Recommended gun for firing 9mm +p+ ammo?

Yeah, I've compared std federal 115g, 124g +P GDHP, Fiocchi 115g +P+ FMJ, and regular Fiocchi 115g in my CZ, and the +p and the +P+, I really couldn't tell the difference in recoil shooting them in the same mag. In fact the reg fiocchi's are pretty hot. Both Fiocchi's were made in Italy. The +p snd +P+s did have some more recoil, but not much.

I feel if it's a newer gun of a "Good" name shoot away.

I have a few cases of that British surplus L7A1 ammo , widely regarded as +P+ if not hotter. The only pistols I own it will get shot thru are my CZ-75B and Star 30M.

Is there really any worthwhile gain in stepping up to +P+ in a handgun? I can't help thinking you've reached to point of diminishing returns once you get to this point. It would seem to me that anything above +P is just beating up the gun and a slightly louder bang. Actual real world gains in effectiveness can't be that much.
That said, if I were to use it, I think my CZ would digest it without drama.

Ok, I was mistaken. At least one manufacturer approves it in writing.

My info came directly from talking to Springfield and Beretta reps & techs.

Springfield was in particular "no problem" , they just didn't recommend shooting over 2000 rounds of it "due to excessive wear" on the springs, etc.
When I said I had 500 rds from someone, their answer was "oh, no problem at all" . We were talking XD's and 1911's. They did say it may cycle the EMP too fast, but it wouldn't hurt the gun.

Bookmobile, +P+ 9x19mm rounds, HK S&W....

If you read over the owner's manual(s) of the new handgun like the Smith & Wesson M&P(9mm) or the SIG main website FAQ, you'd learn that the factory does NOT suggest shooting ANY +P+ 9x19mm ammunition in SIG Sauer or M&P pistols.
My new M&P full size(which left the factory floor 10/31/2011) clearly stated NO +P+ rounds. ;)

To my understanding HK-USA's 9mm models(P30, USP, P2000, etc) CAN safely digest/feed the hot +P+ rounds due to the advanced barrel design.
New in box HKs are not cheap but they are in use with many LE agencies & military units worldwide.
FWIW; my city's large PD issues the Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP for the SIG Sauer P226R. The city has issued SIGs for about 18 years. The PD's union members groaned about the .40 & .357sig and the police chief authorized PODA sidearms(private owned dept approved) .40S&W/.357sig SIG Sauers.

I know Bookmobiles are rare but reading really is fundamental. :)

CF

With my CZ75B, the first 7-8 rounds are GDHP 124g +Ps, then the rest in the 15 round mag is Fiocchi Nato (Cross Circle) 115g +P+. Those have blue lacquer on the primers. That way it's a little cheaper when I unload them the fun way at the range

.357?

My first post, I agree with many others on this topic if you want to push a 9mm bullet that fast get a .357 sig if you were given 9mm +p+ and need to shoot it then a glock 17 would do the trick if you don't make it a habit.

The reason that most manufacturers don't give the OK for +P+ ammo in their handguns is because that designation is not officially recognized by SAAMI or CIP (CIP doesn't even recognize +P, but that's another discussion). Standard pressure and +P both have defined limits, but +P+ is essentially up to the individual ammo maker's discretion and the only thing that can be safely assumed from that designation is that the ammo in question may be loaded in excess of maximum +P pressure, but how far in excess is up to the manufacturer.

While I will shoot some 9mm +P+ in my CZ-75, I am very picky about only shooting some very specific loadings and only in very limited amounts. My chosen 9mm carry load is Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ and I'd also feel comfortable shooting limited amounts of Federal's 115gr +P+ loading. What I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting is some of the military surplus +P+ ammo such as Hirtenberger 124gr FMJ. A lot of this military ammo is loaded to much higher pressure and is intended for use only in submachine guns. Use of this ammo would likely cause damage to most handguns in relatively short order.

I also don't make a habit of running a steady diet of +P+ ammunition through any handgun. Frequent use of +P+ or +P ammo will increase wear and shorten the life of any firearm regardless of how heavily built it is. I personally restrict my use of +P+ ammunition to 1-2 boxes per year and CC duty only.

There's nothing wrong with the OP looking for more power from his .9mm or any caliber for that matter. Isn't that one of them many benefits of reloading? For those of us who do not reload, different power options for the same caliber is a good thing.

Last edited:
Since the question was just to shoot 9mm +P+, you want a Ruger Blackhawk
.357 convertable to 9mm

Otherwise you will need a stronger recoil spring for which ever pistol you choose for a lot of such shooting.

There's nothing wrong with the OP looking for more power from his .9mm or any caliber for that matter.

That's the thing, he didn't say he had a 9 he wanted to shoot +p+ ammo in.

I was wondering if there was a list of recommended guns for firing 9mm +p+ ammo.

So the question is if he is looking for a gun, why not go with a 40, 45ACP, or 10MM?

My department used to issue the Federal 115 grain +P+ jacketed hollow point. I carry the Glock 19. I fired many rounds of the Federal +P+ through my G19 with no ill-effects.

I also fired many round of the +P+ through my Glock 26 with no hiccups.

Both pistols are doing just fine at the time of this post being written. Still carry them both on and off duty.

A couple years ago we switched to the Federal 124 grain +P HST. Why? Because.

Hope this helped, but it probably didn't. Everybody always wants a definitive answer.

rAll of my Beretta 92, SIG-Sauers, and Glock run very well on regula usage on +P+ ammunition. All of mt 9MM practice hand loads are loaded +P+ equivalent.

It's a simple question; I don't know why you guys try to analyze everything outside of the question. There ARE pistols out there that will safely handle limited diets of +P+ 9mm. I am hanging on to my CZ75 for that reason. I believe it is in the top 3-4 pistol designs that can eat a lot of +P+, but I am not personally qualified to endorse the others.

It's a simple question; I don't know why you guys try to analyze everything outside of the question. There ARE pistols out there that will safely handle limited diets of +P+ 9mm. I am hanging on to my CZ75 for that reason. I believe it is in the top 3-4 pistol designs that can eat a lot of +P+, but I am not personally qualified to endorse the others.

I can personally attest that SIG-Sauer, Glock and the Beretta 92 will run virtually forever with +P+

New person here... I was wondering if there was a list of recommended guns for firing 9mm +p+ ammo. I have searched and seen a lot of threads not recommending it in certain pistols, but have not seen any pistols recommended for it...

You might as well go ahead and get a 357 Sig. If you are going to be a bear be a grizzly.

Back