Recommend varmint rifle and scope on budget

I hunt groundhogs in Pa and Prairie dogs in SD. I don't think I've ever seen a dedicated heavy barreled rifle with just a 3-9.I've seen lighter gun used for walking with a 3-9.I find that most of the time my scopes are set at around 15 power.The 22/250 works fine but if I every get mine rebarreled again it will be 1-8 twist would be nice to use heavier bullets.I would be looking at the .243 and the 6mm Creedmoor also.Picher pretty well covered it but I like the higher magnification scopes

I would look at a howa m1500 scoped package.

If not I've had good luck with Simmons scopes or for a little more money but still budget friendly Mueller scopes.

I also like Mueller scopes for the money, but don't have one on a heavier-recoiling rifle. They're very clear and accurate.

We tended to walk around a lot when hunting chucks in Maine, so didn't see the need for high-powered scopes for most varmint hunting.

When we were teens, we used woodchuck hunting to practice for deer season. I didn't have much money and variable scopes were way out of my price range in the 1950's, so I had a 2.5X Weaver on my accurized Savage 110, 30-06 "deer rifle". It grouped under 1 min. with handloads. My buddy had a Win 70, 30-06 with a 4x Weaver.

NOT considered a varmint rig, but I averaged 220 yards for my prone kills one season that I kept records. That was around 1960, when chucks were plentiful and stupid in central Maine. All shots around 100 yards were offhand and we didn't miss many.

Thanks for the input guys. We went with a Ruger American Predator and topped it with a Nikon Prostaff 5 in 3.5-14x40. I think this will make a great combo ( after we do something about the ugly green stock!)

I also have the Prostaff 5 in 3.5-14x40. What reticle did you get in yours? I got the Mil-Dot and I have it on my Ruger American .30-06. So far I can bust a milk jug at 880 yards with it. The glass looks VERY clear to me.

We went with a Ruger American Predator....

Excellent find. It has a good twist rate that will allow you to shoot heavier bullets if you want to.

Personally, I wouldn't let the stock bother me any at all.

Back