rechambering?

I will assume JES is a shop who advertises rebore/rerifle as a service offered.

Have you thought about contacting JES and asking him what sort of job he wants to take on,and what it might cost?

You also might check with an outfit like Numrich. Its possible they would have a used lever gun factory barrel in 38-55. You might also Check with Starline...I think they are making .375 Win brass . You might stumble across a lever .375 Win.

I once bought a rough bbl,blank,cut it tapered octagon,and fitted it to a Browning 92.

I also re-stocked it from a blank. A levergun rebarrel includes some forend cap work.I reworked a Win 86 part. You have to hang the mag tube Its not all that hard,but it takes more time than a bolt gun

I'm not a lever gun mechanic.I did not change cartridges.You might study case dimensions.Lever guns are more complex than bolt guns. Feeding from a tube mag requires parts working together with the cartridge. Mag tube and follower diameter,cartridge stops,lifters,bolt face,extractors come to mind.

Finding a 38-55 might be easier.Try a Collector Gun Show,ArmsList,etc….or have fun browsing old gun stores.You might ask the Gun Shop owner. Not all rifles are on display,maybe.

Last edited:
375win in Marlin & Win are not that hard to come by and JES can knock out a 38/55 out
of 336 or 94 Win very reasonable. 38/55 can be made from blowing out 30/30 brass. It comes up a little short but not enough to make a difference. I used blow out 30/30 brass for
375w but only at 38/55 load levels. The 38/55 & 30/30 are the same brass, the 375w uses a heavier case.

No you can't turn a .307 Win into a .38-55. The .38-55 chamber would never clean up a .307 Win chamber, you cold reborn to a .356 Winchester or possibly a wildcat .375-307. The .307 is similar in dimensions to a .308 Win cartridge, the .38-55 is basically a straight walled .30-30 case.

Reboring or rebarreling to 38-55 is not difficult, you need to come up with a few hard-to-find parts, but not impossible. Then you have to start loading your own ammo. Again, not impossible, just inconvenient for some people.

What is the rifle? How much are you willing to spend? Is there a reason why you want that particular rifle re-barreled? Sentimental value, want a easier shooting round, cost of ammo, accuracy?

I charge $300 to rebarrel not including the new barrel, assuming its not already chambered and threaded. Includes cleaning up the action, lapping the lugs, etc.. Different case head size and caliber has to be addressed per make/model. 700 no problem opening up the bolt or replacing. But add another $150+ to the cost for a new bolt. Savages just the bolt head can be changed. Tikkas may need a new bolt. Each situation will require its own research. Several things to take in to consideration. The cheapest option will almost always be to just buy another gun. But a good smith can take a average firearm and make it exceptional. I built a 6.5-284 out of a old .270, new barrel of course, and stock, and well everything but the action really. Turned a $250 gun into a $6000 gun. Also turned it from a 1.0 moa gun to a 1/4moa gun. With a range well over a 1000 yards.

Offroad….This SHOULD have been a new thread. Read post # 19 for the current topic.
Its about lever guns,30-30 or 307 to 38-55 conversion,etc.

I've only had one rifle re-barreled and, considering the cost and length of time it took, would never have a hunting rifle re-barreled. Trade it or sell it, and buy one with the chambering you want, preferably new, but consider used, provided you know a LOT about evaluating used guns. I sense from your previous question that you may not.

Back