge hole. When he got it back fro Ruger, between the trigger pull, fail to fire and accuracy woes he got rid of it.

I think a convertible Blackhawk is a much better gun.

Yes, a convertible Blackhawk it shall be.

If I could find one. I've scoured the net and used slickguns.com to hunt for a blued 5.5" .45 convertible with no luck. They must be between runs.

The Blackhawks are very sturdy. They are an example of a firearm to consider buying used, since they are tough to wear out. I have five SA Ruger revolvers. I bought four of them used, and they all work fine.

Model12Win: Don't get in too much of a hurry one will come your way. Take Your time and be picky on the Ruger Blackhawk 45LC & 45ACP Convertible you buy for they will last forever much longer than You will. My Ruger 45LC & 45ACP Convertible has a 7 1/2 in barrel and I prefer it over shorter barreled Rugers. My Son and I have bought quite a few SA Rugers over the years, NIB or Used in different calibers but mostly in 45LC. And again we have never had any type of problems with any of the Rugers we own. We are dyed in the wool S/A Ruger fans, but we have a few Ruger D/A Revolvers, and several Ruger Semi Automatics as well. Good Luck To You.
ken

What he did in that video can't be taken as any sort of a comprehensive accuracy test.

One .45 ACP load is not indicative of what the gun does across a wide spectrum of loads.

As I've repeatedly said, in testing multiple ACP loads through two samples I got a couple loads that ran around 2-3 inches at 25 yards, and others that ran 6-13 inches at the same distance.

The model CAN shoot decently with ACPs, but you may have to experiment with several to find one or two loads that do.
Denis

Well judging from the tests from those hear, for true target shooting, I'd have to say otherwise.

Hickok wasn't target shooting, if anything he was plinking at his steel plates.

Hickok wasn't target shooting, if anything he was plinking at his steel plates.
Plinking at 60-80 yards. Yeah, but if this Redhawk was giving say, 5-6 inch groups at 25 yards, then he shouldn't have been able to be getting hits on his gong or turkey silhouette.

I've read about accuracy issues with the Redhawk firing 45ACP rounds. With one cylinder for both rounds the 45ACP has a gap between the end of cartridge and the beginning of the cylinder throat.

The better bet is the 45 Colt/45ACP Blackhawk convertible. It has TWO cylinders, one for each round.

1st,
I shot the same 9 factory ACP loads through both samples.

The SIG 200-grain JHP was the only one that ran a fraction under 3 inches in both guns, and considering it had a shorter OAL, that surprised me.

The Win White Box 230 FMJ produced a 13-inch BEST group in one gun, and an 8 7/8-inch BEST group in the other.

All at 25 yards off a rest, 5-shot groups on black bulls.

Truth,
I doubt he was plinking quite that far out, but even if he was, as I said the gun CAN shoot with the right load.
He evidently lucked into one that WAS the right load.

If you think you want to carry this farther, go do your own actual shooting tests, off the bench, at 25 yards, with more than one load, measure them with a ruler center-to-center, and get back to us.

In the meantime, what Hickok shows in your video link is not a valid test of accuracy by any reputable measurable standard.

Even my tests were limited in the overall scheme of low-sample methodology, but far more comprehensive and analytical than what he did.

Not knocking him, he just doesn't do gun reviews. He does gun talkabouts & shoots a bit informally while he's at it. :)
Denis

The same inaccuracies can be experienced with most guns firing "off the shelf" ammo. That was one of the reasons I started reloading in 1969, I couldn't find any factory ammo that was accurate in my 3006. The gun is accurate with the right load. That 45 Colt/ACP is just like any other gun, you have to find a load it likes.

Back