Recommendations for .44 Magnum Revolver

Mine is a 5.5-inch Redhawk.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Redhawk441.jpg
    Redhawk441.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,765
Thank you sir!!!

I'm behind the times on that one for sure.

I'll have to check the local stores to see if they have one.

Go try a few on for size. Probably no other cartridge requires as good a fit or has as many different sized revolvers.
More good advice. And I'd add, in spite of love for my "L" frame Smith M69, if you REALLY ARE going to be firing lots of full house .44 Magnum loads, you owe your wrists, elbows, and ears, a good heavy revolver and superb hearing protection. BTW, I wear BOTH plugs and muffs.

Nanuk, thanks for the link.....OOOOOOU that's nice; I"m thinking: Skeeter load and a speed loader!
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-69-combat-magnum

Best Regards, Rod

Last edited:
$250 for a new barrel is awful tempting.
On one hand, it's less than a new gun.
On the other, there's no guarantee that once it's done, that's what you'll want.

Personally, I'd probably just get a whole new gun and see how I liked them both before making a decision.

801e6ae1edb5979f266e4b59370632c6.jpg

Here is my Smith And Wesson Performance Center 629 Hunter with a ported 7.5" barrel. On top is an Aimpoint H1. Recoil is not bad.

Below it is my Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" 454 Casull. It has a scope on top. I'm not a fan of scopes and I'll be replacing it once I install my Weigand Rail for it. Recoil is not bad at all, either. I was using very hot loads for it going 1900 fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going to have a .44, you should have at least one Inspector Callahan model. :cool:

It's on my bucket list along with a Bisely Super Blackhawk 7.5".

Don't expect an older 29(the "Dirty Harry" revolver) to hold up to true magnums like a Ruger or the newer Smiths do. Learned the hard way when my 29-3 frame stretched(so much for "they don't make them like they used to"). I suppose since you've already got 44s, you needn't put that much wear on it.

It sounds to me that a regular Redhawk would fit you perfectly. But since you already have DAs, why not give a SA a try?

Legionnaire has a good thought with his 5.5" Redhawk (not Super). I would be okay with it too but would want the open backstrap rubber grip borrowed from the 45 Colt 4 5/8'. Here is what it would look like based on my 45 Colt model which is discontinued at this length:
WP_20170312_002.jpg

It sounds like you need a 4.2" Redhawk , but I would hold one first it has a very fat grip .

I have tried different grips on the Redhawk and came back to the stock rubber. It fills the hand but is deceptive, since this gun has such a oddly long trigger reach due to its grip frame. I wear size Small in gloves, so if I like this grip, I wouldn't say it is overly large. Truth is, nothing feels quite right with this strange gun.

I'l give another nod to the S&W M69

I've had mine for a while now and really find it to be an excellent handgun and totally agree that, if you're firing full house magnums a lot, it may be a handful - but for occasional use along with a regular diet of 44 Spec or milder magnum loads, it is an excellent revolver.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I have two .44's. One is an old Interarms Virginian Dragoon sinle action.
The other one is my S&W 629. I love both of these revolvers, but I shoot a lot more .44 Spl than Magnums, just because my arthritic wrists and hands just can't take the recoil lie they could 10 years ago, but I still love shooting the full magnum loads on accasion.

20160808_155751 (640x360).jpg

Hawgleg_2.jpg

Back