Recommend a whitetail round for..

When I used my 7mm mag for deer hunting I always liked the Federal 160 grain Nosler partition. I probably had more DRT kills with that combo than any other rifle/bullet I ever used.

I shot a 7 mag exclusively for several years (when I was younger and more resilient) using handloaded Hornady 139 BTSP. It was deadly on deer and coyote AND very destructive on the meat.
If I were picking over the counter ammo now, I'd go with the Remington Corelokt or Federal GameKing. I was in the local Wallie yesterday and those were the best stocked and lowest priced 7 mags on their shelf. Having used 140 grain Ballistic Tips in 7x57 and 7mm08, I'd say those(out of a 7mag) would definitely ruin a lot of meat. I'm not a fan of WW Power Points and would not recommend those except as a last resort.

+1 on staying with a heavier bullet. Since the range will not be that far, it is not as though you need an ultra fast and flat shooting round. I have a 7mm mag, and a few years ago, I bought some Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. BIG MISTAKE. Oh it killed a deer alright. DRT. But, it ruined the whole neck. I usually shoot for the neck for a good clean kill. The exit pretty much took away the neck. I went and got some heavier ammo right away!

I to bought my 7mag with hopes of heading west to hunt elk. I am over 50 now with health issues and hated the recoil and meat devastation caused by the 7mm. All of my MN and WI deer in the last 15 years have been less than 50 yards due to the terrain I hunt in. I sold the 7mm and bought 2 rifles I love to shoot at the range and are less destructive on the deer. I bought a 7mm-08 just love shooting it at the range and have started reloading and target shooting. It is very good long range gun with mild recoil and can handle anything but Alaskan Brown Bear with the proper bullet without the recoil. Plus I am shooting it regularly. Dreaded sighting in the 7mag. The other rifle Is a lever 30/30 with peep sights. at 50 yards or less it has been killing whitetails and black bears for over a century. Plus it is also fun to shoot and I look forward to range days. If you like the 7mag good for you is it overkill for whitetails maybe in my opinion. That is what is great about our country if you like magnums go for it if you don't that is also great just have a safe enjoyable hunt and take a kid with you.

Mwal

Thanks

Thank you all for the replies. We seem to have covered two topics here and I want to apologize for butting into the OP. Some good advice regarding 7mm mag ammo has been suggested, and I , in turn, came to see I really do not need a 7mm mag at all. For my needs, the 7mm-08 is a better choice. Especially after reading accounts of how much power the mag has. I get the idea that I would ruin or spoil a deer instead of harvesting it within the area I hunt.

i have the same model rifle just chambered in 30-06 i get my best groups with winchester 150 gr powerpoints. every deer i ever shot with it fell in its tracks. im not a big believer in buyin the hottest top of the line ballistic tips for deer huntin, its just overkill, it all boils down to shot placement shoot em in the neck and they hit the ground dead.

Back