recoil difference between 223 and 308 ?

You might want to consider a Savage 10 FCP-K in .223 or .308, although I would recommend a .223 if your shoulder is really weak.

Both of the -K models have a muzzle brake that really works to keep the barrel climb under control. It also might reduce recoil a bit also.
You actually can see the bullet hit the target with the .223 and be ready immediately for a follow up shot.

Both these Law Enforcement models have a great stock recoil pad that eliminates any real shock, but you still can't remove all the recoil motion that you would have with a .308. The rifle has got to move backward and if you have a weak shoulder the extra .308 recoil might cause some pain if you are sensitive to motion.

My shooting buddy is recovering from rotator cuff surgery on his shoulder and is also concerned about recoil. He is shooting the Savage 10 FCP-K in .223 and says the recoil doesn't bother him at all. He is still having problems with range of motion and can't shoot at the range for more than a few hours because his shoulder doesn't really like the position around the stock yet, but he has no problems with recoil.

I also have a CZ 527 in .223 with the Kevlar stock and Varmint barrel.
It also has almost no recoil. It would be a good choice as well.
However, the Savage FCP-K with the combination of a really big butt pad and the muzzle brake has even less. Both shoot with about the same accuracy and have the same 1:9 twist. They both average under 0.46 inches with their 10 favorite hand loads. The Savage shot some of the factory ammo better than the CZ.

The Savage was less expensive (by about $ 150) and you can order it at Dick's and still get a good price with delivery in less than a week.

Once again I ask-do you belong to or live near a gun club??

Reason-there are many shooters w/ 308s, perhaps a friend or friend of a friend and surely a gun club member has a couple in the safe. Same for the 243 that has been proposed. . Most any shooter would let you 'try' their gun and see how you do with it.. I have done that w/ handguns several times.

If you reload you can down load any published load to fit your needs, esp for plinking.

You need a gas gun to reduce felt recoil with a .308. Something like a AR-10 with a A2 stock and a heavy buffer from Slash (http://www.heavybuffers.com/). He has some custom buffer/spring compinations that really tame the recoil in this platform.

My AR-10 is fairly heavy with the PRS/scope/bi-pod/mono-pod, and has a heavy buffer. The felt recoil is just slightly higher than a 5.56 AR carbine.

Once again I ask-do you belong to or live near a gun club??

Reason-there are many shooters w/ 308s, perhaps a friend or friend of a friend and surely a gun club member has a couple in the safe. Same for the 243 that has been proposed. . Most any shooter would let you 'try' their gun and see how you do with it.. I have done that w/ handguns several times.

If you reload you can down load any published load to fit your needs, esp for plinking.

Yes I do belong to a gun club and I met a couple guys at the range yesterday and got to talking to them. The one guy has a 243 and a we are going to meet Thursday and he would definitely allow me to shoot it. I will see how the recoils is for me.
I am going to stay with Clifford and Kraig's advice and stay with 243, I just think the 308 will be too much for my injured shoulder.

I think a 243 would be a good choice for you. As I grew up hunting most hunters of my day considered a 243 too small for deer and a 30-06 or 270 to be a good middle of the road chambering. I made my gun buying choices based on that advice. The only thing keeping me from buyig a 243 is that I already own too many guns as is and I like what I have. Nothing at all wrong with the round as a target or hunting round.

My gun collection today centers around 308 and 30-06, but as I've gotten wiser and older I've come to understand that a 243, or 260, (especially with todays better bullets) are really the middle ground in big game hunting cartridges. My 308 and 30-06 are best used on the largest North American game and with the modern bullets a 223 is on the low end, but is plenty adequate for deer at short to medium range.

I am going to stay with Clifford and Kraig's advice and stay with 243

Sounds like good advice to follow. The .243 will handle most of the game out there, and it won't tear the smaller stuff apart like the larger calibers can. My step-dad has a Stevens 200 in .243 that is nice and easy on the shoulder - in fact, I like his so much I plan to pick up a .243 as my next rifle (assuming I can get the wife to approve it ;))

Back