Recent SKS Prices

i saw mismatched chineese sks's at gunshows 2 years ago advertized as "sk47". and were sold for $500+.

now im seeing the same guns for $400.

Used Yugos in the local classifieds here go for $180 to $300, mostly in the lower range. Every now and then one of the various Norincos pops up for a few hundred or more, depending on the model.

It's the WASRs that are all over the map - $375 to $900, I kid you not!

My run of the mill Yugo has been ol' reliable. I know that a sample of one is no sample at all, but there you are.

Got my Russian -all serial #s matching- for $375. Great gun. No probs/jams with it after 600 rounds. Would like to pick up a Norinco for tactical mods in here in So. Cal. if anyone is selling.

Yugoslav SKS

I just bought my unissued, cosmoline filled, Yugoslav SKS for $400 (plus tax). I'd been watching them for over a year and they're actually heading back up in price...that's why I bought. I'd flirted with a MAS 49, similar system, heavier & ammo was harder to come by (but I was willing to try my hand at re-loading for it), but the extra $100 to $150 for a rifle nowhere near unissued condition seemed to more than negate any advantage the MAS 49 held.

I'm very happy with my purchase, although I wanted to buy when prices were around $300 a year ago, but I got caught thinking they'd keep falling...they didn't. It's definitely a free-market value item. I don't think the prices will be coming down - gold/silver just hit another record & the same folks buying PM's are buying guns.

As far as the gas issues are concerned - I think some of the problems have been misunderstood. The LGS owner near me gets calls constantly from new Yugo owners who've inadvertantly moved the grenade launcher gas valve. Most of the owners I've spoken to seem to love their SKS, and most of the folks I talk to specifically bought a Yugoslav SKS for better workmanship (I'll stop shy of craftsmanship). Still, for the price, I don't think there's a better system/platform out there.

Right now there are some good deals on surplus Yugslav ammo ON stripper clips and shipped by the case, sometimes no shipping! That's a real benefit, at least for me, as I have a 1000 rounds & on my way to acquiring 10,000!

Count me as a happy camper!

I've owned at least 30 SKSs over the years, and still own over a dozen. I had to buy 7 yugos to get three that were reliable. this was back in 2001 or so when they were first imported andas I recall they all came from the now defunct FAC.

The gas systems are a weak point in the design, have no questions about it.

Looking in my crystal ball, I see the prices of SKS/AK going up.

I'm not basing this on idiotic zombie, or gun grabbing fears, but a legit demand.

Here's my reasoning. We all know, (even if some wont admit) that they are not accurate, compared to ARs, M1As, etc. You never see them in HP or other serious matches.

Looking in my Crystal Ball, I see a change. We all know of CMP GSM Vintage Rifle Programs, but did you know the CMP has a Modern Military Program, (see CMP 2011 rule book). When it catches on, you're gonna find rifle matches for the modern military rifles such as the SKS & AKs. They will be competing against similar rifles and not Garands, Springfield's or National Match ARs & M1As.

When this catches on, look to see the demand, and prices, skyrocket.

Just look at what happened in the new Vintage Sniper Rifles programs. Prices on the scopes & other equipment for these rifles have gone through the roof in the last couple years.

I see the same thing happening to the SKS/AK in the future. If you want one I'd suggest not waiting.

Simple Gas System Fix

chack's post caused me to remember that I'd heard this somewhere before - AND that I'd read about a pretty simply fix on an SKS board (where the legendary Kaavi holds court - he's the guy who has taught himself the art of improving the SKS trigger group, engineering countless variations of SKS rifles, back to Simonov's intended design).

I went back there and found it rather quickly - anyone with a Yugoslav who has been burdened with this problem may find this very inexpensive cure, useful (may have even been posted here, I just remember where I read it):

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=4191.0

(...try doing some home-made improvisation on an AR... :cool: )

Anyway, hope it helps!

I bought 1/2 a dozen back about '91. All were 1954 milled Russians. IIRC, they cost me (I had an FFL back then) $300. I sold 4 and kept 2 for myself. Eventually I gave one to my son and sometime around 2000-2001 sold mine for $125. Sure wish I had kept it! :(

Recently bought a Mosin-Nagant for $90 OTD. ;)

I just paid $400 for my Russian Tula all matching numbers in great shape! It's not a refurb either. Considering what the prices for the Chinese and Yugo SKS are going for, I am hoping that I did well. Mine came from a collection that belonged to someone that had it for many years. I sure wish I could have got one a few years ago when I heard they were around $100, but it is what it is nowadays. Who know? Maybe 50 years from now when my son owns all of my guns it might be worth double?? :D:D

Back