Recommended gun for firing 9mm +p+ ammo?

olegsomphane

New person here... I was wondering if there was a list of recommended guns for firing 9mm +p+ ammo. I have searched and seen a lot of threads not recommending it in certain pistols, but have not seen any pistols recommended for it...

Ruger, Glock, S&W, Beretta... When I was researching +P 9mm ammo I came to the conclusion that the Win 124+P was a really good round. When you look at the actual velocity difference between that round, a regular 124 grain and the Nato rounds, it isn't a big difference. My Beretta was made for the NATO load. The 9mm NATO is not really any harder on the gun then the 124+P. Now if you want something like the 127+P+ that is a different story (just buy a 357 sig!) Also you have to look at how much your going to shoot the +P. Miami Dade, NYPD and a few others shoot them all the time out of their Glocks and there isn't any reports of excessive wear. Most likely you'll be firing standard loads most of the time with an occasional box of +P.

+P+ is really not defined by SAAMI so I would never use it .If 9mm +P+ isn't enough go to 40, 45 !! :D

I carried a S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series on duty for a while and used Federal 9BPLE 115gr JHP +P+ for duty ammo, never had a problem.

Do some searching and find out what the Illinois State Police, Dekalb County, GA S.O., and others carried for guns when they were using 9mm +P+ ammo. They used it for years with excellent results.

My Sig P239 has seen a boat load of .9mm+p+ and has shown no significant wear for it. About 5 years I bought 1000 rounds of Winchester ranger ammo and shot it all within 5 range trips, never a problem.

4257571a-a083-1304.jpg

The above slide has seen well over 7000 and a good amount have been +p and +p+.

From my personal experience,

My ugly Glock G19 has been GTG using the stuff. Not surprising considering the Glock's goat-like reputation. As expected recoil is a tad bit sharper while shooting +P+ but it causes myself no extra concern whether I am using standard pressure, +P, or +P+.

Welcome to the firing line

I know that a friend who is a LEO uses +p+ is his glock service pistol, other members here will be able to tell you alot more information than I can, but I know for certain that the glocks can with no ill effect.

I don't think ANY manufacturer rates their handguns for +P+, since that is by definition an undefined power level, above SAAMI specs.

I felt comfortable shooting it from a CZ75, and I imagine some other guns mentioned will handle a reasonable amount of it, but I seriously doubt any owner's manual will say +P+ is authorized.

I contacted Sig about using +p+ in a P226 and their response was essentially "Don't go past +p ammo." The reasoning for that was +p+ is beyond SAAMI recommendations.

I used to own a gen 2 Glock 17L that didn't like any thing but 124 NATO or +p ammo.

I will shoot +p+ in my Uzi, but that is an entirely different critter.

I don't get the whole +P, +P+, ++PP++, or what ever maxed out loads when, if you think you need more power you can just move up in caliber. If the 9MM isn't enough, get a 45ACP, or if you really want to show Mall Nijaness, get a 10MM!
Besides, a well placed (that's called accurate shooting) round of standard pressure 9MM is much more effective than a poorly place round of any caliber, or power level.
Guess it's just human nature though, and we all go through it. Bigger, and badder is better!:D

The typical +P+ manufactured in the USA , is approx 10% above +P.
Most gun manufacturers don't recommend a steady diet of it, as it will increase the wear and tear on the gun (recoil springs, etc).

Beretta 92, 8000, PX4.
Springfield XD, 1911
Probably any 1911, except 'short barrel' 1911's (cycles them too fast).
Ruger P95 is probably OK.
Any sub-machine gun in 9mm.

Don't know on Sigs.

Been told by Glock, to never shoot it in a Glock. You'ld have to ask them about why.

Any short barrel gun is likely to have more problems because they would cycle too fast with it.... so you have more chances of it failing to feed the next round.

My recommenedation would be guns designed as large frame handguns or scaled down from such guns like the S&W MP 9c.

Don't use it in small frame concealed carry semi auto guns.

There is mounting evidence that those small concealed carry semi auto's are not surviving the beating that 40 s&w rounds are giving them.

You don't want to jam the gun open with a stovepiped round just when you need it most.

+P in seldom use,just a few for practice and then for carry is a different matter altogether.

That round is a known quantity to gun manufacturers.

But even then,what your gun manual for your specific gun says rules.

Otherwise you are gambling with your life.

So far I have only fired +P+ in my Ruger Speed Six. Yes, I known, it is a revolver. But I figure that the design was made for .357 Magnum so will handle 9mm +P+ just fine.

But I now have a S&W 5906 and it seems like a strong enough gun. It is all steel construction and heavy. I may try some in that gun.

Bart Noir

Paul K #6

The HK USP is rated for +p+

MLeake #9

I don't think ANY manufacturer rates their handguns for +P+, since that is by definition an undefined power level, above SAAMI specs.

Not sure about that because I just don't know. But that's my way of thinking.

I felt comfortable shooting it from a CZ75, and I imagine some other guns mentioned will handle a reasonable amount of it, but I seriously doubt any owner's manual will say +P+ is authorized.

Been there, shooting 9mm 115g Fiocchi Nato cross circle +P+ in my newer CZ75B, I never had a pistol talk to me saying "Is that all you got"?. I'm feeling luck and I'm going to shoot (800+rounds) the rest out of it.

As for as the OP? Why you ask? Like people have said, you want power, get a more powerful cal

I was randomly given a couple boxes of the +p+ 115 grain Federal and had picked up a RIA 9mm Tactical at the time. I emailed Armscor and they said it'd be fine to run. It soaked up the added recoil pretty well and ran with 100% reliability.

IMAG0665.jpg

Per Ruger's FAQ:

The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition.

As for as the OP? Why you ask? Like people have said, you want power, get a more powerful cal

I was just curious about the characteristics of +p / +p+ pistols - heard that most people would only shoot them from steel frames... Also figured it would be a more durable gun and allow me to try different ammo types.

Back