Recommend pocket pistol...

Chefintc

Inactive
Hello folks,

Considering build quality, reliability and purpose, I’m interested in finding a “good gun for the money” that I can use for deep concealment or pocket carry. I have “larger” hands, so grip size is a bit of an issue on some pocket pistols. I may, at times, carry it in an OWB / IWB Holster.

I currently carry a S&W Shield in .45, in a Crossbreed rig. I like it as a main gun, but am looking for a backup that is smaller and even easier to conceal.

I’m looking for some quality input from folks that regularly carry such a gun...

Thanks!

S&W Airweight revolver or original LCP.

But with big hands, you may find anything you can easily carry in your pocket to be a problem.

First off, Chefintc, welcome to the forum.

I have no problem carrying a Ruger LCRX in my pocket, with an added Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip. I wear a Large to Extra Large glove. Don't know if the Pachmayr would be big enough for you, but it is longer than the stock grip. Gives me plenty to grasp and fits in my pocket with no trouble.

Another vote for the LCP w/ pinky extension, or a glock 42. If you have bigger pockets, a glock 43 or beretta nano are worth a look.

It all depends on what caliber you are looking for and what expectations you have.

For pocket carry and ease of concealment, I find that the Ruger LCP works very well for me.

I've pocket carried a LCP for about 10 years now. Crimson trace laser (first gen LCP
sights are worthless). Alabama Holster company Kydex pocket holster. It's the
one gun that's with me every day, all day. Darned thing looks like it's been dragged down 10 miles of gravel road----but it has been 100% reliable.

a centennial J frame comes out of the front pocket easier than any other gun of its size that I've tried. however, you haven't told us your body size and preferred pants style because those play a major role in what actually works as a concealed pocket gun and what looks like the Gideon's Bible in your pocket. big hands don't usually do well with small guns like the Seecamp or even the LCP, so I advise you to journey to your local gun shop and have a feel for yourself.

I always have a P3AT in my pocket even when carrying another primary gun. Not pretty or easy to shoot well, but mine has been flawless over the last 15 years although it doesn't have a ton of rounds through it. It disappears easily in my normal size pockets.

I'm partial to the LCP. Light, compact and carries easy in an ankle rig or (Now that I've managed to drop 112 pounds and can fit back in a pari of regular pants instead of sweats) - -my pants pocket...

I'm partial to the LCP. Light, compact and carries easy in an ankle rig or (Now that I've managed to drop 112 pounds and can fit back in a pari of regular pants instead of sweats) - -my pants pocket...
I just have to say congrats on that sort of weight loss. that's phenomenal.

Ruger EC 9mm is what I use for pocket carry. I have a Shield in 9mm that I carry in an Alien IWB holster when I have my shirt out. Tucked in, I carry the Ruger in a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

My go to pocket recommendations are usually a Kahr CM9 and a J frame. Because of your large hand and familiarity with the round, maybe the CM45 is a good idea.

For J frames, don't discount them because the stock grips are the small "boot grip" style. You can get grips of any size / material / shape. I have a 2 fingered grip currently installed because.... it's meant for my pocket. And because that's how my crimson trace grips were made. But you can easily find grips meant for a full fist.

LCP seems to be the most popular of the true pocket pistols. I have a Sig P238 that I like a lot. Your hand size could be a problem on either of those. Glock 42 comes to mind, but it doesn't fit everyone's pockets.

Kahr P380 in a wallet holster. Holster came from "Uncle George's Wallet Holsters". Best combo I have found that allows me to carry regardless of what I am wearing: shorts, jeans, slacks.........

I'll say congrats on the weight loss as well. I had to drop pounds after being diagnosed with Diabetes, but only cut 40.

Had an LCP for a long time. Easy to carry, but after I broke down and bought a P238, that was it. Sold the LCP.

I've spent well over 1000 days with a Ruger LCR in a pocket holster. I have large hands and the LCR grip is very comfortable. I don't know if that is small enough but here is something I learned through trial and error. Semi-automatics tend to have a harder L-shape that makes it hard to carry and draw anything bigger than a .380. The more curved profile of a hammerless pocket revolver allows for easier carry and draw from a pocket holster.

Excluding rimfire, the LCR can be had in .38 special, .357 magnum, 9mm (with moon clips), and .327 Federal. I've found .357 magnum to be a tad punishing in that light of a firearm. With the right ammo, .327 Federal feels more like .38 +p to shoot but does noticeably more damage to water jugs. With .327 Federal, you also get six shots.

a centennial J frame comes out of the front pocket easier than any other gun of its size that I've tried. however, you haven't told us your body size and preferred pants style because those play a major role in what actually works as a concealed pocket gun and what looks like the Gideon's Bible in your pocket. big hands don't usually do well with small guns like the Seecamp or even the LCP, so I advise you to journey to your local gun shop and have a feel for yourself.
Good point...

6’ 230lbs.

Generally wear comfortable jeans/slacks or chef pants with a gun belt.

Most pockets are fairly ample, or I won’t buy the pants...lol

Tucked in tee shirt with loose fitting botton down or sweatshirt, depending on weather.

Back