Recomendations for a good 9mm

I got the Ruger P97 and love it! I want to get its 9mm predicessor the P95. Stainless with black polymer frame under $400. DAO or decocker. Best bang for the buck IMO.

Shok

I also like the CZ pistols - especially the alloy-framed compact PCR model. I have some high (really, normal) capacity CZ magazines that I bought reasonably before they were banned from sale here in California. As a result, my PCR is a 14-shooter (or a 16-shooter with the full-sized mags that are cheaper, but stick about 1/2" out the bottom of the grip).

Unfortunately, some of the handguns recommended are no longer available in CA unless you can locate a private individual who wants to sell one to you - dealers can no longer sell untested handguns - even used ones - in the state.

Doug

Try Sig Sauer

Easy, Sig P228 or P229 in 9mm because they're very similar to the HK compacts.

I think you'll like the quality much like your HK.
Its just a tad bit larger than your HK USP/C
Its also a DA/SA like your HK (Easier transition)
Grip angle and location of barrel (higher than Glocks and 1911s) is very similar to HK USP/c.
Also, most importantly for you, I think they're still available with stainless slides (though not as shiny, which is a good thing in defense situations)

Sig have built their reputation on being reliable accurate pistols with excellent DA/SA triggers. Own one and find out for yourself.

Problem with the Sigs though.
I live in CA so P229 9mm is considered ban so far. The only P229 allowed for sail is the .40.
The P228 is not avail to poor civilians. Only to LEO and Military.

Beleive me, if I want a .40, I will look at the P229

Hey,
Just popped in my head. No one mentioned about the Beretta Cougars. The Mini Cougar 8009? 10 rds, similar size to Glock 19, DASA, any comments on that one?

Can`t beat Ruger`s P-95. Reasonable (I paid $310 blue), 3 dot sights, accurate, lightweight, easy to disassemble, dependable, feeds and digests any kind of ammo I put in it. What more could you want?

I carry a S&W 5906 on duty and have shot over 3500 rounds through it without a single malfunction. I like it soo much I bought a S&W 6906 for off duty carry. You can get one pretty cheap now-adays!

Greg

sig does have several other options for the 9mm in other sizes that as far as I am aware are ok for California. I know several people who carry the compact size. they function just as well as anything else and who can argue with ten rounds of 9mm, the ability to change to 40 and 357 sig, and the overal sleek style and handling of the 229?

I like the Browning High Power line, small grip size
13 round mags, excellent accuracy, excellent balance.
Have several in 9MM & 40 S&W.

I love my Ruger P95. I have put hundereds of rounds of ammo with out jam or malfunction. I love my pistol. It very accurate, reliable, and at a great price. I highly recommend a Ruger P95. It is a great pistol.

Good 9mm???...

Why is the single stack 9mm so abused??? the Sig p225 is probably the finest in the SIG line-up and I picked up mine for 450.00!!!!

DO NOT buy into the "...its gotta be hi-cap if its 9mm..." ideology. It simply does not make sence!!!

Kahr makes a great weapon in the K9, all of Rugers offerings are top notch, Berretta and Taurus are good guns but somewhat large in the grip, SIG 228 is a great gun if you need a double stack 9mm.

God there must be hundreds of choices, go shoot everything you can and make up you mind based on that...

Here's the updated list for gun approved for use in the PROK: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/certlist.htm

For a good compact 9mm, I'd go with a Kahr K9 or one of the SIG's (229, 225, 228, 239).
I'm really impressed with the K9 that I've had for a couple of years. It is very accurate, 100% reliable, and well made. The DAO trigger pull is a little longer than most, but it is smooth as glass right out of the box.
I've got a SIG P226 which is my favorite gun. Any of the smaller guns in the SIG line-up are also excellent. Impossible to go wrong with any one of them.

While I am no expert on any account, I would say try out a CZ. I have a 75B. I realize it is not a compact model.
what I am saying is it is a fine, reliable and accurate pistol. It is also reasonalbly priced. These same qualities should be transferred over to their compact models.

I highly recommend the SIG 225, assuming you can find one and it can pass whatever criteria the state of California has seen fit to establish.

Relatively compact, light, excellent ergonomics, accurate, reliable and a 9 round capacity (with one in chamber)... what more could you ask for? If you can find one, excellent buys with K-Kote and Sig Lite night sights are out their for a very reasonable price.

Mike

I was looking for something small and light in a 9mm for CCW. I fell in love with the Colt Pocket Nine. 9mm on a 380 frame 17 ounces and all metal. I am going to shoot it Saturday for the first time. I have heard about the hard trigger pull (12 lbs) but that does not concern me for a CCW pistol.

Back