Recoil: 44 Mag vs 30-3- Carbine

What do you want to do with the Rifle

The Marlin 336 stock seems to manage the recoil energy transfer better than the narrow Winchester 94 stocks

A 336 with a good recoil pad and a stock cut to the properly length of pull for you, would be easy on the shoulder.

If you are going to hunt deer with this rifle then get Hornady's 30-30 Win 160 gr FTX® LEVERevolution® ( yes I cut and pasted). With this load you have a 300 yard deer rifle

Just saying

The only issue is that they effectively change your stock length. I can see using one for sighting in at the bench then removing it to go hunting.

If you reload or not a pistol chambered lever gun will be more useful, but also more expensive. A .357 is a pretty sweet general purpose gun but getting hard to find.

I have shoot or owned both. My current center fire lever action is a Winchester XLT .30-30. I once owner a Browning replica of the Winchester M92 in .44M and the felt recoil was much worse in the .44M than the .30-30.
Why? If you read the stats of each round, the .30-30 should have a little more felt recoil but the curved metal buttplate on the Browning did beat my shoulder up more. If you go with a .44M, get one with a 'shotgun' stock as opposed to the cowboy style metal curved one.

My Wifey has had numerous shoulder surgeries over the years...
consequently, she uses a Padded Shotgun Vest and recoil pads go on Everything.
Pachmyer makes some darn fine ones...and there are other MFR's...tall guys don't mind slip-on's...they help with aiming for us gorilla's ;)

If yer a short guy or have short arms...a slip on may cause more problems that it can solve.

Probably the best way to go would be to call Marlin and order an OEM Marlin pad (screw-on) for an 1895-SBL,
that is a Darn Fine THICK pad...meant for a .45-70!! It'll muzzle yer Marlin 336 recoil quite nicely!!

Even though the same rough dimension of stock is used for both, you'll have to hand-fit it to your particular rifle,
as they send 'em out a bit oversized, so you simply take it to a belt sander and match it to your stock...read up on it first, as it takes a little skill.
Nobody makes one that just screws right on unless you get lucky...even then, individual stock variation would mean you'd still have to work it a bit!

My 1952 336RC has an OEM Brown pad...which I'll probably leave on until it wears out ;)

Last edited:
Back