Recommendations for Disabled Shooter

I had a real radical idea.
Try it out.
I started with my S&W M&P, my Preferred Plastic Pistol, recommended above.

With the magazine just standing on the bench top, I could not load it onehanded, it just skated around or tipped over.
With it held down, to simulate a loading stand that could be built, I could slowly and carefully load it with one hand. My dominant right hand could load it full, but my left hand could only manage 14 rounds in the 17 round magazine.
I figure the OP's student could get it full with a well compensated left hand.

Using a dummy round for safety in the shop, I could stand the magazine up on the bench and push the gun down over it until the magazine catch clicked.
The Burwell rear sight has enough of a ledge to charge the chamber by hooking it against the bench edge. A sight made for the purpose would be even easier. The Handiracker would work if screwed down, but your rear sight is with you always.

For the reload from slide lock, the magazine catch can be reversed for southpaws, but I just pushed the button with my left middle finger, pressed the gun down over a fresh magazine, and pushed the ambidextrous slide stop.
If wearing a holster, you could just holster the empty gun, feed a fresh magazine in from behind, and hit the slide stop. Our one-armed USPSA shooter does it that way.

I consider the concept proven and continue to recommend the type.

But how about that nice simple revolver so often recommended for the Delicate Little Darlings?
I dug out the pretty engraved S&W M640.
Right hand only, it was not hard to thumb the latch, swing the cylinder out with the forefinger, punch the extractor rod against an object, put the gun down, insert a cartridge in each chamber, pick it up, push the cylinder back in with the thumb and be ready to shoot.

Left hand only was a challenge. Wrapping the thumb around to reach the latch was a strain, I finally got the cylinder open by bumping it against my knee, then punch the rod and lay the gun down to load. I don't see how a speed loader would work unless provided with support like the magazine loading stand. I could reseat the cylinder with my forefinger and be ready to shoot if I didn't drop the darn thing.
No doubt an obligate southpaw would have better control, but it is still a lot of work. I can't recommend the type.

So, the universal answer: Fly before you buy.

I bought my wife the Walther PPQ as this was what was pleasing to her for her hand. She loved that you could adjust the grips by changing the backstraps. This gun is totally ambidextrous and out of the box has the best factory trigger at approximately 5 pounds. Easy to rack for my wife as she is dainty as a woman gets.

I am a physician very experienced in disability evaluations. From the posts of interest, I have absolutely no idea what the type and severity of the disability is, so I will suspend judgment on the various recommendations made.
Critical questions are how the disability would affect slide racking, malfunction drills, recoil tolerance, reloading (SA and revolver), trigger pull (single vs double action) and dexterity in any needed reloading.
When these are known, evidence-based recommendations can be made. Right now, all are guesses.

Grendel P10, which comes in .380acp.
Fat slide which is easy to rack. No outside controls.
Small and compact, yet holds 10 shots.
Usually less than $150 in any pawn shop.

I use one as my "toss in a pocket" when wearing shorts.
Went to the movies today with it...New Mutants was an OK flick ;)

The S&W Shield 9 EZ is a smooth shooting gun. My wife has one and it is easy to rack, recoil is mild and the mag has tabs on the follower to make loading easier. Takedown can be a bit of a booger til you get used to it. You can't depress the grip safety or pull the trigger. If you do it won't come apart or go back together. If she has a weak grip I would recommend getting one with a thumb safety and taping the grip safety down. My wife has weak wrists from carpal tunnel surgery and the grip safety gives her problems. She has to concentrate and make sure it's depressed before it will fire for her. I used a thin pony tail holder to keep hers down but tape would be smoother.

We have a 380 EZ, and I can’t imagine an easier to handle and softer shooting pistol. That said, if I only had one hand, I believe I could load a revolver, though slowly.

Back