Recommend ammo for Tikka T3 Lite in .223

The barrel is stamped 10".

I thought the website used to show three twists, 8, 10 and 12. It must be the 10 was dropped. It might still show three rates on some sako models.

Twist does matter and I believe that is understood by the fine builders of Finland. In anything gun related there tends to be sweet spots. And one solution seldom perfect for everybody.

Great Sticky on .223/5.56 twist rates

I don't have a dog in the fight over Tikka having a 1 in 10 twist rate or not.

It just reminded me of the sticky on here regarding the dilemma of what twist shoots what bullet weight best.

You can find it here:

I am certainly no expert on the subject but the info contained here help me decide on the twist rate to seek for my "evil black rifle purchase":) when I recently decided to enter the 21st century.:rolleyes:

P.S. Cabela's has an excellent selection of .223 rounds in multiple rates for you to try. Oh, and even if you don't enter the dark side of reloading, save your brass and someone will purchase them from you.

While saving your brass it is important not to mix mil spec brass with 223 brass. The mil brass has a primer crimp, requiring removal before you can reliably reprime them. If they are already mixed you will have to have tool to remove the crimps on all of them. Trying to reprime without removing the crimp can and will damage and break the repriming arm on a RCBS type press.

This may be for down the road and you can separate brass by type from now on. The mil brass also has a slightly different case capacity, so commercial brass mixed with mil brass will have different pressures and alter group consistency if you are looking for accuracy.

I appreciate the suggestions, guys. And I have some understanding of twist rates.

Bought this rifle to be a companion to my ARs. Figured the 2:20 twist rate would be just fine for light weight bullets. As mentioned above some Fiocchi Extrema cartridges are on the way. They have 50 grain Hornady VMax bullets. Looking forward to trying them out.

This is my "long range" rifle. 200 yards is about as long a range as I have access to without going to much extra effort. And I know 200 YARDS IS NOT LONG RANGE. So just humor me.

I've begun reading about reloading. Maybe a RL550B is in my future. Not going to rush decision. That's a big purchase. So tempting...

:)

Another factory load that can be found at reasonable cost is the Federal American Eagle Tipped Varmint which has a 50 gr bullet with a plastic tip. I have found it on sale for as little as $6.99 per box of 20 (although around $10 per box is more common). It has proven accurate in several AR's with 1 in 8" twist as well as a couple of 1 in 12" bolt guns. I too, like the Fiocchi Extrema line with the 40 and 50 gr V-Max bullets.

The correct answer is to start reloading but if you want to stick with factory ammo, just get a box of everything available and try it out. You never know what your rifle might like. Years ago, before I started reloading, I used to shoot that cheap white box Winchester USA stuff in my 22-250 and at 100 yards, you could cover a 40 round group with a dime.

Over the last week I bought all the equipment to start reloading. :D

I'm wet tumbling my first batch of decapped brass right now. Seriously.

Congratulations :D

Sitting at the loading bench is not only productive but also a nice stress reliever.

Back