Recommend ammo for Tikka T3 Lite in .223

turtlehead

Looking for reasonably priced and accurate .223 ammo suggestions. Will be shooting paper at 200 yards just for fun and don't want to break the bank. My cheap AR ammo is not cutting it for accuracy. And I don't reload nor wish to.

Been using American Eagle and PMC Bronze.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Tikka uses a rifling twist rate of 1 turn in 12 inches. I would use bullet weights of 55 grains or less. 50, 52 or 53 grain bullets would probably do well.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that twist rate? I thought they were 1 in 8 or 1 in 9. Regardless, 50 or 55 gr loads should shoot fine. If super accuracy is desired, the OP needs to join us in the reloading addiction.

I've never found any military style .223 ammo that was very accurate at all. Most of it is of no better in quality than the rifles that they tend to be fired through.

Try some Federal, Hornady, Remington or even Winchester for your Tikka - some of the regular factory stuff.

There is premium ammunition out there too, it is all at a premium price though.

You'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. Cost of it means nothing.
Tikka .223 Lite's come in 1 in 8 or 12. No 10. There is a lot of 1 in 10 discussion on assorted forums, but not on Tikka's site.

Fiocchi makes a brass cased ammo that is loaded with 50gr Hornady V-Max bullets. Its pretty cheap too I'd try those. But if you are after super accuracy that the Tikka is capable of then join myself and many others to the dark side of reloading.

Last edited:
Dammit people...

OK. Just for giggles. How much would it cost me to get set up to load just 120 rounds of .223 each month?

Reloading... The cost varies according to what equipment you use.

For 120 rounds a month, the classic Lee Loader would do. It costs around twenty something bucks. They have them on Ebay, Amazon, etc.. A plastic-faced hammer, or a cheap arbor press from Harbor Freight is required.

Most 223 loads use 25 or so grains of powder, there are 1000 grains in a one pound can that costs around 35 bucks.

Primers are not very expensive.

For a good bullet that can be had cheap, look at Midway for the Hornady 55 grn FMJ BT bullets. - I buy them in bulk to save more.

Brass you already have, but in a pinch, you can usually find once-fired brass at the range, laying around.

With more expensive equipment you can do more, of course. - I have had very good results though in the past, using a Lee Loader.

Lee makes a hand-held press that uses regular reloading dies. At around 50 bucks, it is the cheapest press on the market, but it still does a very good job.

I use a bench-mounted RCBS press that came in a kit with a powder scale and several other tools. - It all cost me 250 bucks or so, several years ago.

If I had to do it again, I would use Lee products only. They make a great bench-mounted press. The Lee case trimmer is inexpensive and easy to use. I have used several brands of dies and like the Lee dies best.

- But that's just me. - I think you get the best stuff for the money from Lee.

Best loads on the web are at powder company web-sites. I use the Hodgedon web site a lot, and the Ramshot/Accurate Arms site too.

Buying a reloading manual or two is best, but there again is another wad of cash to spend. I would recommend buying one manual at least, as they contain detailed info about reloading that will explain the hows and whys of everything.

My preference if I had just one would be the Hornady manual, because I tend to use their bullets most often.

Last edited:
Hey Turtlehead, I have a T3 lite in 223 with a 10" twist also, I load my own and I can shoot 3 shot 1 hole groups at 100 yds using 50 gr vmax bullets. I wont say I can do it "all day long" but that little rifle shoots great. I would suggest trying a few different manufacturers and maybe some 55's beside the 50 and I think you will do just fine. If you do start reloading and need a good load to start with, just ask..

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

I ordered some of the Fiocchi 50 grain ammo. The price was reasonable.

And now to start reading about reloading... :)

I too find it hard to understand why some cant believe what you say is stamped on your barrel as is stamped on my barrel also.

The twist rate matters, as it determines which bullet weights the gun is most likely to shoot well.

Faster twists will shoot anything, but will shoot the heavier bullets best. Too fast a twist on a light bullet, and you have to reduce velocity severely to prevent the bullet from coming apart in mid-air, prior to reaching the target.

Slower twist will not shoot heavier bullets well at all, but will do a superior job with lighter bullets, at the highest velocities.

As is always the case, knowledgeable shooters will match the gun to the intended use.

It is that simple.

ballisti We understand the principle behind twist rates and bullet weights, what turtlehead and I find it hard to understand that even though we both have Tikka lite rifles with a 10" stamped right on the barrel that there are those that are arguing that Tikka didnt make a 10" twist 223

G'day turtlehead, Tikka market their own ammo over here and I'm sure you could get it in the states. I have a left handed stainless varmint in .308 and the Tikka rounds are spot on. Hope this helps. cheers.

Whats stamped in the barrel most/some/all? Tikas T3s have the twist stamped on the breech end of the barrel.Take the bolt out shine a light in see what stamped there just to be sure someone didn't make a mistake on the rollmark.I'am not saying they are not 1 in 10 doesn't matter to me.

OK. You got me. It's actually not a 1 in 10. It's a 1 in 8. Or a 12. Take your pick. I don't care.

You know there's this thing called the internet... And if you want to look something up... This is not some big secret.

:D

Back