Recomendations for a good 9mm

HKUSP45C

Hi
About a month ago, my girlfriend was looking around for 9mm in a compact size so we began our research. I did most of the research and asking around. In the process of doing all this, I began itching to get a 9mm for myself as well. I live in CA so my choices are limited. My girlfriend finally went for the USP9C so now its just me looking for one. I already have a USP9C ss myself but because HK will not make any SS models anymore, I love it too much to shoot it. Now, I am looking to buy a 9mm that is a good weekend shooter to replace the USP9C. I dont want to get another USP9 in black because its kinda dull to do so. So, my options are:

Walther P99, Problem: too many issues with frame cracks, slide locking prematurely, polymer or plastic guide rod, gives me second thoughts.

Beretta Elite 2, Problem: too big, dont like the non 3 dot sightes, and pricey ($750 and up)

Beretta Elite, Problem: too big,

Glock 19 seems to be a good candidate but the grip angle is kind of different than my house gun, (usp45c), so I don't want to have to get used to swtiching back and forth with the grip.

What else? I seem to be in a SOL situation here until I can find a solution. I really like the P99 though, feels good, looks good, ..but issues gets me concerned.

Any good suggestions? Rugers sound cool but they are so ugly. Kinda like, would you buy a fast and reliable car even if it looked like a rust bucket pinto?
(dont mean to offend any pinto drivers out there but that car in my opinion is not that great looking)

Hmm, how about a P239? But 8 rounder?

Hello. Since you mention $750 being a bit high, you might look around for the now-discontinued-but-still-a-good-compact SIG-Sauer P225. These are single-stack magazine pistols, but have a small grip and shoot well; I'm not even sure of price, but I suspect clean used ones or, perhaps even NIB could be had for less than %750.

If you like SA autopistols, I'd look for a BHP.

I'm not sure if you can get them in your state, but the CZ line of handguns has many followers, including me.

Best.

Try a Kel-Tec 9mm

small
light
11 round capacity
plenty of inexpensive add-on's
great customer service
very customize-able

its a versitile weapon. plus it looks cool. (at least i think so)

Try one on for size. you may like it. I love mine!

Tim : )

IMHO Glock is bar none the finest pistol ever concieved or manufactured when considering overall durability/reliability/easy of maintenance/ease of use/longevity. If you don't like it, you don't like it and so be it. Thats what makes horse races. But it will get my vote every time.

With regard to the Kel-Tec P-11:

Not unless the shooter is experienced with handguns and can handle the P-11's long, DAO trigger. Its a great gun, but a hard gun to shoot well and will be frustrating for some shooters.

You said compact...

I'd look at a Glock 19 (not quite compact, but smaller, very accurate and very reliabile, and available at around $400 for factory refurbished models.)

I'd also consider the CZ-75 PCR or CZ-75 Compact. Very nice guns; great out-of-the-box triggers and accuracy, and vey reasonably priced.

The full size CZ-75B is an exceptional gun.

The Ruger P-95 is an outstanding gun, too, and very reasonably priced. They look bulky, but if you check measurements, you'll see that they are much smaller than they appear -- and right in there with Glocks, H&Ks, etc.

The other choice, a little more pricey, is the SIG P-239. I had one, and it was an excellent gun, but the grip was just a little too small for my hand.

Of the guns listed above, I'd be torn between the Glock 19 and the full-size CZ-75B. (I had trigger job done to my CZ-75B, and it would shoot with any gun up to double its price.)

Agree on CZ line

The CZ-75 PCR (alloy frame) or Compact (all steel) seem to be a good choice. I have a full size CZ-75B, but that sounds too big for your needs as it is a full size military pistol. The PCR and Compact versions hold a full 10 rounds, but are shorter and smaller than the full size version. Grip feel and angle are great. As good or better than the BHP. Good luck!

Pilot

I extremely happy with my Kahr K9. All steel, sturdy as a tank, very nice fit and finish, smooth trigger, and the DAO operation is uncomplicated. Also very accurate and easy to shoot recoil-wise.

It's a bit heavy compared to the polymer compacts, but no heavier than a full size with an alloy frame and a lot easier to conceal if that's why you want the compact.

It also feeds all of the factory loads I've put in it, but it doesn't like my handloads.

By the way, if you choose the P99, check out CDNN investments at 1-800-588-9500. They are advertising them at $400 for either the black or stainless slide on a green frame in either 9mm or 40 S&W(or 40 Auto to be more patriotically correct).

Their web site is http://www.cdnninvestments.com, and you can download their current catalog with these ads from there, but they don't advertise firearms on that site.

Ruger, it goes bang every time. I have put over 8,000 rounds through mine in the last year, the only time it failed to fire was when I put the recoil spring in backwards. My P89 cost less than 300.00 NIB and will shoot ammo that my friends CZ chokes on.

Glock does indeed describe the 19 as "compact"
because they have a "subcompact" size (the 26
in 9 mm, 27 in .40) but the subcompact is
probably more what you want.

It is still thick, but more concealable than the
19. It is amazingly accurate for such a little
gun. I thought the short grips would make it
hard to shoot, but they don't. You don't really
need the grip extensions everyone seems to think
are necessary.

I second what Stephen A. Camp said. The P-225, CZ-75, Browning Hi-Power and I would add the HK P7M8 are all fine choices. Good luck in your search.

JJCII

Rugers are good guns, i dont shoot one of their auto's, but i do shoot some of their SA revolvers, and a friend shoots one of their auto's. never heard him report a problem with it.

you said the beretta elite was to big for your tastes or i would suggest a taurus pt92.
But you might want to look into taurus pistols.

No dogs in the recommendations you've received so far. I'd like to throw the Beretta Compact Carry in for consideration. Looks just like its big brother, (I'm a sucker for Beretta's style), will accept 13 round mags, and is available in either the Brunitron or Inox finish.
I have the Brunitron version and the only complaint was the heavy double action trigger pull. A quick trip to the gunsmith and the double action though long is light and smooth and the single action is outstanding. It is very accurate and has digested everything put through it with no problems or FTF.
Take Care.

Back