Recoil spring question.

^I have read exactly that before, but only rarely does someone post it (seems to start a storm of discussion...) and I also believe that having too HEAVY a recoil spring is hard on the handgun in the other, forward direction.

That's the recoil springs primary job but that's not to say it does not resist rearward movement also.

A worn out spring is not going to assist in that regard as well as a fresh one.
In such cases the slide is going to hit it's full rearward movement with more momentum then usual.

I change the springs in the 1911 about 1500 rounds, roughly.
I'll send you my address. I'll gladly take those changed out springs off your hands:rolleyes:

Damned if I'm not going into the gun spring business
I'm with you Bill

What do you do with the spring that you have replaced?

Us gun guys are often frugal by nature, it seems out of character for me to just throw out something that seems like a useful item. But it is probably the best answer.

To answer the question, why in the hell would you keep a "supposedly bad spring" that you changed out:confused:????? You changed it because its out lived its usefulness.
Guess I'll go and change "all the bad used springs" in my 1911's and waste more money and make the spring maker happy:eek:

I also believe that having too HEAVY a recoil spring is hard on the handgun in the other, forward direction.
Some 1911 owners use recoil springs on 5" .45 versions that are as light as 12 lbs for softer shooting.
But it does depend on the ammo, too.
To add to the confusion the hammer/main spring and the recoil spring act in unison and that relationship must be considered.
There's a lot to recommend staying with stock components, without really knowing what's going on.
There's quite a lot of variety in what is considered stock, too.
The last recoil springs I bought were advertised to be "original spec".
One was 16 lb and another was 18 lb as measured on my trusty spring checker tool.
Shows to go ya'.

To answer the question, why in the hell would you keep a "supposedly bad spring" that you changed out:confused:????? You changed it because its out lived its usefulness.
Guess I'll go and change "all the bad used springs" in my 1911's and waste more money and make the spring maker happy:eek:
Couple reasons

1. Never know when a worn spring is better then no spring
2. Can compare past springs
3. The spring maybe useful in other projects, I keep all springs gun or otherwise unless they're rusty, broken, etc.
If the spring was originally say 12lb, and is now shorter and only 7lb, it could still be useful elsewhere.
4. Im a pack rat, that's why :p

It's not like they take up much room in the parts bin.

Back