Recoil Difference Between Different Grains?

I know from decades of family experience that an '06 will kill Bambi at 400 to500 yards with 150-grain bullets. The deal isn't about the cartridge, necessarily; it's more about knowing the distance, the trajectory and figuring the wind.

I'm not an elk hunter, but I think I'd do okay with my '06 and 180-grain bullets. The gun oughta do just fine. The critical part is my own skill.

If I were you, based on what you've said, id get the .30-06...cheaper and more abundant ammo, ditto for brass if you ever get into reloading, more appropriate in a sporter weight (and barrel length) rifle. If, as a hunter, you can only have 3 long guns for bare bones practicality and utility they would be a .22 lr, a 12 guage shotgun, and a .30-06 rifle. A plethora of possible choices available in those chamberings but with these 3 you can hunt everything there is to hunt in North America with success (though of course a bigger gun might be desirable for huge bears, a flatter shooter might be more desirable for open country, a more specialized round for varminting, an so on...history has proven that if required, the old .30-06 truly does it all)

Bart's question is key

What's the furthest in inches you'll accept missing your point of aim on a bull elk at 600 yards?

On a white tail deer, the sweetspot is a football-shaped zone between the shoulders, about 8 inches tall and about 4 inches wide. A hit in that zone will get one or both lungs, and hit either the heart or the major vessels leading to it.

On an elk it is the same, but the zone is a bit bigger... probably 10 to 12 inches high and 6 inches wide.

At 500 yards you had better be capable of shooting consistantly at 1 MOA to take that shot on an elk. From a good rest, I can shoot at 1 MOA sometimes, but not other times, so I would not take that shot. I am just not consistent enough.

For me personally, on white tail deer, I would take a standing off-hand shot out to 50 yards... a kneeling or sitting shot out to 100 yards, and a prone or supported shot out to 200 yards... that is it. I do not have the confidence to take a shot past 200 yards... and I shoot a lot.

500 + yards on game is a really long shot.

Yea I am thinking a 30-06 would be a good way to go and really versatile. The other option is the 300 WM with a muzzle brake.

Just before last deer season here in Texas, crossed paths with one of the board of directors of our private shooting range who was checking the zero of the scope on his deer rifle, a 7mm-08. IN our brief chat, he mentioned that he'd finally convinced himself he didn't need to shoot his 300 Win Mag to kill a deer, that the much milder recoiling 7mm-08 did just fine. I had to laugh and agree with him.

Back