Recommend varmint rifle and scope on budget

Jevyod

I am looking at getting a 22-250 for groundhogs/ coyotes. Can anybody recommend a specific rifle and or scope? I would like a scope with at least 12 magnification. I would prefer a rifle with a heavier/ varmint contour barrel. I have an absolute max budget of $750. I do not know if this matters, but I reload and would load somewhere in the 50-60 grain bullets. Max shot would be 400 yards.

Savage Arms Model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter package. Regular Price: $649.99 . Currently on sale at Cabela's for $549.88. No more low end scopes on Savage package rifles either. That one sports a Nikon 3-9X40. Sexed up with a Mossy Oak camouflage stock.
12x really isn't necessary. Loses close range focus and longer range FOV.

You really don't need 12x to shoot groundhogs/coyotes @ 400 yards.
I'd recommend a HOWA with a $150-200 Sightron or Vortex scope.

Savage axis or FV12 with a vortex, leupold or Nikon scope and your good to go.

I shoot woodchucks 100-300yards with a savage axis 2 heavy barrel, accu trigger with 6-18-44 vortex crossfire. Gun shoots 5 in a nickel and under at 100yards.

For those saying you don't need a 12x to shoot woodchucks I tried 9x and just want enough when they are creeping through the bean fields or farther out and you have to thread the needle.

OP its better to have a 12x and not need it than need it and not have it.

Either a Savage or Mossberg scoped combo is what I'd get. Or a Savage w/o scope or a Mossberg Patriot w/o scope and add a 3-9x Redfield of Nikon scope.

I have both new Redfield's and Nikon's and would not hesitate to buy them again. I've never owned a Savage CF rifle but have shot one of the older 110 a couple time,s. Based on all the good I hear about Savage I don't hesitate to recommend them. I do have two Mossberg Patriot's, 243 and a 308. The only reason I got the second, the 308, is because the first, 243, impressed the dickins out of me. Mine are the wood stock version, bit over $400.

I doubt you'll ever have a need for more than 9x in a scope! If you do, I can't help you!

Don't forget that the Cabela's Savage 12FV TXHillbilly linked to has a $100 mail in rebate, bringing the net cost to just $269.99. That is one of the best deals around for a Savage action with Accutrigger, 26" heavy barrel and oversized bolt handle. I bought one for my son a couple years ago in .308 Win. and it has been a tack driver.
This might be a decent scope that fits your budget and leaves a few bucks for rings and bases. https://www.natchezss.com/burris-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope-4-5-14x42mm

Ruger American Predator and Burris Fullfield II in 4.5-14, or an upgrade in scope to Leupold VX3 4.5-14 CDS, if it fits the budget max. The Burris, and I have 2, is a lot of scope for the money.

400 yards is a long distance for shooting. Even at night this is much harder for someone for aiming accurately. I hope you'll get a good one under you budget $750. Good luck!

Way out of budget... I no longer shoot PD and other varmints

BUT I think the Sako Fin Lite 85---- in 22-250 cuz it is super lite and fits me like it was model on my body dimensions

http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-finnlight

I keep hinting to my son......who I have given $1000 of riles to

that this is my Xmas or Birthday wish

$1600...most places

I shot one to 400~430 yards with a cheapo Simmons scope.... blew PD brains on every shot... fell n love

Another vote for the Ruger.
I have a Sightron STAC 4-20X50. Love the thing!

Just got a Sightron SI Tac 3-9X40. Picked it up for a co worker from Amazon for $98.
Really pleasantly surprised how good the glass is!

Going to have to get one for myself tomorrow.

Just don't tell the wife!

The Ruger Predators are $389 OTD here. That leaves $361 for a scope. Between myself, my brother, and friends we have 7 of them in 308, 223, and 6.5 Creedmoor. All 7 are tack drivers.

what I did

If you are just dead set on a 22-250, I'd say the Ruger Predator is the answer. Virtually everybody says the Predators, in about any caliber, shoot lights out.

I recently wanted a budget varminter, and looked long and hard at the Predator. But the slimmer barrel did not fit the picture I had in my head, and I was not dead set on a 22-250 either.

I ended up with a Savage Hog, .223 and topped it with a Bushnell Elite 10x. If I ever shoot the Hog enough to need another barrel (one can hope), rebarreling the Savage system is fairly simple. I dunno about a Predator. The 22-250 is indeed fast and flat, but these days, with the right bullet, a .223 rifle does not give up a whole lot to the bigger cartridge.

The big decider for me was .223 brass is everywhere......usually underfoot from the latest AR barrage .

Don't forget that the Cabela's Savage 12FV TXHillbilly linked to has a $100 mail in rebate, bringing the net cost to just $269.99. That is one of the best deals around for a Savage action with Accutrigger, 26" heavy barrel and oversized bolt handle. I bought one for my son a couple years ago in .308 Win. and it has been a tack driver.

I missed this and it bear repeating.

Th OP want a heavy barrel. The OP wants a 22-250. The Op wants 12x min power scope. Why not help the guy out?

Looks like opportunity was missed. Cabela's now shows the 12FV back at regular price of $419.99. Rebate of $100 is still available through March 1. $319.99 net is still a decent deal on a very accurate rifle that I am sure would serve the OP well. When great deals pop up, one must seize the moment. It may be a while before another one as good comes along. You snooze, you lose.

The Ruger Predator is a good rifle for the money. I've been very impressed with the reported accuracy.

I liked the .22-250 Rem for varmint hunting, but had a few concerns. First, the twist on my Remington 700s was too slow, so it wouldn't stabilize 60 grain bullets. Second, it is pretty wind-sensitive beyond 200 yards, especially with 50-53 grain bullets. Third, it's not a great cartridge to reload for, due to the tapered case walls that cause more case-stretching than other straighter-walled cases exhibit. Fourth, it's hard to spot misses with those small bullets, especially after using a .30-06 for varmint hunting, when younger.

I got rid of mine and got a 6mm Rem heavy-barreled 700 Varmint. It was much better, but too heavy to carry all day. You may want to look into the .243 Win as a better long-range varmint cartridge. Mine are very accurate and I like the extra power and wind-bucking 6mm bullets deliver.

Right now, Natchez and other mail-order companies are selling Leupold VX2s 3-9x scopes under $280. A great scope at a good price, but they're being slowly phased out. I have about six and won't buy anything else. JP

Back