Recommendations for .44 Magnum Revolver

ATN082268

Ever since getting my Ruger Super Redhawk, I've been thinking about possibly getting a second .44 Magnum Revolver. I'd probably want to stay within a 4 inch to an 8 inch barrel, double action and currently produced but besides that, almost anything goes. And if you have a suggestion which cracks those parameters, I still want to know :) Thanks.

If you want a working gun vs. a safe queen, look at the S&W 329PD. Light to carry easy to shoot with with .44 Specials. I OC mine daily.

.44 Mags = pain, lots of pain. The one downside.

Good luck with whatever you choice you make!

I've owned five .44 Magnums over the years; 4 Smith's and a Ruger Flat Top. All were accurate beyond my ability to hold without a scope mounted. All, easily beat my personal definition of good accuracy as less than a 2" group at 25 yds from a rested shooting position.

The Ruger is a 50th Aniversay model with the signature 'flat top' and is a real joy to shoot. With a 6-1/2" bbl. however, it suffers from 'packability' to coin a word. I just don't strap it on for anything short of range sessions. It's easily as accurate as my Smiths and handles both cast and jacketed bullets with aplumb.

Three of the Smiths sport 6 & 6-1/2" barrels and are superbly accurate, had enough weight to allow repeated firing with full house loads but are a PITA to carry unless you're walking. The long barrels make sitting (in autos, tractor, or garden mower) all but impossible. They're strictly range toys, or hauled out to a deer stand, then kept in my lap while hunting.

I've had the 3rd Smith, for two years now and is a new Model 69 with a 4-1/4" barrel. Designed for the "L" frame, and weighing less than 38 oz., it's chambered nevertheless for the .44 Magnum. Smith has graced this model with rubber grips that really soak up the recoil...better by far than anything else Smith has stocked their revolvers...ever, and I've owned them for 50 years now. Accuracy with this new model is all that I could have wished for (see pic) with both .44 Special or Magnum rounds. While others have had trouble with leading with lead alloy bullets, that has not been the case for mine.

But arguably, the best feature of the new model is its weight...and short barrel. It makes carrying it, in any conveyance, an all day comfortable exercise. It's often on my hip while doing chores here on the farm and rides, without digging into my ribs, on the tractor, truck, lawn mower or aboard my mare, Juniper.

While definitely harder in recoil than it's larger, "N" frame safe mates, it's ok for short durations on the range or while hunting. And I'd add, that most .44 Magnums fire far more .44 Special level loads than the full house types, in spite of the crowing of some macho types on the web. Those rubber stocks, while not esthetically as pleasing as good wood, really soak up the pounding.

Now, you're going to hear about that infernal S&W internal lock (IL), and the shrouded barrel...features that I myself don't like...but...and it's a big but...this is one very usable, packable, and superbly accurate revolver...and that trumps the IL and shroud in my bookl In truth, I no longer notice...it's that good. If you're looking for a belt gun, not a range toy, I don't think you can do better.

Here's a pic of the M69 with a representative target (BTW, that's a 1050 fps chrono'd load), and another of it and my Smith M629 with a 5" bbl. Both are equally accurate. Note the similar grips...recoil absorbing for sure. The add'l pics give an indication of the size difference between an "N" and "L" frame. The last pic is of the Ruger Flat Top with a pair of home made walnut grips.

HTH's Rod

Last edited:
Paying attention, since I don't know of a current production double action, 44 Magnum that I would buy without some strong objections/compromises. It is much easier in the single actions or don't-make-em-like-they-used-to guns.

I love my S&W Performance Center 629 Hunter 7.5" revolver. It has a great trigger, the recoil is not bad, it is ported, it is large and heavy enough for recoil, and it's very accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the first crack in those parameters, I would go with a Super Blackhawk in a cross-draw holster. The second crack is about not being limited to current production: Since I like fixed sights, I would look around for a Ruger Vaquero.

Go try a few on for size. Probably no other cartridge requires as good a fit or has as many different sized revolvers.
Your Super Redhawk has the same size grip as the GP 100. A Smith 629 etc. may not fit your hand.

Since you like your Ruger it would seem that Ruger would be a good choice for the next gun too. Ruger has a history of making a very strong and durable gun. Any gun that matches its strength is going to be more expensive.

You have defined a niche that S&W does better than Ruger, the latter specializing in single action. You already have the Super Redhawk. The standard Redhawk grip frame has that long trigger reach that pretty much dictates an open back strap grip. That gun is a monster, better suited IMO to cartridges larger than 44, but you have already covered that. What I would advise looking at is a S&W 629. I have a 6" 629-1 and a 5" Classic, but it is offered in 4" and 6 1/2"as well.

".44 Mags = pain, lots of pain. The one downside." Not necessarily.

