RED DAWN: Revisiting a classic patriot film

The movie was Apocalypse Now, which Milius also worked on.

If you remember, there was a scene after the raid on the re-education camp where the russians where firing squading re-captured older men against a fence at the smoldering camp. The "bad guy" leaders were discussing the appropriateness of such harsh action, and what it might lead to.
It was my impression that the Wolverines armed the men and gave them a chance to do what they could, but neither wanted to take them on nor had a definite plan for there escpae, other than liberation and a chance for some vengence.

Screw the Russians. I wish Patton could have marched on to Moscow. We would not have had some of the problems encountered from the late 40's till now.

Red Dawn was also-- in part-- funded by the government. During that time, when the threat of Nuclear war was looking more and more like a promise, a few movies, along with other "mediums of media", were funded by government funds in an effort to instill and awaken a nationwide sense of patriotism and all that good apple-pie-lovin' stuff.
That doesn't mean that Swayze was somehow picked to act his role because his "dirty-dancin'" good looks had a brainwashing effect, or any such "agenda,etc.", so, not so fast, conspiracy theorists . . .
I still think the movie wasn't all that good, and I'll keep my thoughts about the realism of the skirmishes portrayed in the film to myself.

Back