Redesign the 405 winchester.

Hawk makes .411" JSP or JHP bullets at 235 and 270 grains.
Montana Bullet Works has .41 gas check bullets 210-265 grains that ought not to lead.

Thanks jim I will get with my reloading buddy tomorrow he may already have some. I know he reloads for the 41 mag. He will have to load the ammo for me anyway.

If the .405 was good enough for Teddy Roosevelt, it ought to be good enough for you.
Actually, if you read the story about that safari, it was not enough for Teddy. Low sectional density caused poor terminal performance on a lion and a hippo, and Teddy put the rifle away.
A smaller 416 Taylor off the 450 Marlin case would be a real thumper on hogs , deer , bear
.416 Barnes is a 45-70 necked to .416", named after Frank Barnes of COTW fame. Claimed to be more than enough for any animal in North America.

Go to Gary Reeder's web sit and check out the .378 GNR based off the .405 Win. He has everything you need as far as .405 brass and dies to get you started, and he'll build you a custom Encore barrel in it.

This is our most popular encore cartridge. It is the 378 GNR, the most powerful 375 caliber wildcat cartridge going, second only to the 375 H&H and runs just barely under the 375 H&H. This one has taken many elephant and dozens of Cape Buffalo. The perfect large dangerous game cartridge. It is the 405 case necked to 375. Dies and data are available.

i had a 375 jdj in a contender carbine and it was a bear to shoot hot loads in, safe but hellofa kick. i looked for a used ruger #3 in 375 win to rechamber but never found one. its the 444 marlin necked to 375 and it was very easy to form. eastbank.

Back