Recommend a bullet to me for 6.5 deer/antelope

std7mag. I use the Accubonds in 7mm on up and they are fantastic. In the 6mm and 6.5mm, moving fast in close, they have not stayed together on bone. Maybe I was unlucky. I am not convinced a great bullet in one diameter means it will be great in all the others.

Anybody use the Berger VLD hunting or match bullets on game? I used the 190gr match 308 bullet at 2950 FPS on an Antelope at 220 yds. It was a spine shot so hard to judge...

MarkCO,
Good enough for me. Was just wondering.

Nathan,
Yes. I use them in 7mm-08AI, 250Savage, 257 Roberts, and the 16igr in my Rem Mag.
Thinking about using the 140gr in my new to me 280 Rem.
A lot of people don't like them due to "weight retention".
I've been amazed at the amount of internal damage they do, even without an exit hole.
Tracking thus far has been within 30 yards. And the amount of blood doesn't make it especially hard.
Plus i'll wait for that perfect shot. I'm not gonna shoot a deer in the a$$ and then complain the bullet didn't go the whole way through it.

Last edited:
I've tested regular Accubonds on deer, they do what they intended to do with shot placement.
Also have taken deer with ABLR in .270 and it did as intended, 80 yds, right behind shoulder and pass through leaving a nickle size exit, deer did run 40 yds but she was dead when that bullet hit her, it was the 150 grn ABLR.
I've taken plenty with regular Btips also and they will get job done.
I don't have a Swede right now but planning to, and 130 grn Accubonds at 2800 should be the ticket for any thin skinned game around..

@std7mag, which bullet are you talking about?

If you can imagine, I wasn’t taking a butt shot....still, bullets need to penetrate bone....that was my point.

Barnes TTSX penetrate, expand and hold together like nothing else I’ve ever seen.

Scenarios almost identical to yours, large whitetail buck hit at sharp angle in rear hip.... Barnes 80gr TTSX in .243Win, MV ~3,500fps, distance less than 30 yards. The bullet destroyed the rear hip and penetrated almost the full length of the deer, stopping just inside the opposite front shoulder. That was darn near 4ft of penetration... deer still traveled a pretty good distance and was still alive when found ~30 minutes later.

When a shot like that happens, there’s no bullet going guarantee rapid kill unless you happen to hit the femoral artery, in which case anything that makes a hole will kill in seconds.

Back