recommendations for long range rifle

God forbid the rifle is out hunting and gets dropped from a tree stand or onto a rock, scopes can and do break. The rifle absolutely has to have iron sights. I know that very few bolt rifles these days have them.

If that happens, you shouldn't shoot a game animal before confirming your zero, Iron Sights or not.

If it is that important to you, install a front post and put a Williams peep sight in your gear bag, you can pull the scope off and install the Williams in about 5 min.

.223 is out of the question, i dont like the cartridge. Not enough power for my tastes.

I guess my question now is what would be the most potentially accurate? A brand new CZ 20.5" barrel (push feed), a used winchester 70 or used rem 700? Will be handloading,

You probably don't want to hear it, but I just got a Cabela's flyer in the mail today, they have the Ruger American Predator everyone keeps recommending on sale for $400.

I guess my question now is what would be the most potentially accurate? A brand new CZ 20.5" barrel (push feed), a used winchester 70 or used rem 700? Will be handloading,

Of those three, most likely a CZ 557 will be most potentially accurate. And available in 6.5x55 which is a dandy cartridge for long range shooting if you handload.

Jimro

The barrel is pretty short, and the MSRP is ~$800.

Looks like those Iron sights are going to cost you about $400.

Real cost of the CZ is $650. It is all forged steel with a cold hammernforged barrel. Reknowned for precision and durability.

I would much rather pay the $250 extra dollars for the quality upgrade of the czech rifle.

A 20" barrel will still good velocities, especially if utilizing rifle powders meant for such length barrels.

Get a Savage. At least, you'll be able to re-barrel, and have aftermarket support with stocks, DBM's, triggers, etc. if you get into the hobby seriously.

The CZ, or Ruger American, will end up in the back of the safe or on Gunbroker.

Not that they won't shoot well enough to get you started and gain experience- they should. But shooting 1000 yards is a completely different ballgame than shooting 600 and a different "level" of rifle is needed. You just need to decide whether you want to start with something that you can modify and accurize as funds permit- or look to another rifle when you can shoot better than that CZ or RA.

And forget the irons...

Last edited:
I don't know anyone who is serious about 1000 yard shooting who is using a factory stock rifle.

Doesn't mean you can't have fun showing up with one.

Jimro

In the end tobnpr, and to an extent JIMRO are right. If you seriously want to shoot 1,000 yards effectively or even remotely competitively, you need to spend about $2k. Jimro is wrong in that you CAN buy a factory 1000 yard gun, Ruger precision rifle? Savage BA 110 .338 Lapua? M98 Brovo? Anyway a 1000 yard gun setup on the cheap would be a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 credmore ($1,100) and something like a Leupold M4 or Swarovski, night force etc. If you are satisfied with 600 yards, a good savage or Remington 700 will be fine and a $500 scope.

I came upon some enlightenment, and decided that I DONT NEED IRON SIGHTS on this rifle.

After some further research i am almost dead set on the Ruger American predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I will be able to share most components with my dad and it will have low recoil, reading several reviews it is a very accurate rifle, and a good rifle in general especially for $400. It also has a savage style barrel nut barrel system so barrels should be fairly easily interchangeable.

I will likely not see 1000yds much, and maybe nor even ever, most ranges encountered will most likely be 600-700max, my dad had not shot past 600 in competition yet. He is a member of a local rifle club and i dont know if their range even goes to 1K yds. So this rifle will be used for plinking to about 700yds and competition if i can get good and make it enjoyable.

With the $400 ruger, a nice set of rings ($80), and a decent $300-400 scope i think i will have fun and it will be a good introduction into the medium-long range world.

Furthest i have shot was about 250yds (with my AK) making hits every shot on a oxyen tank (roughly 13"w by 4 1/2ft tall). Have also in the past shot mt slug sight with iron sights at a small torso paper target ranged at 213yds with iron sights, and made 4/5 shots on that target with offhand shooting using Hornady SST sabot slugs.

Good choice P71 Pilot. A couple suggestions on scopes, Nikon monarch 4x16x50 Mildot, leupold VX-R 6x18, or leupold Vx-2,3.....these are in your $400 price range. And Burris signature rings to protect your scope from ring scratchs as well as allowing you to add up to a 40 moa cant on the scope when zeroing at long range, about $80 but be sure and get the Burris XTR signature rings as those are indestructible AND they come with all the inserts, you'll thank me later

Get yourself a quality sportered Mauser or Springfield in .308, or .30-06. You'll cut your initial budget by a lot and can spend the money you saved on a good scope and mount.

MarkCO, Mississippi

Your two responses are a great example of people reading into a message something that wasn't written there.

I did not write that you couldn't shoot competitively with a factory rifle, only that I don't know anyone who shoots competitively with a factory rifle. That's like fifteen people in the Indiana/Kentucky/Tennessee/Washington areas who shoot 1k and also happen to go to normal cross the course High Power matches that I attended.

P71pilot,

Enjoy shooting! For 600 yards and less you can really get some good ballistics out of 120 to 129gr match bullets from the 6.5 CM. I'm rather fond of 140gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets for my 6.5 Swede and they should work nicely for you as well.

Jimro

My bad Jimro....you are correct most competitive long range shooters have a highly customized setup. My long range gun, though I only compete locally, is .338 LM M97 with a US optics 32 mm tube 6x32x58

Well the easy part is over with, The Rifle decision has been made ( I would get something much nicer, but alas i am a 23yr old roofer, living on my own and all that)

The hard part is going to be the optics decision.

It will be roughly a year or so till i have all my own reloading equipment, so until then, i will buy a few boxes of factory ammo until i can have about 100-200 cases and reload them on my dads press.

I appreciate the comments and opinions guys; one of the great things about the internet, being able to easily share thoughts, experiences, and opinions, simply by tapping our fingers

Jimro, I did not read anything that was not written. Just asked you a simple question.

I have a high end custom R700 in .260Rem, but i choose to shoot my RPR most of the time.

Mark CO,
Why no "carbon feather" handguards for the RPR (esp since you're a fan).
That aftermarket seems to be exploding...just sayin'

Back