Red dot for .22 pistol

Rikakiah

I very recently got a Ruger 22/45 with rails (no iron sights). Looking for some suggestions on a decent red dot. I want something quality, but it obviously doesn't need to stand up to any recoil. Preferably not greater than a 4 MOA dot (2 would be better since it will be more target shooting not speed/defensive). Hoping there's options in the $100 range, give or take.

Next question is reflex or tube? I'm guessing that's probably largely personal preference. I think I'd like the more open view of a reflex, but a tube might be more durable for when I just stuff the gun into my bag. I know you shoot either both eyes open, but that might be harder for me psychologically with a tube.

Top contender on my radar now is Primary Arms.

Thoughts?
Thanks.

I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on my Mark III and like it a lot. Another good option is the Primary Arms Microdot. Both are just under $100.

If it's going to be used for competition, the tube type is faster on target and still works as a sighting device even if it fails.
For plinking, it matters less.
Although, until you get used to a dot sight, the dot can be hard to find.
Unless the gun is well pointed to the target, the dot has a tendency to disappear off screen.
So, in the final analysis, get the one that is easiest for you to use.
And, in bright daylight, green is easier to see than red for most folks.

Guess I'll hit a few local shops and try out both styles a bit more. My LGS only carries higher priced ones and Cabelas seemed to only have cheapo ones last time I was in, but I guess either can give me a feel for style.

I prefer green already, but any with that option are typically pricier than I want to spend on a .22.

I had a 6" 22/45 and like you, put a weaver rail on it. I installed my Millett tube and while it was fun, it made the already top-heavy 22/45 absurdly unbalanced.

I also tried it on my CZ Kadet but just couldnt deal with the extra height.

May I humbly suggest a micro reflex such as a JPoint or similar.

Mine's the 4.5" with threaded barrel. Feels very well balanced, but definitely gets front heavy with my suppressor. Had originally thought a laser on the bottom rail would be fun, but once I put that suppressor on, robustness became the mantra. Definitely looking for the appropriate balance of quality, price, AND weight...

I'm sorry I don't remember the make or model, but a friend of mine who is a competitive bullseye shooter has a small tube on his competition pistol.

I have been told that the main difference between expensive red dots and cheap red dots is how they stand up to recoil. I put a Tru-Glo on my Beretta Neos that I got on sale for $30 and it has been doing fine for three or four years now. 22LR out of a relatively heavy pistol gives almost no recoil for shooter or sight.

My only experience is with the tube type. I have a Millet on my MKII 512 . It has held zero and I have been satisfied with it. It would fit in your budget. A step up toward the $200 range would be an Ultra Dot. These are popular with Bullseye shooters and a very nice optic.

Yes, your .22 doesn't really need an expensive scope, due to the low recoil.
I've even used a $30 airgun dot scope on one without harm.

Yeah, if it were for my M4, I'd be deciding which Aimpoint model to get. However, I still want some decent build quality and a crisp dot with clear glass.

The JPoint looks great (namely the weight), but with a mount I'd be paying almost as much as the gun itself. Can't justify that for a plinker/possible squirrel hunter.

I guess I'm seeing I probably can't too go wrong with any choice for a .22. Just have to figure out if I prefer a reflex or tube. Leaning towards reflex due to weight, but that may change once I look through a few (hopefully over this weekend).

Last edited:
I have a BSA RD20CP (basically same size as a bushnell TRS-25 but half the price) on my 22-45. Laugh if you want but it had the smallest and most distinct dot I could find. And batteries last FOREVER. I wouldn't drop it on any of my 357's but for the 22 it works great.

I had a Burris Fast Fire II on my MKI and I shot rimfire steel competitions with it for a couple years. It may be a little more expensive but I liked it a lot.

You'll find that quality has other features beyond recoil resistance. Such things as dot clarity and adjustment precision are important regardless of caliber on which the optic is mounted.

More expensive optics tend to be clearer, and on red dots, the size will be more true to advertised size, and sharper, less "fuzzy".
If for competition, go smaller dot and higher quality, you will not regret it. I, and everybody else, ran tube dots when I shot bullseye.
For plinking, it's up to you.
However, after years of trying to buy as cheap as possible, I have found the hard way that usually there is just no satisfaction, only varying degrees of dissatisfaction.
And a drawer full of cheap red dots.

If accuracy is what you want, moreso than speed, you'd be better off with a low power scope rather than a dot.

If you buy a dot, you may as well go ahead and buy a good one, since later on you may want to use it on different guns

I have an original Aimpoint 1000 I bought in the 80's that has been on 5 or 6 guns, both rifles and handguns up to 44 Mag, and it's still working like new.

It's currently mounted on a 10/22 for nighttime predator control

The best for a pistol is a reflex sight.

It has the open view you need for a pistol.
But if you want a little better accuracy get the Bushnell TRS-25

Last edited:
Back