Redding Carbide Full Length 454 Sizing Die

Jim Watson: Please note that quote and double quote in my OP was originally discovered on this forum via web search ‘Redding Carbide 454 dies’. The entire reason I am here is to track the source. The original thread was posted here on 7 Dec 2002 by a member known as ‘mellow’. I have no knowledge of any carbide instructions first hand. My carbide die had no specific instructions. I’m trying to establish if any manufacturer has ever published any specific special instructions pertaining to carbide dies and if so does anyone have documentation of that publication. There are/is many articles, chatter, opinions by knowledgeable folks and I do not doubt the logic of not sizing the entire case. Somewhere at some time I would think a manufacturer would have published something.

I plan on writing a letter (the kind with a stamp) to Redding asking if such a document ever existed and asking for a direct answer regarding carbide die specific instructions. A stamped letter will necessitate a reply. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Jim Watson: Please note that quote and double quote in my OP was originally discovered on this forum via web search ‘Redding Carbide 454 dies’. The entire reason I am here is to track the source. The original thread was posted here on 7 Dec 2002 by a member known as ‘mellow’. I have no knowledge of any carbide instructions first hand. My carbide die had no specific instructions. I’m trying to establish if any manufacturer has ever published any specific special instructions pertaining to carbide dies and if so does anyone have documentation of that publication. There are/is many articles, chatter, opinions by knowledgeable folks and I do not doubt the logic of not sizing the entire case. Somewhere at some time I would think a manufacturer would have published something.

Not the exact wording of 18 years ago, but I find

"Question: My Titanium Carbide Resizing Die is leaving a ring on the bottom of my case, is there something wrong with my Die?

Answer: The size of the carbide ring inside a Titanium Carbide Sizing Die must be small enough to allow the case to accept a bullet with adequate neck tension. Thus, the bottom of a case may be sized a little more than it has to be. Usually, backing the Die away from the Shellholder to size approximately ½ of the case or enough of the case to hold the bullet will rectify the problem.

Redding's Dual Ring Carbide Sizing Dies were developed to solve this problem."

at the bottom of the Redding FAQ:
https://www.redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips-faqs/132-faqs1

I guess my dies didn’t have the two ring ceremony. If the reinvented the design and the alleged instructions vanished, that would lead me to believe the issue did exist at some level. This mystery is showing daylight.

Back