Choice of equipment, physical characteristics of the shooter and ammunition all play a part in how much "pain" is experienced. My advise to anyone considering a .44 mag, (or any pistol really) is to purchase a basic reloading kit.

Reloading saves money and lets you produce the custom ammo to tame any magnum. :cool:

Ruger SRH Alaskan?

Same trigger you are used to, but for a completely different purpose/size.

S&W makes great stuff. I have 4 S&W revolvers.

I have 6 Ruger Revolvers [3 DA/SA and 3 SA].

It all depends what you want to do differently with it.

Your SRH can be made to work well for hunting or for range work on targets. It will work well for bowling pins or for anything other than packing regularly.

An Alaskan can be packed readily [size wise], and has enough mass to allow powerful .44mag to be fired [unlike the S&W 329- OUCH!, crimp jump too?] when you want to. However, it is not one for daily long shooting sessions.

You can buy a shorter .44mag in DA/SA from Ruger [they sell a 5" SRH TALO model, and a 5.5" or 4.2" RedHawk], or you can get anything S&W sells.

S&W can be made with smoother/lighter trigger than Ruger [Although my Rugers are great, my S&W SA shots are smoother/crisper]. For precision, with down-loaded .44 rounds, the S&W has the potential for better groups/smoother operation.

Or, you can have a good trigger job done on what you have.

Taurus Raging Bull has an interesting record, but I'd stick to Ruger or S&W. Dan Wesson or Colt might be fun, but they cost more and I don't think there is enough benefit to outweigh the expense.

[note: I have .357mag in Ruger, S&W and Colt- but haven't fired the Colt yet. No, not a python. It's predecessor: the Model 357.]

So,

Having a different gun is fun, but what do you want it to DO differently? Or, if you want the same, just grab a S&W Model 629 with factory power port [different]. I'll be honest. I sold my S&W 629 w/ PowerPort to get a Ruger SRH in 7.5" barrel. And I have NO regrets.

But, I want something that I can shoot all handgun appropriate .44mag loads from. S&W can do 95% of them, but Ruger SRH [or SBH] can do it all.

I feel no need to get another .44mag [SRH 7.5" and SBH 5.5"], but, if I did, it would be the Alaskan, for that 'other' role that neither of my two .44mags fill well: concealed carry/backcountry backup to rifle.

I would not overlook the Taurus Raging Bull.The Raging models seem to have less issues than others.

I have a 6 1/2" and it is scary accurate. It is also the softest shooting 44 mag I have ever shot (mainly because it weighs a ton). Also has a nice trigger.

Overall not as nice as a Smith and won't have the resale value. That also means some good deals on used ones

629 Classic 5"

I like my 629 Classic 5". I shoot mostly Specials through it, but it is heavy enough to mellow out the sharpness of full-throttle Magnums. The trigger is really nice, for a new Smith & Wesson (they really don't make 'em like they used to).

0818151341_zpstqvd3apb.jpg

I also have my 33 year old "Dirty Harry." It's a safe queen, but it sees the range once or twice a year.

44Mag_0928020857_zpsa9922fe9.jpg

Another vote for the S&W model 69. Picked mine up a few years back, in spite of the Hillary hole and have nothing but positive things to say about the 69.

Very comfortable to shoot most factory .44 mag loads, in spite of its light weight (4 oz. lighter than a Ruger GP-100, I believe), and more accurate than I am. Shooting .44 spl through this gun is a pure joy, up to and including some pretty warm loads I rolled myself.

I did switch the grips to a Hogue, which I personally feel cushions recoil forces a little better than the stock rubber grips. YMMV of course.

Here is another big +1 vote for the S&W 629 Classic with a 5" bbl. Just enough weight to tame the recoil of off-the-shelf .44 mag loads down to manageable levels but not so big you can't carry it around or get it out of a holster quickly if you need to.

For me, anyways, the 5" bbl rides much better in a shoulder or hip holster. I have no idea why 1" makes so much difference but there was just not enough room in my ladder stand for both me and a 6" 629 Classic. The 5" bbl makes a huge difference, or did for me.

For me, anyways, the 5" bbl rides much better in a shoulder or hip holster. I have no idea why 1" makes so much difference but there was just not enough room in my ladder stand for both me and a 6" 629 Classic. The 5" bbl makes a huge difference, or did for me
Yep, me too, and it was also the favored bbl. length for no less than Skeeter Skelton, albeit in .357. Rod (The model 27 with a 5" barrel is my #1 grail gun.)

RodFac said:
Smith has graced this model with rubber grips that really soak up the recoil...better by far than anything else Smith has stocked their revolvers...ever, and I've owned them for 50 years now.

The X500 grips are vastly better than the stock grips.

Back