Recommend bedding compound?

The thread is old but Google pulls it in quickly upon searching for bedding compounds. To my suprise very little is understood about the what or why of glass bedding. This is a technical issue, and rather than patronize those without technical resources, I'd rather leave some info for the next guy, as I'm sure this technology is basically unchanged since 2 years ago.

uwmac,you are a new member.Welcome!!

Sometimes,thread "necromancy" is discouraged.It does happen that folks dig up old threads when there is not much merit to them.

And,I did notice it was a resurrected thread.2014.I let that go,as you had a job to do,and what was good in 2014 is good today,as you said.No problem.

It seldom fails that when some members notice it is an old thread,they will point out it is an old thread.

If its an old thread about "Hey,I got a bore snake stuck in mt barrel and it broke,and no one has heard from the guy in two years...well,yeah,let it rest in peace.He probably does not need suggestions.

You did fine.Good luck with your bed job.Don't forget release agent!!! Fill any undercuts I found sculptures pattern wax to be ideal.

"Actually Devcon shrinks so little that I repaired an axle bearing seat with it. I bought a Bronco that had a 'repaired' rear-end, and what they did was put a bearing race in a wallowed out housing. After it went out, I disassembled it, packed the wallowed seat with Devcon, placed the race in that, re-assembled it, then let it set and cure. It ran for another 50,000 miles, until I sold it."

Next time you do that, try one of the LocTite Bearing Mount products. They make several types depending on how well the bearing fits, temperature, etc.

Thee are thousands of one and two part adhesives on the market. Chances are some company has a product designed for your EXACT application. Over the years I've found that using the correct product works best.

Hint to anyone wanting to bed a stock: Avoid products that come in two little tubes available in the "Misc. Household" section of your local supermarket, or any product which takes less than several hours to cure. Devcon 10110 is hard to beat for bedding stocks. This is NOT the same Devcon product available in two tubes in a bubble pack at your local Quick Mart.

Hey thanks!

With a background in engineering and composites, I hate to be stingy with knowledge. I was creeping around the forums to see if anyone had uncovered stuff any better than the old stand bys. Although it works great, no argument there are way better fillers available than steel dust/shavings. Brownells doesn't manufacture acraglass or the gel. Some of the composites sites online have very comparable(if not exactly the same)products in larger quantities for a fraction of the price per unit. If it's for a wooden boat or a carbon fiber mold somehow it gets priced lower than when it's for a hunting rifle.

Ohhhh one last thought. Check out a product called Snow Seal comes in a little tub at the shoe store or WalMart. Best release agent available!! One tub is a lifetime supply.

Silicone and beeswax.I used to put it on my boots.I have not tried it as a release.
If it works for you,great!!.

Something to consider.With all the chemistry of two part catylization,different molecules are meeting and dancing and going through changes.

It CAN happen that introducing a third molecule...can "cut in" on the dance.

Sometimes introducing silicone can mess up the cure on the surface.You get a soft and sticky.

I have not had Johnson paste wax fail me yet.Or the PVA Brownells includes.
I'm sure other things work,but beware stunting the cure out of the resin in contact

No real way to avoid some chemistry with the release agent regardless of what the make up. The goal is to use the minimum amount (mass and volume)possible to prevent bonding between the stock and metal components. I have used lots of stuff including riteous mold release agent geared for making large composite molds/plugs. Snow seal was an accident I ran across one day when I spilled the acraglass release agent by accident. Works best of anything I've ever tried

I like green box Acraglass GEL. The red box Acraglass is for mending cracked stocks and is too thin for easy bedding use. The GEL is thick enough to be easy to work with, sets up slowly and produces great results.

I've had excellent results with Johnson's Paste Wax as a release agent. I've also heard many positive feedbacks about Kiwi Neutral shoe polish and it has the advantage of being inexpensive and available everywhere.

Why release agents? I shot in a national benchrest match in Knoxville in the mid 70"s and McMillian showed up with a "glued" action and did very well.

I am trying to build 5 or 6 rifles and go hunting in a month or two.

Last night I was working on the minimum cost rifle and glass bedded the recoil lug and then later the same day, the rear pillar and the spacer under the front recoil lug that touches the bottom metal.

I came up with a way of steel bedding Mausers so that the bottom of the recoil lug is pinching steel that abuts the lug in the rear and reacts to the front action screw.

Last night it was a $45 mass sporterized Arisaka with Springfield barrel. I have $3 rings from EBay and a $17 bipod from Amazon.

Attachments

• Recoil lug, spacer, and rear pillar for 308 Arisaka b 8-19-2016.jpg
    Recoil lug, spacer, and rear pillar for 308 Arisaka b 8-19-2016.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Recoil lug for 308 Arisaka 8-19-2016.jpg
    Recoil lug for 308 Arisaka 8-19-2016.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 40
  • rear pillar for 308 Arisaka b8-19-2016.jpg
    rear pillar for 308 Arisaka b8-19-2016.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 39
The first rifle is ready to go. The sporterizers made it a 300Sav. I reamed it out to 308.

The cheek rest is a $6 Allen ammo carrier with 5 layers of packing foam under it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LC655Q/

The next concept rifle will be light weight. 6mmBR
Here is a pic of me drilling a hole in it.

Then there is a long range. 7mmRM

Then there is an expensive. 25-06 [We won't tell the wife about THAT idea.]

Then there is a nice factory rifle. 25-06

Maybe a wild card, maybe last year's best rifle, in case all these are failures.

Attachments

• 308 Arisaka 8-20-2016.jpg
    308 Arisaka 8-20-2016.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Rem 700 22-250 barrel coverted to lug pin hole driling fixture 8-19-2016.jpg
    Rem 700 22-250 barrel coverted to lug pin hole driling fixture 8-19-2016.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 250
Why release agents? I shot in a national benchrest match in Knoxville in the mid 70"s and McMillian showed up with a "glued" action and did very well.

It's one thing for a single shot bench rifle with the stock drilled so you can remove the trigger. It's not very practical for a sporter that requires occasional cleaning and servicing.

Back