recommendations for a very specific type of bolt gun

Venture

Ill second the tc venture. They even make a nice little compact model. I have a compact in 7mm08 as my main deer rifle. Between the 5r rifling, fantastic stock (very stiff, free floated with a bedding block) and adjustable trigger id say they are an extremely underrated rifle. Im also a big fan of the 60° bolt throw. The magazines are very thick and durable unlike the crappy savage magazines I have for my model 11.

Six months ago I purchased a Browning X Bolt Medallion in 223 Rem -- certainly not a "pile of poopy." The same Browning X Bolt 223 (base/grade I model) can be had for a couple hundred more than you are venturing now. Rec --- save up, delay gratification for a couple months then pick up a top end, late model designed rifle. They are sweet !

.02. David. :eek:

I'd look at a Savage, Heavy Barrel (varmint aka Savage speak), Cabell only 10T.

Rails, detachable mag, good action, can change barrels with $125 or so in tools (mainly the action wrench from NSS)

SUB MOA from the factory, can tune better with re-loads.

OP, I have a .223 Howa 1500 with the detachable 10 round magazine. It is an excellent shooter, especially with 55-62gr bullets. Magazines are expensive, $40+ but you said something in your post about flush fitting. They are not, they extend about two inches below the stock.

I've been investigating .223 bolt rifles myself, and the one that seems to get my attention most is the CZ 527. The Lux and Carbine models both have iron sights, and although you need special metric dovetail rings, they sport some very fine woodwork, a single set trigger, and, if they're like my other CZ's, superb accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tahuna, there is this thing called a "Warranty."
oh really? I've never heard of one. maybe... maybe you could explain what this magical warranty thing is that turns a cow pie into a pot of gold?:eek:
if you'd read the thread youd see that I've already attempted contacting Mossberg and that so far over the last several weeks of correspondence all I've received is the recommendation to try different mags.
Six months ago I purchased a Browning X Bolt Medallion in 223 Rem -- certainly not a "pile of poopy." The same Browning X Bolt 223 (base/grade I model) can be had for a couple hundred more than you are venturing now. Rec --- save up, delay gratification for a couple months then pick up a top end, late model designed rifle. They are sweet !
a little outside of my price range. definitely a good rifle but I'm not after a safe queen. I'm after functional.

I've been investigating .223 bolt rifles myself, and the one that seems to get my attention most is the CZ 527.
I actually toyed with the idea of the 527 a few times in 7.62x39mm. never really considered it in 223 for some reason. there aren't many of them in my area so I'd likely have to special order one sight unseen which is what has prevented me from ordering so far.

I appreciate all of the feedback from this thread. I went to the store dead set on the American and something at the last second forced me to say Howa 1500. I definitely like the feel of the howa better as well as the fact that I don't have to special order the magazines straight from the manufacturer, although I would still like a flush fit mag rather than the stick mags. it seems a bit cheaper made than my weatherby vanguard, despite the claims that the vanguard is an economy brand version of the howa, however it still seems miles above and beyond the mossberg. I've already tested the feeding several times and have yet to have it hiccup so this weekend is definitely going to be a range day.

despite the claims that the vanguard is an economy brand version of the howa

I would say the vanguard is an economy version of a Weatherby built on the Howa action.

My vanguard and S&W built on the Howa action both have better fit and finish then my Howa 1500 but all of them are great shooters.

Funny thing is, Mossberg used to sell the Howa 1500 under their own name (the Mossberg 1500). I had one and it was a great rifle. If I remember right it was developed from an early Sako design.

Back